Sign in to follow this  
pete

You better get used to it

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]£40+ for a casual ticket really isn''t that unusual.[/quote]It doesn''t make it right though.

[/quote]Its the price.If you don''t want to pay it, or can''t afford it, you can''t have it.Thats life I''m afraid.[/quote]

It isnt that simple though I''m affraid. I can almost gurantee there are some supporters who pay for tickets that actually can''t afford to do it. But unfortunately there emotion and love for their club dominates rational thought. So they live beyond their means.

The club have some fans by the balls.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]£40+ for a casual ticket really isn''t that unusual.[/quote]It doesn''t make it right though.

[/quote]Its the price.If you don''t want to pay it, or can''t afford it, you can''t have it.Thats life I''m afraid.[/quote]

It isnt that simple though I''m affraid. I can almost gurantee there are some supporters who pay for tickets that actually can''t afford to do it. But unfortunately there emotion and love for their club dominates rational thought. So they live beyond their means.

The club have some fans by the balls.[/quote]Yes, it is that simple.If folks are spending money they can''t afford thats hardly Norwich City''s fault. They aren''t crack dealers.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lincoln canary"]....

I''ll never pay £40 to watch a football match.....[/quote]

Well it''s £35 at the Madejski now so you will be soon....[/quote]Lol! You can afford it when you''ve got Golden Coppells. [:D]

Thanks for a great debate, really enjoyed it, not enough debates like this these days on this board.

The thing is, it IS all about supply and demand, which is why not that long ago the club had many offers and special pricing schemes. Also, why now they do similar when necessary, like an early round Cup match against lower league opposition.

It is a very pricey day out though, particularly when considering you dont always get the quality of performance you expect.....but of course this is football and not the theatre or cinema and we follow our team regardless.

Whilst I thoroughly agree that £40 is too much, it really annoys me that the whole league seems to be jumping on the beat Norwich bandwagon when our neighbours down the road charged more. It seems their £43 charge is totally forgotten or is it only us they charge that much?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Thanks for a great debate, really enjoyed it, not enough debates like this these days on this board.

The thing is, it IS all about supply and demand, which is why not that long ago the club had many offers and special pricing schemes. Also, why now they do similar when necessary, like an early round Cup match against lower league opposition.

It is a very pricey day out though, particularly when considering you dont always get the quality of performance you expect.....but of course this is football and not the theatre or cinema and we follow our team regardless.[/quote]

The supply and demand argument is true up to a point, but it isn''t that simple imo.   If people think its too expensive and walk away and the attendance goes down, then the club would think, ooh, we better reduce the price to get people back in, but then they are losing both ways - they have lost a section of support,  therefore income - and are having to reduce prices, lessening income again.  

Its like what a lot of companies/businesses  do nowadays.   Rather than look after their customers, they charge them as much as they can get away with until the customers get fed up.  The AA do it - they have a phone line that you can ring "if you are thinking of leaving" - and they offer you a discount.    I''ve got fed up with playing this game with all sorts of people - different kinds of insurance, power, mobile phone, Sky, erc etc.  It is simpler just to walk away and forget any ideas of loyalty, customer service - because these companies show NOTHING in terms of loyalty to you - until you say "I''m leaving", then they start being more considerate.

Its a cynical world where if you show loyalty, you get charged more, not less.  Being a member of a football club (casual supporters book in as "members") should mean the club show loyalty and take care of you as a supporter.   But by charging almost effectively double to a casual supporter (even so called "members") they are not helping encourage new supporters or longer serving supporters who don''t have a season ticket. 

The other side of the coin is the season ticket situation where the club wants to have and keep as many season ticket holders as possible, so it keeps casual prices high to make people stay season ticket holders.   I guess its a balance the club have to strike, but fleecing casual supporters to the tune of nearly double what season ticket holders effectively pay is way off beam.  I''m also of the opinion they should  keep away prices down too, as otherwise the club gets a bad reputation for fleecing football fans.

We''ve had this before at cup matches where the price was too high - and people complained with their feet and something was done about it the next time.  The law of supply and demand may say, oh well the ground is full at league matches so the prices must be ok.  Well they are not ok.  £40 is overcharging, pure and simple. Goodwill comes in all sorts of ways.  The club has to make as much money as it reasonably can, but by being seen to overcharge, it will lose some goodwill and some of its good reputation, by home supporters and as can be seen, away supporters and people looking in. 

Or perhaps the actual expertise is pitching the right price at the right time.People will whinge, but they will pay.Derby fans can whinge all they want, and while a few will cut off their noses to spite their faces, I suspect they will be at the game in good numbers.Football is a product, not some misty eyed, jumpers for goalposts charity.As soon as the FA suckled at the money laden teat of Sky, things changed forever.

Currently a few things trending on twitter about this.Including people asking if we can support the Derby fans protest that they are planning outside Carrow road, against our ticket prices.Whilst I agree that this is a subject that needs addressing, I''m not overly happy with, all of a sudden, how Norwich City is the bad guy in all this.It is a league wide problem, all clubs are guilty of it, and we shouldn''t be singled out.

I may have miss-remembered but I thought the club make the opposition commit and pay for the number of tickets and do not accept returns, if that''s the case we don''t lose out if there''s a protest from the Derby fans.

Can someone confirm this?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I may have miss-remembered but I thought the club make the opposition commit and pay for the number of tickets and do not accept returns, if that''s the case we don''t lose out if there''s a protest from the Derby fans.

Can someone confirm this?

[/quote]Yeah thats pretty much how I think it works, clubs will buy tickets in block numbers.

I gave up my season ticket 4 years ago after buying a house.. simply couldn''t afford it and had to sadly make the sacrifice...

I''ve been to Carrow Road about 20 times in 4 years. Twice last season, Twice so far this season.. I''m a fully paid up super Member meaning I can buy tickets up to a month in advance before Season ticket holders.

I simply cannot afford to do this anymore. The cost is still heading upwards and will continue to do so... I await the days of £75 "casual" tickets and season tickets going up that the common man is forced out.

as long as SKY exists prices will never go down.. clubs could play in front of an empty stadium as long as Uncle Ruperts money keeps coming in.

[quote user="morty"]Currently a few things trending on twitter about this.Including people asking if we can support the Derby fans protest that they are planning outside Carrow road, against our ticket prices.Whilst I agree that this is a subject that needs addressing, I''m not overly happy with, all of a sudden, how Norwich City is the bad guy in all this.It is a league wide problem, all clubs are guilty of it, and we shouldn''t be singled out.[/quote]Not true. Not all clubs in the Championship charge exhorbitant prices. Certainly nowhere near the extent we do. I don''t have the time to do a proper survey, but our prices for the Derby game range from £38 to £48 for priority members and £40 to £50 for

non-priority.The casual adult prices at Watford tomorrow, which is just as important and high-profile a game as Derby, range from £26 to £31. I don''t at all blame Derby fans for singling us out. Actions have consequences. Anyone who defends our ticketing policy is then not in a position to complain about opposition fans slagging us off in public.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I gave up my season ticket 4 years ago after buying a house.. simply couldn''t afford it and had to sadly make the sacrifice...

I''ve been to Carrow Road about 20 times in 4 years. Twice last season, Twice so far this season.. I''m a fully paid up super Member meaning I can buy tickets up to a month in advance before Season ticket holders.

I simply cannot afford to do this anymore. The cost is still heading upwards and will continue to do so... I await the days of £75 "casual" tickets and season tickets going up that the common man is forced out.

as long as SKY exists prices will never go down.. clubs could play in front of an empty stadium as long as Uncle Ruperts money keeps coming in.[/quote]

Spot on. It''s a shame isn''t it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Currently a few things trending on twitter about this.Including people asking if we can support the Derby fans protest that they are planning outside Carrow road, against our ticket prices.Whilst I agree that this is a subject that needs addressing, I''m not overly happy with, all of a sudden, how Norwich City is the bad guy in all this.It is a league wide problem, all clubs are guilty of it, and we shouldn''t be singled out.[/quote]Not true. Not all clubs in the Championship charge exhorbitant prices. Certainly nowhere near the extent we do. I don''t have the time to do a proper survey, but our prices for the Derby game range from £38 to £48 for priority members and £40 to £50 for

non-priority.The casual adult prices at Watford tomorrow, which is just as important and high-profile a game as Derby, range from £26 to £31. I don''t at all blame Derby fans for singling us out. Actions have consequences. Anyone who defends our ticketing policy is then not in a position to complain about opposition fans slagging us off in public.
[/quote]Derby charged Leeds £39.Go figure that.

Ticket prices are too high. Especially at clubs with any connection to the Premier League. It''s now practically a given in football that any increase in revenue will go on the player budget. This appears to be what fans want if threads on here about ambition and Delia''s purse are to be believed.

If Norwich fans join in a protest about the price of tickets to away fans and yet haven''t protested about the price they pay for tickets themselves then they can''t be all the ticket.....

If we really are the "twelfth man" then some of these Premier league millions should be coming our way. I don''t know what the average first team wage was for Norwich first team players last season. But if this "twelfth man" was on a collective of £50,000 per week we could reduce the price of tickets by £100 per season. (My sums are probably way out, Purple will know!) But then would we be complaining for being a proper player light in budget terms?

Of course we get free football for the U21 games. But that''s too cheap!! Perhaps free football should be for those who pay the academy donation on their season tickets and everyone else should pay a nominal fee?

Ticket pricing is something that affects every fan in the modern game, regardless of who you support. If the FSF are organising a demonstration/protest that raises awareness of the issues then it should be supported by all fans.

In this one case it might be about how much Norwich are charging Derby fans, but it has the same relevance to how much Ipswich charged Norwich fans - or Derby charge Leeds fans.

There will never be concerted pressure on clubs to reduce ticket prices while fans bicker among themselves about ''your club charges £3 more'' when nearly every club is charging £10 - £20 too much.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ticket pricing is something that affects every fan in the modern game, regardless of who you support. If the FSF are organising a demonstration/protest that raises awareness of the issues then it should be supported by all fans.

In this one case it might be about how much Norwich are charging Derby fans, but it has the same relevance to how much Ipswich charged Norwich fans - or Derby charge Leeds fans.

There will never be concerted pressure on clubs to reduce ticket prices while fans bicker among themselves about ''your club charges £3 more'' when nearly every club is charging £10 - £20 too much.[/quote]Why does the protest have to be here though? Have it at FA headquarters. If its about football in general why single Norwich City out.I didn''t see the FSF complaining about Derby charging Leeds £39 or Ipswich charging us £43.I completely agree with the premise, and the bigger picture, just not this suddenly being about Norwich City.

Clubs with PL millions have it in their power to charge as little as they like for tickets. If I remember rightly the first time Burnley were promoted they rewarded ST holders with free PL season tickets. But of course the flip side is that any money used to subsidise tickets comes out of the player budget. Then fans will bicker amongst themselves about that.

We pay far too much for tickets is pretty much a fact. It is also a fact that we are prepared to. The PL themselves could solve this in an instant by ensuring that some of the millions go back to the supporters through ticket pricing. If clubs priced more then that money would be witheld.

Because, in fairness, it has very little to do with the FA. The clubs set how much tickets cost.

Also, having a protest at a football club is going to draw much more attention, the 27,000 football fans that are there, than having a protest in a quiet London street. Not to mention that large amount of media that are at the ground also.

These protests have to start somewhere, and Norwich are a prime target as we are considerably richer than pretty much every other club in the League.

Under your argument that, ''so and so are worse'', protests would never be able to happen as someone will always be able to say ''well .... team are planning to charge £45, go protest there''.

Also, the protest isn''t specifically about Norwich City, its about raising awareness for their ''20 is plenty'' campaign. I would expect there will be other protests across the league in other weeks, but the FSF isn''t a huge organisation with large sums of money so it is impossible to expect them to have coordinated protests at every match.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Because, in fairness, it has very little to do with the FA. The clubs set how much tickets cost.

Also, having a protest at a football club is going to draw much more attention, the 27,000 football fans that are there, than having a protest in a quiet London street. Not to mention that large amount of media that are at the ground also.

These protests have to start somewhere, and Norwich are a prime target as we are considerably richer than pretty much every other club in the League.

Under your argument that, ''so and so are worse'', protests would never be able to happen as someone will always be able to say ''well .... team are planning to charge £45, go protest there''.

Also, the protest isn''t specifically about Norwich City, its about raising awareness for their ''20 is plenty'' campaign. I would expect there will be other protests across the league in other weeks, but the FSF isn''t a huge organisation with large sums of money so it is impossible to expect them to have coordinated protests at every match.[/quote]The protest is outside Carrow road.It literally couldn''t be more about Norwich City.Regardless of what you say, and news or media will see a protest outside our ground and before you know it its about "Fat cat ex Premiership club Norwich City ripping off fans"Which we are no more guilty of than a lot of clubs in the league.And asking Norwich fans to get involved with the protest too? Lol, sorry, no.

So what if it is portrayed as Norwich City ripping off fans?

Isn''t that the truth? Just because other clubs charge that much doesn''t mean the prices aren''t a rip off.

Anything that can be done to draw more attention to the ''20 is plenty'' campaign is a good thing and Norwich should have some pressure exerted on them to reduce prices as they are one of the richest clubs in the league, like they should also have pressure on them to pay all their staff at least the living wage.

Just because you support them on the pitch, doesn''t mean you should support them when they aren''t supporting the community. A community they attempt to cash in from by claiming they are a part of it.

Norwich are our team, so we should be the ones protesting loudest about their behaviour.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So what if it is portrayed as Norwich City ripping off fans?

Isn''t that the truth? Just because other clubs charge that much doesn''t mean the prices aren''t a rip off.

Anything that can be done to draw more attention to the ''20 is plenty'' campaign is a good thing and Norwich should have some pressure exerted on them to reduce prices as they are one of the richest clubs in the league, like they should also have pressure on them to pay all their staff at least the living wage.

Just because you support them on the pitch, doesn''t mean you should support them when they aren''t supporting the community. A community they attempt to cash in from by claiming they are a part of it.

Norwich are our team, so we should be the ones protesting loudest about their behaviour.[/quote]Perhaps I care about my club being negatively portrayed and singled out?Sorry, but if I''m honest I really couldn''t care less how much Norwich City charge away fans, because I have also been royally ripped off by most of their clubs often enough in recent years.I repeat, this is a football wide issue, it shouldn''t be made to be just about Norwich City, just because Collymore says so.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So what if it is portrayed as Norwich City ripping off fans?

Norwich are our team, so we should be the ones protesting loudest about their behaviour.[/quote]Perhaps I care about my club being negatively portrayed and singled out?Sorry, but if I''m honest I really couldn''t care less how much Norwich City charge away fans, because I have also been royally ripped off by most of their clubs often enough in recent years.I repeat, this is a football wide issue, it shouldn''t be made to be just about Norwich City, just because Collymore says so.

Norwich are our team, so we should be the ones protesting loudest about their behaviour
.[/quote]Precisely, Bethnal. It is often the way with protest movements that one extreme local example can set things off. Norwich City only have themselves to blame if their extremely high prices are a catalyst. And the forelock-tugging notion that Canary fans who take part will be disloyal is hilarious. The more the better.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So what if it is portrayed as Norwich City ripping off fans?

Norwich are our team, so we should be the ones protesting loudest about their behaviour
.[/quote]Precisely, Bethnal. It is often the way with protest movements that one extreme local example can set things off. Norwich City only have themselves to blame if their extremely high prices are a catalyst. And the forelock-tugging notion that Canary fans who take part will be disloyal is hilarious. The more the better.[/quote]Will you be there protesting?I pay £21 a game as part of my season ticket. And I pay for it interest free over the year.I have to say, I don''t feel particularly ripped off.

Didn''t you just say you have been ripped off for away tickets?

This isn''t about season ticket prices (although they are also getting ridiculous), but the price for travelling fans.

Yes, you don''t have to pay for away tickets at Norwich as you are a home fan - but if you want away ticket prices to fall overall then supporting the FSF''s ''20 is plenty'' campaign is a pro-active way of doing so.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Didn''t you just say you have been ripped off for away tickets?

This isn''t about season ticket prices (although they are also getting ridiculous), but the price for travelling fans.

Yes, you don''t have to pay for away tickets at Norwich as you are a home fan - but if you want away ticket prices to fall overall then supporting the FSF''s ''20 is plenty'' campaign is a pro-active way of doing so.[/quote]I have already stated that I agree with the premise of cheaper tickets across the board.But, I''ll repeat, this isn''t just about Norwich City, and shouldn''t be made to be.If the FSF were organising a protest at every ground, I would be right there with you, but I think it unfair unilaterally protesting against our club.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It''s got to start somewhere, and what better place than the richest club in the league?[/quote]Are we the richest club in the league?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So what if it is portrayed as Norwich City ripping off fans?

.[/quote]Precisely, Bethnal. It is often the way with protest movements that one extreme local example can set things off. Norwich City only have themselves to blame if their extremely high prices are a catalyst. And the forelock-tugging notion that Canary fans who take part will be disloyal is hilarious. The more the better.[/quote]Will you be there protesting?I pay £21 a game as part of my season ticket. And I pay for it interest free over the year.I have to say, I don''t feel particularly ripped off.[/quote]No. Because this is not one of my five matches for the season. As a season-ticket holder you may not feel ripped off. By and large, as the same, neither do I. But I do not live in a solipsistic universe in which I only care about things that affect me. This is not about season tickets. It is about casual prices at Carrow Road for home and away fans, with the consequent knock-on effect on prices our fans are likely to be charged at future away matches.