Sign in to follow this  
Jules

1975 League Cup Final - 40 Years Ago!

Can you believe it? On 1st March it will be 40 years since the 1975 League Cup Final! Time has flown by. I never got to go as my Dad couldn''t get me a ticket but he managed to get one from a Villa supporting friend. Unfortunately it was in the Villa end. He told me today how when Villa scored hundreds of Villa fans turned around and started laughing and jeering at him. He did bring me the programme back, which I still have in my collection.

I''ve just watched the first half of the final on Youtube and thought we played pretty well. We certainly took the game to them for large parts of the half. Apart from McDougall''s shot which was cleared off the line it was a half of few clear chances for either side, though I thought we shaded it.

Going to watch the 2nd half tonight.

Any one got any memories of the day?

I remember watching highlights of it on match of the week with Gerry Harrison on the Sunday. My first game was the 3-2 win against Arsenal in 1974 - the kate Terry Anderson played a blinder on the wing, but my dad wasn''t able yo get tickets , eithe that or that was what he said as we rarely if ever travelled outside of Norfolk anyway.

I was there as a 12y old and I cried my eyes out when we lost!!! Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it 40 years later!

Blubblub!

Division 2 sides. Honk Man Utd were also in Division 2 with us that year, the year after Dennis Law relegated them with the back heel for Man City. U.S., Villa and Utd all went back up

sadly was only 10 months old when this happened.....but did go in ''85 aged 10 and would echo the comments about the 100,000 people,...will never forget the sheer sight and the wall of noise that hit me when I walked up the steps and into the stadium.

....nearly missed out on that though....my father told me that he wouldnt have taken me that day had Chelsea had got to the final and not Sunderland ,such was their reputation in the mid 80''s.....(and evidently ,still today!)

It was an awful game and after 40 years I''ve thankfully managed to forget almost everything about it.

My first trip to the iconic Wembley stadium that I had only ever seen on tv before. Lasting impressions from the day are that Wembley was a dump and looked so much better on tv than it did in reality.That smell of concrete with decades of soaked in pi55 that stadiums used to have never leaves you.Expected to be jammed in like sardines on the terraces but have a memory of far more space to stand than I usually got in the Barclay.Awful game, both teams froze but a great day out all the same.Went back a few years later to the Sunderland final, another awful and forgettable game of football, even though we won.

Can''t remember much about the game after all these years.

I recall we didn''t well at all but were ok in the 1st half.

2nd half Villa created quite a number of chances.

Our best players on the day were Keelan, Forbes, Stringer & Sullivan - the defence.

[quote user="ricardo"]It was an awful game and after 40 years I''ve thankfully managed to forget almost everything about it.[/quote]

Can remember the nightmare like it was yesterday. The Villa fans were horrendous outside Wembley. Worst part  - In the ground, I turned to my Mum to celebrate when Keelan saved the penalty only to watch her face fall as the ball came back off the post. I just looked back to see Graydon score. It was all over after that, we didn''t have a sniff. Dreadful day.

Another miserable result in a year ending with a 5. I presume we avoided relegation in 75. Not the case in 85, 95, and 05. In 75 I was at FA Cup Final watching Fulham get beat but since then I have seen the light and supported City since 82 whilst at UEA. Dropped Fulham after they failed to get promoted to Div 1 that year best decision ever.

Lets hope 2015 is at last a good year for the Canaries don''t have history of City before 82.

I was there as a 11 year old and as another has said was mere disappointed with this result than the match against Spurs two years prior - which I went to as well. In this match we probably had the better squad on paper, but we froze. Part of that was down Bond''s biggest managerial mistake at Norwich - playing three players who were injured because they had got us to the final. SuperMac had a back injury, Machin could hardly walk and Dusty was a passenger all match. So played the match with 8 fit players really so it was a wonder we kept it so close. So disappointing, but at least we managed to win 10 years later. It would be fitting though to win promotion to the top division like 40 years ago though, hey?

[quote user="pete"]Another miserable result in a year ending with a 5. I presume we avoided relegation in 75. Not the case in 85, 95, and 05. In 75 I was at FA Cup Final watching Fulham get beat but since then I have seen the light and supported City since 82 whilst at UEA. Dropped Fulham after they failed to get promoted to Div 1 that year best decision ever.

Lets hope 2015 is at last a good year for the Canaries don''t have history of City before 82.[/quote]

Of course in 85 we won our only major trophy as well as being relegated. But the year ending in 5 stat is strong in our modern history. And we are already safe from relegation and out of both cups so that just leaves....

[quote user="Charlie Crickmore"]It was a dreadful game on a dismal afternoon. My particular memories -

Brian Little''s ludicrous haircut;

Johnny Miller dribbling into touch;

Was that the year of the green velvet suits?[/quote]

Those suits were hideous ! At the time Kevin Keelan owned a menswear shop in Anglia Square called, strangely enough '' Mr Keelan '', and he kitted everyone out in them, including John Bond.

I hope they negotiated a good discount....