Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Bassong

How much have we improved since he came back into the fold?

I know there are about 10 candidates for individual praise but thought I''d focus on bassong for now. For me, he is AN''s best signing. I don''t know what went on with Adams other than the rumours we have all heard but we badly missed him during his year in exile.

I kept mentioning him in summer etc and a lot of people didn''t seem bothered/ thought we were better off without him but he has come in and down how badly he has Bern missed. It''s no coincidence that people like Whittaker and Ruddy look better with Seb in the side.

Maybe next time we decide to exile a player we should make sure we have a capable replacement! Hopefully he can spearhead our charge back to the top ( without the captains armband ;-) )

Seriously? The ''rumours'' were fairly clear and anyone with that attitude would be a divisive member of a team. Looks to me like NA did the right thing and either shamed or educated him Iin recognising the bigger picture. Quite possibly AN has played a part in this, but whatever he is reaping the benefits.

Absolute class, but frightens the bejesus out of me with his casual mistakes sometimes. AN has got to find a way to keep those down to a vanishingly small number!

He had an excellent game today, the pairing of him and Martin virtually picks itself at the minute.

Even if it was the right thing, I think we massively underestimated his importance to our team. Proper money should have Bern spent on replacing him if that was our chosen route.

I zonally think that if he said something in the best of the moment, a few words with him would have Been better than excluding him. He s marginalised long before that after 1 clumsy tackle vs Stoke and our drop from midtable in the premiership to mid table in the championship in that time was telling.

What happened when Wes called the club a sh1thouse? A few words in private and then back in the side when the next opening due to injury/ form happened. That is how bassong should have been dealt with. Football unfortunately is a results based business and sometimes emotion needs to be dealt with differently to normal.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Even if it was the right thing, I think we massively underestimated his importance to our team. Proper money should have Bern spent on replacing him if that was our chosen route.

I zonally think that if he said something in the best of the moment, a few words with him would have Been better than excluding him. He s marginalised long before that after 1 clumsy tackle vs Stoke and our drop from midtable in the premiership to mid table in the championship in that time was telling.

What happened when Wes called the club a sh1thouse? A few words in private and then back in the side when the next opening due to injury/ form happened. That is how bassong should have been dealt with. Football unfortunately is a results based business and sometimes emotion needs to be dealt with differently to normal.[/quote]Hmmm, remember the gun picture incident?I get the impression that Bassong really isn''t the sharpest.If you believe what you are told, then I don''t think he left Adams with any choice.

He spat his dummy was made to sit on the naughty step and is now being a good boy. Neil Adams made a good call and AN is now reaping the rewards by rewarding him with a deserved place in the team.

He played well today so I''m glad he''s back but fully understand why Adams got angry with him, he was very naughty!

Like I said, he was an idiot but it should have been dealt with like the wes incident. Dunno what possessed us to let Watford borrow him.

I guess you can''t make every call right and we didn''t know the three CBS we bought to replace him were going to be duds nor did we know Bennett was going to get injured and turner lose form.

Anyway, glad he''s back and playing well. We would have struggled today if we had 2 slow CBs playing.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Like I said, he was an idiot but it should have been dealt with like the wes incident. Dunno what possessed us to let Watford borrow him.

I guess you can''t make every call right and we didn''t know the three CBS we bought to replace him were going to be duds nor did we know Bennett was going to get injured and turner lose form.

Anyway, glad he''s back and playing well. We would have struggled today if we had 2 slow CBs playing.[/quote]Lets not assume that the Wes and Bassong incidents were entirely the same.Or assume that whatever way we dealt with both was wrong.

I thought he was harshly dealt with after being dropped after the Stoke game. Yes he wasn''t in the best form but it wasn''t long after one of his best games for us in the 0-0 vs man city and he never got a chance after that Stoke match even though we needed him.

I bet he would have kept rodallega quiet that day...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I thought he was harshly dealt with after being dropped after the Stoke game. Yes he wasn''t in the best form but it wasn''t long after one of his best games for us in the 0-0 vs man city and he never got a chance after that Stoke match even though we needed him.

I bet he would have kept rodallega quiet that day...[/quote]I think we all agree he is a good player, when properly motivated, and his head is in the game.

Look at how Suarez was handled at Liverpool or Tevez at city when he ran off for 6 months! At the end of the day, you need your best players on the pitch and must try everything to keep them on side short of undermining the club. Bassong at his best is as important to us as Tevez was to man city.

Like I say though, we only know the rumours and not the true extent of what happened. Weird how he is okay to play with the ''nobody'' Alex Neil though after his alleged comments to Adams.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Look at how Suarez was handled at Liverpool or Tevez at city when he ran off for 6 months! At the end of the day, you need your best players on the pitch and must try everything to keep them on side short of undermining the club. Bassong at his best is as important to us as Tevez was to man city.

Like I say though, we only know the rumours and not the true extent of what happened. Weird how he is okay to play with the ''nobody'' Alex Neil though after his alleged comments to Adams.[/quote]Yes, it is quite odd.Did he learn his lesson perhaps?I have to fall on the side of Bassong being a bit of a d1ck here I''m afraid.Obviously I''m happy its all patched up now, and everyone is friends.

When he first arrived in the PL at Newcastle he was voted Player of the Season but when they were relegated he chose not to stay. His loyalty to Hughton, forged at Newcastle, apparently didn''t extend to playing for him or NUFC in the Championship. In that sense I feel his reported reaction to Hughton being replaced by Adams was a bit hypocritical. Good player for us, but prone to slips in concentration. That said, his is a typical rags to riches African football story; he''s made mistakes career-wise but done pretty well. Shame is I think he could have achieved more.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Look at how Suarez was handled at Liverpool or Tevez at city when he ran off for 6 months! At the end of the day, you need your best players on the pitch and must try everything to keep them on side short of undermining the club. Bassong at his best is as important to us as Tevez was to man city.

Like I say though, we only know the rumours and not the true extent of what happened. Weird how he is okay to play with the ''nobody'' Alex Neil though after his alleged comments to Adams.[/quote]

I totally agree. This showed Neil Adams up as a totally naïve novice manager not wanting to negotiate a agreement with Bassong. Even last season our best defensive performances were when Bassong was in the team, some fans seem to want him to fail similar to Whitaker.

As Darel Russell described his attmpts at "tippy tappy" football at the back and his showing off to Troy Deeney last night, i couldn''t help wince and sigh thinking to myself ''typical''. Alongside the ''gun pose'' incident on twitter and his aledged ''throwing the rattle out the pram'' fiasco during Adams'' reign, he seems to me quite plainly vain, immature and outright dumb.Mind it''s a condition shared among a great many of talented footballers these days; in this sense Bassong is far from unique among a group of exceptional athletes who show signs of unmistakeable narcissism and lack of intelligence (thanks to living a life with as complicated a routine as that of a hampster in a cage adorned with a state of the art wheel). As such i fail to take Bassong''s case specifically to heart or else i then find myself loathing the nature of the modern game as a whole.Since he''s a talented footballer, and i must indulge my passion for Norwich City, i''d have to say let him play so long as he can be considered an asset and set him adrift when he''s of no longer use. Right now, under Alex Neil''s strict discipline, i suggest he''s showing sufficient signs of improvement and will continue to play for at least a good while now.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Like I say though, we only know the rumours and not the true extent of what happened. Weird how he is okay to play with the ''nobody'' Alex Neil though after his alleged comments to Adams.[/quote]

I totally agree. This showed Neil Adams up as a totally naïve novice manager not wanting to negotiate a agreement with Bassong. Even last season our best defensive performances were when Bassong was in the team, some fans seem to want him to fail similar to Whitaker.[/quote]Who exactly "seems to want [Bassong] to fail"? Some, quite rightly, are critical of his seeming lack of professionalism (not just at Norwich by the way). It is no surprise that Alex Neil has been able to get him on board again. A clean slate, and no interest from any PL club.

It struck me that a lot of the really anti Bassong stuff on here came from his unique relationship with Chris Hughton who Bassong openly admitted was a huge influence and like a father figure to him. I have always thought that his problems with the club at the end of last season and through the summer were through his loyalty for Hughton overiding his loyalty to the club. Water has gone under the bridge, he''s spent time away, there are no more transfer windows until the summer and Alex neil is not part of last season and the summer. It will be inetesting to see what this summer brings. I doubt he will get a better contract than the one he''s on here though.