Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

He's my first choice right back...

Why would I be banned - I''ve threatened nobody and neither have I made racist remarks.

You requested said thread to be pulled because you had no explanations to Green party policies - pure and simple, with emphasis on the ''simple''.

Shyster, you old devil, don''t take the bait from anyone pretending to be a woman when "she" posts. Miggins is probably Rhoys Wiggins. She has stalked me before, don''t set up a confrontation and just rise above her juvenile claptrap.

[quote user="GJP"]He has been a bit of a whipping boy/scapegoat. No getting away from it.

But it''s easier to see that he''s a good player when the rest of the team is doing well.[/quote]
[Y]

Bor Bor Bor ~ ''Shyster, you old devil, don''t take the bait from anyone pretending to be a woman when "she" posts. Miggins is probably Rhoys Wiggins. She has stalked me before, don''t set up a confrontation and just rise above her juvenile claptrap.''

Thank you for the advice, Bor.

Has to be said, she/he is a bloody good troll.

A troll?

I stated:

"He''s deserved the stick he got, just like he now deserves praise for playing well."

Your first post on the thread was then:

"Precisely, Nigel.

And miggins reckons I don''t know my football.

Pr*ck."

I don''t mind people disagreeing with me, but if you are going to start a debate, start a debate, don''t just start an argument, and then call me a troll.

If you disagree with me, state why you do, it shouldn''t be a heated discussion all the time, especially on a very good day for us all.

I questioned his place in the team after the borough, derby and Preston games but fair play to him. He has knuckled down and improved. It was never in doubt that he is useful going forward but he seems to be more solid defensively now. Perhaps martin and tettey are combining better with him now and he is less exposed.

I beg to differ Smithy. No way was he the worst defensively in all those games. Which is why I felt he was being scapegoated at the time. Why did you think he was the worst?

Yep looked good.

He has never been anywhere near as bad as has been made out, he makes a useful contribution going forward as well.

Definately been one of the whipping boys this season and I am pleased that now seems to be coming to an end.

I was critical of him earlier in the season and I don''t apologise for it, although I fully agree some of the abuse he received from fans was completely unwarranted because he always put in a shift.
I guess what''s also true is the couple of times Whittaker lost his place to Russel Martin, Martin had a good game. However the next game Martin would usually look poor at full-back. But that would get ignored.
One thing I disliked about Whittaker''s style of play, in his poorer games, was his tendency to dive into challenges where he was unlikely to win the ball - he doesn''t have the pace to recover if he doesn''t make the challenge.
But Russel Martin is playing very well at CB (ironically some of the people on here acting a big high-and-mighty about Whittaker have consistently criticised RM at CB and not given him credit as of yet). Whittaker has generally been OK all season, not the terrible problem he''s previously been made out. I think his confidence has improved greatly under Alex Neil with the Brentford game, and being trusted following that. It''s good to see that with the confidence of the team improving it''s more than evident he''s far from the weak link.

It took a lot of character for him to recover from that Brentford game, and a lot of balls for him to play in an unfamiliar position in such a big game in the first place.

Credit to the man.

Well I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, I think the reason why Whits gets scapegoated when we are poor is because he still gives 100% and never hides in adversity. So he gets noticed more.

I have always said I like Martin at cb. Even back in Lambert days iI thought he was quality there. He reads the game well and much of his good defensive work is through his positioning which stems from that.

Anyway, I posted this thread because I was pleased to hear Neil say Whitts is his first choice rb and am glad Martins still at cb. Having Bassong back and with Olsson at last finding his form we suddenly look really strong at the back.

He''s earnt a lot of respect from me for the way he handled himself when he was getting so much grief. I know people will say he''s getting paid millions to put up with it but he has show a lot of character.

Good luck to him because the better he does, the better we do!

Still the weak link- made a couple of quite simple things look far too difficult today.

Neil seems to like him and its working for us at the moment so well done to him but he is still the first player I''d look to replace in the summer, no matter what division we are in.

I have always rated Whittaker, both defensively and IMO, our best attacking full-back.

The scapegoating has been unjust.

The fact that he was a freebie from Rangers probably, in a perverse way, acts against him.

Why are some supporters so desperate for a scapegoat? I don''t get it. It is self-destructive.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, I think the reason why Whits gets scapegoated when we are poor is because he still gives 100% and never hides in adversity. So he gets noticed more.

I have always said I like Martin at cb. Even back in Lambert days iI thought he was quality there. He reads the game well and much of his good defensive work is through his positioning which stems from that.

Anyway, I posted this thread because I was pleased to hear Neil say Whitts is his first choice rb and am glad Martins still at cb. Having Bassong back and with Olsson at last finding his form we suddenly look really strong at the back.[/quote]

That first bit of your post in total rubbish- he gets stick because he gives 100%? He gets stick because he played poorly. He is now playing better so gets less stick. Lets not pretend he was playing great football a few months back and any criticism was unwarranted.

[quote user="king canary"]Still the weak link- made a couple of quite simple things look far too difficult today.

Neil seems to like him and its working for us at the moment so well done to him but he is still the first player I''d look to replace in the summer, no matter what division we are in.[/quote]Thats slightly unfair.Because of the system today, both full backs had a lot to do, providing width and pushing up in the first half especially.Lets not forget he was part of a defence that kept another clean sheet.

I think the content of your post makes the first part of my post right on the money King. But I''ll play along, what part of his game has improved? And back when he got all that stick what was Olsson doing better?

Olsson has been more disappointing than Whittaker this season. Garrido was unlucky not to get a chance earlier in the season, however he was injured so guess it forced the hand of the manager.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I beg to differ Smithy. No way was he the worst defensively in all those games. Which is why I felt he was being scapegoated at the time. Why did you think he was the worst?[/quote]

Don''t want to dwell on it as he has been excellent recently, but as you asked, adomah ripped him a new one inc boros opener, Jordan ibe was continually found at derby away and the Preston winger kyel Reid looked like neymar when he played up against whitts vs Preston. It may have been teammates leaving him exposed but he certainly lost the battle them days. Credit to him for keeping his head up though.

He certainly wasn''t worse than Olsson at Derby. Didnt see the other games you mentioned. But he is not responsible for the whole left side. I''ve heard enough at games and seen enough on here to know he''s been unfairly scapegoated. And I''m heartened to hear the manager feels the same. I''m loving that Neil was prepared to do that.

The booing he got was counter productive and not necessary. That should be saved for players that don''t try. The only time I thought it was deserved recently was the Preston game where we looked like we didn''t want to be there. It cost Adams his job that game which says everything but that might as well have been a decade ago as we are flying now!

Whitakers distribution is good and so is his positioning however he is devoid of any pace whatsoever

If he has Redmond in front of him & Redders does not track back he is in trouble

Looked good against Derby as he had Howson in front of him

One on one against pace he will always lose out - Olssen on the other hand copes with one on one (has had to when Hooly plays Left Midfield - indeed thats why Hooly not picked in that position for Wolves)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He''s deserved the stick he got, just like he now deserves praise for playing well.[/quote]

Of course it always depends on who is wielding the stick doesn''t it?

There''s some great points on this thread. Especially about Whitts character throughout all this. Adam Drury was asked about it a few weeks ago. He said in his time he saw a lot of players get unjustified stick from the boo boys and that the strong characters play through it while the weaker ones hide. Whittaker is obviouslya strong character. Just the sort we need for the rest of the season.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Back 4 were excellent today, Whitaker kept Anya quiet and he can be very dangerous, was great today, well done Whitts[/quote]Agreed, I can''t remember Watford having many chances at all.And considering they were at home, and how much their prolific goal scoring was bigged up, thats pretty impressive.