Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

So what is offside FFS

Just seen Manure score a goal where Rooney was clearly in an offside position in front of the Preston goalie, just like Jerome a few games ago (can''t remember the game)Their goal stands & ours didn''tThink there was another example of this a couple of weeks ago in the PL and again the goal stood.Keown says the rule is if he doesn''t touch the ball, it''s not offside but Jerome didn''t touch it and our "goal" was dissallowedFFS, what''s going on with this crazy law?

It''s almost as if they are guessing and have no idea what they are doing?

Surely not!!?

Remember this is Man U they play by a different set of rules thanks to the gum chewing intimidating past actions of Fergie

I remember the season they dropped out of the old 1st great days

Rooneys not in the way, it''s the Preston defender that''s blocking the goalies view. Nice attempt at claiming he was impeding though.

Rooney would''ve been offside had he touched or been in any way interfering with play. He wasn''t.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Rooneys not in the way, it''s the Preston defender that''s blocking the goalies view. Nice attempt at claiming he was impeding though.

Rooney would''ve been offside had he touched or been in any way interfering with play. He wasn''t.[/quote]Think you''re splitting hairs there KO - there was no difference to the Jerome goal

The offside law is crying out for two changes. Firstly, the interpretation needs to go back to what essentially it used to be; namely that if you are in an offside position, unless you are lying by the corner flag with a broken leg, then you are deemed to be offside and flagged as such. Secondly, to reflect the way football is played nowadays, as opposed to how it was played in the 19th century, the law itself needs to be changed from two defenders to one outfield defender.

Can''t remember the Jerome goal, just commenting on what I''ve seen tonight. Can''t see the fuss in terms of Rooney blocking the goalie as he clearly wasnt, look at the angle from behind the goal to see its the Preston defender that''s the reason the goalie is unsighted and dives late.

As for the laws of the game as Purple mentions, yes there needs clarification and simple laws that are black and white. Rooney was standing in an offside position but was he interfering with play? You could argue the simple fact he''s in an offside position means he is interfering and therefore the goal shouldn''t have stood.

Forgot linkhttp://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/neil_adams_insists_norwich_city_s_disallowed_goal_should_have_stood_in_2_2_derby_draw_1_3893529

Dowd is probably desperate to get back to his pies in the changing room to be fair..

[quote user="Making Plans"]Keown says the rule is if he doesn''t touch the ball, it''s not offside[/quote]Keown needs to have his wages docked and then go on an offside awareness course. It''s Law 11, Martin, by the way.I think that Rooney was gaining an advantage by being in that position; the goalkeeper hesitated, albeit momentarily, because of Rooney''s presence. He knew that Rooney could have diverted the ball into the net, so he paused for a split second to see if Rooney was going to touch it or not. That, in my opinion, gives Rooney an advantage from being in an offside position.

Sorry meant I remember the incident but not the details. Thought it was more clear cut as Jerome was in the way of the goalie but can''t remember exactly.

As per the discussion in Beeb studio, the keeper saw Rooney as the ball was heading goal wards, hesitated because he thought Rooney was going to play the ball! He was interfering with play, offside always!

You''re right actually, very similar. I was just talking about physically being in the way of the goalie which neither were. It''s about the goalie thinking the player may get a touch to divert the ball and is therefore interfering with play. If Jerome/Rooney hadn''t been there, would the shots have been saved...probably, there''s doubt anyway so should be given offside.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]The keeper hesitated as he was expecting Rooney to touch the ball therefore he was influencing the play, isn''t that offside?[/quote]Unless you''re Manure.I agree it should be offside but there has to be consistency in these decisions but clearly there isn''t at the moment

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]The keeper hesitated as he was expecting Rooney to touch the ball therefore he was influencing the play, isn''t that offside?[/quote]Unless you''re Manure.I agree it should be offside but there has to be consistency in these decisions but clearly there isn''t at the moment[/quote]That''s because the law says "If, in the opinion of the referee". Different referees will always have different interpretations of those laws that allow them to exercise discretion; there are so many grey areas and fine lines regarding individual incidents that you will never achieve complete consistency. While the laws of the game recognise grey areas and allow the referee to interpret them, some variance is inevitable.

Should just go back to a virtual strict liability offence. If you are offside then you are offside and take out all the "interfering with play" uncertainty.

The keeper hesitated as he was expecting Rooney to touch the ball therefore he was influencing the play, isn''t that offside?

Got to be surely Drinks!

The alternative would be for the keeper to miraculously be able to discount Rooney because he wasn''t interfering with play. How would he do that?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]The keeper hesitated as he was expecting Rooney to touch the ball therefore he was influencing the play, isn''t that offside?[/quote]Unless you''re Manure.I agree it should be offside but there has to be consistency in these decisions but clearly there isn''t at the moment[/quote]That''s because the law says "If, in the opinion of the referee". Different referees will always have different interpretations of those laws that allow them to exercise discretion; there are so many grey areas and fine lines regarding individual incidents that you will never achieve complete consistency. While the laws of the game recognise grey areas and allow the referee to interpret them, some variance is inevitable.[/quote]

Different referees will have different interpretations depending on which team is involved. Has always been the case, not just with offside, and always will be.

The second half got off to a lively start as Sunderland had a

penalty appeal waived away in the opening minute. Alvarez took on

Williams and went down under his challenge but Phil Dowd didn’t give it.

That was a blatant pen that dowd didnt give a couple of weeks ago and he had a clear view, why are refs so poor

Rooney''s dive sums up exactly what is wrong with football at the moment. Not even a big talking point these days. How can anybody look up to Rooney when he is playing for England? Horrible man. Cheat ( in football and on his pregnant wife….). Roy hasn''t got the balls to say so. Give me international Rugby anyway.

I can remember when people would ask Club or Country as a serious question…. Is there one person on here who would put Country before club these days?

[quote user="KoromaCrab"]would people be arguing if Preston had scored a similar goal?[/quote]

That''s exactly the point. They didn''t score a similar goal and they wouldn''t score a similar goal.

[quote user="Dicky"]Rooney''s dive sums up exactly what is wrong with football at the moment. Not even a big talking point these days. How can anybody look up to Rooney when he is playing for England? Horrible man. Cheat ( in football and on his pregnant wife….). Roy hasn''t got the balls to say so. Give me international Rugby anyway.

I can remember when people would ask Club or Country as a serious question…. Is there one person on here who would put Country before club these days?[/quote]

There are numerous players who would have been crucified for what Rooney did. Yet dear old Uncle Woy merely sits there with a silly little grin on his face and says it wasn''t a dive. How about a bit of retrospective consideration?