Sign in to follow this  
rich

official game thread: Coventry (H)

can we just have all posts on the game in this one thread
because it makes it much easier to follow and much better
to have the conversation than 900 new threads.

come on canaries

just in -

Norwich: Green, Louis-Jean, Fleming, Doherty, Drury, Marney, Hughes, Charlton, Huckerby, Ashton, McKenzie.
Subs: Ward, Jarrett, Thorne, Brennan, Colin.

Coventry: Bywater, Duffy, Page, Heath, Hall, McSheffrey, Doyle, Hughes, Scowcroft, John, Adebola.
Subs: Ince, Morrell, Jorgensen, Osbourne, Shaw.

Ref: Richard Beeby (Northamptonshire)

1-1 that''s very disappointing start. when people at the game get back what went wrong. what were the good and bad signs. still 45 games to go, roll on a big victory over crewe.

Urgh they were all over us for pretty much the whole match by the sounds of it. I know I was only listening but the problem sounded obvious to me - many options, nil creativity. And thats what you get for playing a defender in the midfield. He might have done well in the pre-season games, but he is not a midfielder. This is where, going by todays game, it sounds like we need to improve.

Overall, it sounds like we were VERY lucky to get a point.

Went to the game & was not overly happy. We were second best in the second half. I think I''ll have to put positives then negatives or I''ll just rant!

Positives:

Ashton, Leon, Huckerby, Green, MLJ, Marney. Good quality players that will hopefully make the difference this year. Marneys cross for Ashtons goal was pinpoint. MLJ looked solid enough (after 1st couple of minutes) and has good pace. When we kept it on the ground we played good football.

Negatives:

No Shackell, don''t understand this, Fleming looked donkey-like and has no pace or aerial dominance! Doc was better but despite the fact he looked good in the air he gave away too many free-kicks and is not good @ playing the right pass. The best CD @ the club was on the bench!

CM not good enough today, probably the reason we did not get all three points. Now I''m not gonna complain too much on this 1 cos Jarret & safri are probably our first choice normally.

Now for the big one WORTHINGTON! No Shackell @ all and no Jarret till the 85th minute even though it was obvious that Charlton had had enough by the 70th minute. Taking off Marney, who looked quality and was delivering quality into the box. I''m not like a lot of posters on here that berate Worthy @ every opportunity but I have to question his tactics today.

Lastly I would like to say that todays disappointing result might kick start some of our players, bring on Crewe.

you could see there was quality within marney, once his fitness is top then he will be an important player. can put the ball on a sixpence which we have lacked for seasons on end. hucks ashton n leon battled as usual and gave 110. we lost the legs in midfield and after about 60 mins charlton should have been replaced with jarrett but this didnt happen and they were passing through us easily. hughes looked a much better player than he did at colchester.full backs were sound. and centre backs...well...we have to get this sorted! i was a fan of starting doherty instead of fleming but doherty was poor today. no shackell? this needs to be answered. creativity is needed. i think this will come though.the wake up call the boys needed even though its come after the first game. no need to panic at all. we will do just fine

Green - couple of very good saves
MLJ - good game - good pace - hude improvement on Eddie
Drury - solid - would prefer to see Charlton there
Fleming - Worthy please please please
Doc - looked dodgy today - as another poster said, how many penalties will AJ get
Hucks - fantastic
Marney - 10 times better than Bentley - great crossing - great pace - gets stuck in
Hughes - personally I was very impressed - a couple of good shots
Charlton - didn''t cut the mustard today - but would like to see him in the team at LB
Ashton - great goal - but got caught offside too often
McKenzie - ran the defence ragged at times, but wasted a couple of opportunites

I''d like to see Jarret come in for Charlie, with Charlie moving into LB. Shackell in for Fleming. Then I think we will be ok. If Shackell is injured, bring in Colin at CB instead. Please NO Fleming.

However, Worthy - PLEASE stick to your word and replace all the players who have gone. Our squad is too thin, especially as Safri and Jarret are both injury prone.

Fans also need to up the noise. Numbers were good - noise was not !

To be honest I didnt rate hughes too much, He spew some passes about, but some were really going off target. Doherty seemed his same old lumbersome self. There''s a lot of call on here to partner doherty with shackell, I''d personally prefer flem, He was far better today. As for the rest, most of the team looked like they hadnt quite gelled(spelling?). We have some very very good players, but we need a good midfield to bring it together, bring the ball up. Our forwards played well, but you have to get the service. It''s not a panic station situation by any means, but hopefully worthy can find the right combination.

calm down gang ! First games of the season are normally rubbish , remember our opening game of the season when we won this leauge ? 2-2 with lowly Bradford , that was hardly coming straight out of the blocks.

I think Norwich''s poor pre-season hasn''t helped and I think most of the players are still working towards full fitness and getting in form .

When we scored we took the foot off the pedal and it wasn''t until Coventry equalised that we started to up the tempo and look for a second , watching Norwich today reminded me of watching England when they play poor eastern european countries , ultimatley frustrating and not the goal fest we all thought it might be.

The only grumble I have is the same as everyone that Craig Flemming is past it and Jason Shackell should stand in but I can''t believe there isn''t a disciplinary or fitness thing involved in why he isn''t being picked.

I don''t think we need a major overhaul to the team , a few tweaks here and there and we''ll be right up there this season.

calm down gang ! First games of the season are normally rubbish , remember our opening game of the season when we won this leauge ? 2-2 with lowly Bradford , that was hardly coming straight out of the blocks.

I think Norwich''s poor pre-season hasn''t helped and I think most of the players are still working towards full fitness and getting in form .

When we scored we took the foot off the pedal and it wasn''t until Coventry equalised that we started to up the tempo and look for a second , watching Norwich today reminded me of watching England when they play poor eastern european countries , ultimatley frustrating and not the goal fest we all thought it might be.

The only grumble I have is the same as everyone that Craig Flemming is past it and Jason Shackell should stand in but I can''t believe there isn''t a disciplinary or fitness thing involved in why he isn''t being picked.

I don''t think we need a major overhaul to the team , a few tweaks here and there and we''ll be right up there this season.

We''ve really got to utilise Ashton more. The first time in the game that a good cross was put in, he headed it in...simple. The second decent cross didn''t come till late in the second half and then Ashton hit the bar.

Heard from a reliable source that Shackell has had a bust up with Worthy, what a surprise that he wasn''t on the bench after crossing swords with the mighty one. Doherty was a liability today, gave far too many free kicks away in dangerous positions and we were lucky not to concede from them. Flem was his usual crap self and god help us if this is our regular defensive pairing. We desperately need a central midfielder to replace Francis otherwise if Jarrett and Safri are injured there is no creativity in the middle of the park. We didn''t deserve to win but we did have far more chances than them especially at 1-1, Leon was 1 on 1 with their keeper who saved well and Deano was unlucky when he hit the bar. Hucks also had a 1 on 1 but couldn''t finish. All in all a very disappointing start to the season and I am more conviced than ever that we need another quality midfielder.