Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Neil Adams has returned to football

Last I heard he was on gardening leave, and intended returning to the club, in some capacity.

Yeah me too but he''s back in football according to an article in tomorrow''s EN by Michael Bailey. I did hear a rumour that Wigan were interested in him as a coach but that''s just the Malky connection. Plus if MM is sacked I guess Neil might stand a chance at getting the job there. Who knows.

Hopefully he won''t be anywhere near the first team. He did very well for the youth team, that''s where he should remain. However, if I was him I''d be looking for jobs in League 2 to build up his experience

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Yeah me too but he''s back in football according to an article in tomorrow''s EN by Michael Bailey. I did hear a rumour that Wigan were interested in him as a coach but that''s just the Malky connection. Plus if MM is sacked I guess Neil might stand a chance at getting the job there. Who knows.[/quote]Interesting rumour.I don''t have the stats, but technically his record wasn''t that bad.

He had a 34% win ratio according to wiki

Games - 32

Wins - 11

Draws - 8

Loss - 13

I guess 5 of those were in the PL, where he did terribly. He did even worse in this league imo. Like I said before, he needs experience and when he gets that I''m sure one day he could be a good norwich city manager if he does well enough to get the chance.

Wherever we end up this season I think we were right to change our manager. Neil, like Bryan Gunn, should never have been offered the job in the first place. However, unlike Gunn, Neil seems serious about coaching and managing again so I''d love to see him end up at a good lower league club where he will be given time.

[quote user="DundeeFc"]I''ve heard of Bryan Adams ...who is Neil Adams ? did he win any leagues[/quote]

Do you really have nothing better going on in your life than hanging around a Norwich City forum? Sad if true

Coach at Wigan would be good for him, I hope he gets a job in football, he is a good person and cant doubt his love for our club, but I don''t see him getting a managers job soon, unless somewhere like Bradford, or Oldham as their manager (Oldham) is being linked with the Bradford job and didn''t Adams have a connection with Oldham ?

Working with England youth players at a tournament in Portugal, good to see he''s still got a good reputation.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Working with England youth players at a tournament in Portugal, good to see he''s still got a good reputation.

[/quote]Really pleased for Neil. Hopefully he will come back and oversee our youth development in the summer. Giving him the top job was setting him up for a fall really, but we should neither forget nor underestimate the size of his achievement with the youth team – since 2006, the other winners of the FA Youth Cup have been Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Man City.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]so he isn''t coming back at the end of the season then?[/quote]I read it that this is just a short term thing, ahead of a tournament.The original intention, I believe, was that he was to return to us in the summer, and I haven''t heard anything to the contrary.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He had a 34% win ratio according to wiki Games - 32 Wins - 11 Draws - 8 Loss - 13 I guess 5 of those were in the PL, where he did terribly. He did even worse in this league imo. Like I said before, he needs experience and when he gets that I''m sure one day he could be a good norwich city manager if he does well enough to get the chance.[/quote]

NO Manager would have saved NCFC in the last  5 games in The Premiership. Thought we played some good attacking football under him, pity the defence were rubbish and really still not much better.

daly wrote the following post at 20/02/2015 1:28 PM:

NO Manager would have saved NCFC in the last 5 games in The Premiership. Thought we played some good attacking football under him, pity the defence were rubbish and really still not much better.

---------------------------

I disagree, but it doesn''t matter as past is past I suppose.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He had a 34% win ratio according to wiki

Games - 32

Wins - 11

Draws - 8

Loss - 13

I guess 5 of those were in the PL, where he did terribly. He did even worse in this league imo. Like I said before, he needs experience and when he gets that I''m sure one day he could be a good norwich city manager if he does well enough to get the chance.[/quote]I think you do him a disservice. He wasn''t terrible in the premier league, he had four games with a dejected team without a striker that you could describe as being potent. I thought, tactically he set the team up well in a couple of the games and got a good response from the team Vs Liverpool, whether set up wrongly or not. You look to your manager to give the players the right motivation.As I have said, he wasn''t rubbish, he just wasn''t what the club needed at this point in time. He also needed more time as a fledgling manager to build up his own skill base.On top of that, it is clear to see that bar left midfield he had tried to address the major concerns with the squad both up front, where he was more successful, and in defense, where he''ll be more remembered for the issue with Bassong. Redmond improved under him, as he appears to have done under AN.As for Dorrans and the other players we were linked with prior to the window, bar Andreau, it is likely that some of the others were already on the radar of our scouting network.That''s not taking anything away from AN - it is down to him that we get the best results out of the players and he certainly is getting that at the moment.

Basically I disagree with everything you''ve written about Adams there chick (especially the bit about the Liverpool game) except the point on attacking recruitments in attacking areas, that''s the one thing I think he did well on; Jerome and Grabban I think are brilliant signings, even though people give grabban a lot of grief.

I''ve discussed this all before though, (mostly with Jenkins) and past is past, there''s no need to go over old ground imo now.

I''m sorry - I didn''t read the stuff you posted with Jenkins.I was responding to what you said on this thread - which I disagree with.Some of what you said isn''t far off, but some of it isn''t right at all. He wasn''t horrific in the premier league - he had a pretty much impossible task and yet he took to it. People moan about not attacking enough in certain games, but the reality is we had rubbish attackers.I know he didn''t do well enough in his time in charge this season, but for a rookie manager, he also didn''t do badly and certainly didn''t leave us in a bad position.As for players, I think you also have to throw in O''Neil as another sound signing - and doing his best to keep the players he saw as important to the team in Hoolahan, Redmond and the effort he clearly put in to try and keep Surman.

Oh I wouldn''t of expected you to chicken, it was probably months ago. Apologies, I thought you were expecting me to reply (so I did).

I think we''re going to have to agree to disagree because I thought he was pretty damn poor as manager, not because he wasn''t ''attacking'' enough or anything like that, but because he didn''t seem tactically smart or aware enough and I believe he was pretty damn horrific in the PL. I don''t think anyone can say he did alright, or okay in the PL because that''s not right at all either; horrific is probably the best way to describe his games in charge in the PL, tactically speaking as well as results wise (except the Chelsea game where he did well).

Also I''d argue that he left us in a bad position this season, but am glad that Mcnally didn''t make it any worse otherwise the prospect of getting into the top 2 would be gone, instead of just the hope, which is what AN has given us.

However, I''d agree that O''neil was a sound signing as were most of his signings, except Cuellar & Hooiveld - with Lafferty also not really succeeding and Ofoe always injured unfortunately. Mcgrandles and Miquel brought in for the future (although isn''t Miquel like 22y/o?). Overall I think the transfer business was good, but this was many because we kept basically everyone; surely this was more down to Mcnally though? Perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. The only thing that annoyed me about the transfers was that we didn''t sign a left winger, despite having the whole summer. At least we knew AN tried to get Noone (though on the other hand Adams may have tried to sign a winger that we just don''t know about).

Anyway, my opinion is that tactically he is poor, but not bad in spotting a player or two....Although you think i''m probably being too harsh, I personally don''t think so. Saying that he''s a rookie manager I don''t think lets him off, in fact it makes it an even harder pill to swallow.

Yes, I think you are being harsh.I don''t think he was as tactically inept as you are making him out to be. In fact I think more than anything on the fact that you probably didn''t want him in the role to begin with. And as a result you will look at every 50/50 and see it as a negative.I myself prefer to give people a chance. He may not have been my first choice either - but the reality of what I would have liked may not have been the reality the club had to choose from. I felt confident after pre season and after the first part of this season. I didn''t judge him on those five games last season because they were a poisoned chalice.He had too much to do in too little time - he was never likely to keep us up. I felt he did ''ok'' considering the circumstances, the players to hand and the situation he took over from which was months of under-achievement, a squad of players of whom some were really not in it for Norwich City FC. As a result I feel he had to make the best of the players that were available to him. Tactically I felt he wasn''t as poor as Hughton had often been.As for this season, I thought he did ''ok''. However, this season that is not good enough. That doesn''t mean he is poor. It means he is ''ok''. There are a damn sight more managers and coaches that flop horribly before coming good in the lower leagues. I don''t feel that he flopped. I just felt that he needed more experience of implementing his ideology on professional teams in competitive leagues and situations. He might choose to do that at a lower level or he may come back to us and work with the youngsters again, who he has been able to inspire and coach to success.Poor management for me is represented by teams and clubs with ample squads who find themselves in the lower reaches of this league. The once much lorded Malky for example.

I feel like you''re being a bit harsh on me now ;)

I supported Adams before the season started. I don''t know if anyone remembers the first day of the season when we lost to wolves and we were poor, the forum went into meltdown (mostly binners on here to be fair), I think I must have created the only thread in support of the manager that day.

Personally I think he did a poor job overall though because I do think we have the best squad/team in the league, by quite a bit and he let us slip so far to where we should''ve been.

On paper we have the best squad in this league - arguably, but as a Norwich supporter we would say that. If you take a step back, watch some of the other sides and realise that some of them have momentum and success behind them you''d realise this league was never going to be a walk in the park.I didn''t expect us to hit the ground running in the way we did if I am honest. It was going to take a monumental effort to turn the mentality of a team surviving in the premier league losing more than you are winning, to change and become a team winning far more than you are losing.That all with the necessary changes to the squad over the summer and the drastic improvement of the strike force.When all is said and done - I still think there are a number of defenders in this league that would arguably strengthen ours. And to add to that, a lot of the players we have on paper - are good on paper because their most successful seasons are behind them.That may sound harsh, but think about the last time we saw the very best of some of these players before the summer. Wes has been a great servant to us and still offers a lot, but the last time he was a real regular was the first premier league season if not before.I think a great many people underestimated the task and possibly have over-estimated our squad - especially prior to the start of the season.My expectations were promotion through whatever means possible. I predicted that it wouldn''t be easy though, you simply can''t dismiss the likes of Derby or Middlesborough easily, and with the way Bournemouth had been playing. You have to earn the right to be in the top six in this league. Many good teams have struggled to bounce back at the first time of asking. Many an experienced manager has failed in that task.

On paper we have the best squad, not because I say so as a Norwich fan, but Adams said we''ve got the best side in the league, our board have said it, pundits have said it, fans and other managers have said it. We have to prove we can meet that expectation. Then of course there''s that old debate of; ''if we are supposedly the best team in the league, then why aren''t we top'' debate.

This season was always going to be hard, but I didn''t think Adams would have take us as low as he did with this team.

On a side note, there have been a few surprises this season; look at Wigan and Brighton. Fulham and Cardiff are also doing terribly this season (although most wold''ve guessed that as they sold all their players).