Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

Ifs , buts, and maybes.

Firstly i''ll assume we all want us to beat Watford at the Weekend, and i''ll also assume we all want Leeds to beat Boro, and Sheffield to Beat Derby,and also Reading to US a favour for once by doing the Binners, which leaves Th Brentford Bounnmouth game, Do we want Bford to beat Bmouth, keeping them in touch with us (we effectively would have a 2 pt advantage due to our vastly superior GD) but us gaining 3 pts on Bmouth, or would a draw suit us better for now, distancing us from Bford a little more and catching up 2 on Bmouth? personally i''d prefer the Bford scenario.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]We need to stop worrying what other teams are doing and get on with winning all of our games, teams above will drop points, I don''t really care who against[/quote]Thats pretty much the long and skinny of it.Folks are working out permutations in their heads about X team winning, and Y time likely to get a draw away at Z.The reality is that we''re playing catchup, we just have to win as many games as we can, and hope that the points dropped by teams above us, is enough.The whole dynamic of it will change if we lose to Watford, which is a tough game!

Watford and Blackburn are massive games, and neither will be easy, win them both and we can start looking at all the permutations, don''t, and as Morty says the whole dynamics change, but l like what is coming from AN at the moment, good read on the back of the EDP this morning just want to see it transfer into points on these next 2 games and "watch us fly"

DDD got it spot on! As long as we win as many games as possible we have got a real chance. the Watford one is very tough! I''m quite sure AN will do the right thing in preparing the boys for it,...but tough to predict , this one isn''t it?

With a third of the season still to go there will almost inevitably be setbacks - we''re unlikely to go through unbeaten (but ought to be at the top if we do), and could as feasibly win the next three only to come unstuck and go on another poor run leaving us outside the top 6, as we could lose a couple now yet then go on one of those 81/82 style runs to nick a promotion spot. The only thing we can do is take each game as it comes and try to win them all, taking ''extra'' care not to lose to those around us.

As for tomorrow, I guess the ideal result in bees v cherries is a draw, or a home win - even were we to lose we''d then not really be losing that much ground.

One result away from the perfect scenario today, Well done Alex. The players must be brimming with confidence right now, bring on the games thick and fast now because we do have the squad to handle it.

Since the end of November all the teams in the league have played 13 matches. Over that period we have garnered 29 points, which is more than any other team has managed - we have been the form team of the last 3 months.

There are 14 matches remaining, but over the last 3 months despite being the form team, we have only gained 2 points over Middlesborough and Derby, who still remain 4 and 6 points ahead of us respectively. We''ve also made up 3 points against Bournemouth who remain a further three points ahead of us.

So if we continue to pick up points in the same vein, we still need two of the top three to falter sightly and pick fewer points than they have so far managed for us to catch them and get an automatic spot. Even beating both Middlesborough and Derby may not be enough.

Over the 13 match run we''ve beaten Watford today, but still only gained two points on them. It looks to me that if we continue picking up points as we have been we should get close to the tails of the top two without quite catching them.

On a very positive note though, over the last three months we have gained 6 points over the scum.

Afraid not, at the end of November we had 27 points and they were 6 points ahead on 33 points. By the end of December they had extended their lead over us to 11 points, 48 to 37. By the end of January they were still 10 points ahead. It has only been this month that we have managed to claw our way back to where we were 13 games ago.

A lot of you seem to be missing the fact that Boro and Derby have to play not only each other but a lot of teams in the promotion mix, not least ourselves. It really is in our own hands!

I agree it is in our own hands.....and I for one, despite being very depressed about our chances not so long ago, now believe that an automatic place is just within reach, which is really hard to believe but true !