Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Would anyone have Lambert back now?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Amazing.  Paul Lambert moved on three years ago. Its time we did. 

[/quote]And everyone in the thread has said they wouldn''t have him back, so not sure where you''re coming from here?Unless you are a bit mental.Or abuse solvents perhaps.

I would like a shot

You''re not old enough

Took me a minute to get it, but when I did, I chuckled. Wavney needs to learn to use commas.

Despite what has been said by a critic, not EVERYBODY said no, and the fact the thread was started means it''s still on people''s minds, or those who have ones that work.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Despite what has been said by a critic, not EVERYBODY said no, and the fact the thread was started means it''s still on people''s minds, or those who have ones that work.[/quote]

Yes, Gainer, that was my thought. "Amazing" that Lambert''s name keeps cropping up in threads like this. However, the critic has no time for anything I post, good, bad or indifferent so I''m no longer surprised at the level of his responses to me.

Before we got Neil in. Without thinking I''d have said definitely.

But after actually taking a few moments to think it over, even a month or so ago, even last summer.

Even ignoring the pretty solid notion that managers don''t often do well on return. His stint at Villa has really damaged his stock. Been relegation contenders all three seasons, we beat there league position his first season there despite Hughtons ''terrible'' football. I wouldn''t ever go as far to say Lambert got lucky here, he was a fantastic leader and has some pretty decent tactical nous in terms of setting up a side to attack.

But in League one it was so easy, Holt, Hoolahan and Martin was far too good an attacking trio. and even thought the stats for Martin especially, but also Hoolahan in terms of goals/assists dropped in Championship the high pressure and clever connection between then three, then the pace of Jackson introduced at various times mostly in place of Martin was enough to stifle most Champ defences. Obviously Lambert deservers crediting for building that up. But his defence was awful. Same at Villa, without Vlaar there defence is awful. And a lot of it was bought in by him.

There are a few things about his style he hasn''t got rid of, its cost Villa league places last 2 seasons, kept them near relegation. Even with Bentekes impressive tally last season. But the lack if goals over an extended period, without even tightening up at the back really is awful. And he just had no plan B. I''ll admit I don''t know how many options he had, but unless he''s had like 7/8 injured first team squad players, that is also partly down to him, or the board for not spending the money correctly in the right areas.

So in conclusion of this probably incomprehensible babble, I now wouldn''t take Lambert, even if Adams was still in charge. He''s gone backwards since leaving us, and it doesn''t work often going back. I still really don''t like when people are disrespectful towards him, he gave us an absolutely fantastic three seasons, which were followed by a potentially good replacement offering us some pretty disappointing football and taking us back down despite getting our biggest ever transfer budget. I don''t care how/why he left, Villa are a ''bigger'' club than us in many ways, it was another step up for him, a properly established PL side. I think under him, if he''d progressed with us, if we were his ''right club'' and he''s now missed that chance, we could have ended up in a similar position to Southampton, perhaps a little way off obviously because not as much money here, or players worth as much. But for whatever reasons, perhaps he just isn''t up to it it hasn''t worked at Villa, but I honestly believe it could have here. But not now not anymore.

And Alex Neil looks very very exciting, think he''s got a bit of Lambert about him, don''t want to make a direct comparison or say his reign will be as successful. But I can see some attributes he posses that look very promising, he could be so good for this club.

without discrediting the fine job Alex Neil is doing.....the vast majority of managers who are capable of organizing a team could get this group of players winning football matches in this league......and that would also include Lambert.

we just somehow managed to saddle ourselves with one that couldnt for the first half of the season....and even he managed to get us to 7th.

would i have him back?...............the classless way he celebrated Villa goals at carrow road and waved at our directors box when doing so, burned all bridges with the club and with me for good.

I don''t quite get it GP

You say he had no Plan B, he''s gone backwards since he left us nearly 3 years ago, say it doesn''t often work when going back, you brush over why/how he left, and yet, up to a month ago, you would have had him back!

Blimey, I''m glad you''re not our CEO!

He''s also left Villa in a worse position , than when he arrived. He''s had 3 seasons to get ''his'' team.

Once Villa go down, they may well stay there for a long while. Benteke will certainly go, Vlaar as well, and then what have they left?

I didn''t meant I''d have him back, not now anyway.

Don''t really know what i''ve written. Haven''t slept. But basically a month or two back, last summer, when we were first really really struggling with no light at the end of the tunnel in sight. Without worrying about managers going back not doing well, i''d have taken Lambert.

But thinking more about it, something I hadn''t really done, he''s probably never been, or going to be the right choice since he left.

we all know the good job Lambert did here.....but to the "outside" football world looking in, what he did with us was akin to say ,what Nigel Adkins did with Southampton....i.e take a side too big for the third tier up out of that league and then follow it up with an impressive second promotion.

When you see the kind of jobs Adkins has had since his sacking at Southampton....i.e 2 championship jobs at Leeds and Reading ...and now currently being unemployed, this is the calibre of job that Lambert can now expect to be operating in.

His failure at Villa means his credibility around the Premier League now means that he''ll find it hard to get another job there...his best chance to work there again would be to get promoted with another Championship team .....and if/when that happens, my guess is he might just stay with that team this time!?!?

As has been said, it was a while ago.Some managers when they get sacked look like they need to back in a job ASAP but Lambert looks like a man who needs some time away from football to re-charge his batteries.

[quote user="Robert Poole"]No, not now, we have a new Messiah.[/quote]After what I saw at Watford yesterday, Messiah could be a justified term.He played Watford like a fiddle.