Sign in to follow this  
unique

Healthy scenarios....

1) No promotion.It gives AN a complete pre-season, allows him to re-shape his squad where he sees fit. The relegated sides will come down without their main assets - Leicester (have they got one?), Aston Villa (Benteke), Burnley (Ings), QPR (Austin), Hull (?) or Sunderland (?). It won''t make next season a walk in the park, but Norwich have handled relegation much better than Cardiff, Fulham or this season''s candidates are likely to.2) Play-offs.Can be seen as a lottery, but if Norwich can continue to improve for the rest of the season and remain in the top six, the depth of squad will see them as play-off favourites. Three in-form strikers will be a major plus. If I had to choose a manager from the top six or eight teams to lead Norwich into the play-offs, then it would be a tight contest between Neil and McClaren.3) Automatic promotion.This will be gained by a superb run to the end of the season, and would set a great launch pad for the season ahead. To achieve it in half a season would be some feat by AN, and you get the feeling that he would make a better fist of things in the PL than Hughton could ever dream of.My understanding is that the new TV deal kicks in 2016, so if Norwich don''t want to be left way behind, they have two opportunities to catch the money train - this season and next.

[quote user="unique"]you get the feeling that he (AN) would make a better fist of things in the PL than Hughton could ever dream of.[/quote]Big thinking that is but I''m optimistic too. I''m sure though for all his failings, everyone''s utter hatred towards him, his boring interviews and bigging up the opposition, Hughton did guide us to one of our highest finishes in our history? Obviously we should have been relegated if we''d lost those games we won, the league had been stronger etc...

4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.

Scenario 1 not really an option, target surely has to be autos, yes nice to have the title and I''m sure if we can negotiate a way into the top 2 then momentum might be a powerful ally in the final games.

Play offs are IMO, a lottery and we only have that scenario when all efforts for auto''s fail.

But with both feet firmly planted on "terra firma" lets get 3 points at Blackburn, then start to look at whoever who is up next !!!!

[quote user="TomMoore"]4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.

[/quote]This is my expectation.

With two wins from eighteen attempts following Xmas 2012, the only thing Hughton was guiding Norwich towards was relegation. Thanks to West Brom and Man City being ''on the beach'', and the greater incompetence of others, Hughton is bridled with the '' highest finish for.....'' award.

I think it is of more interest to note that a Norwich squad ( shorn of Snodgrass, Pilkington and Fer), sits 18 points ahead of Cardiff ( minus Caulker, Mutch and Medel ) and 20 points ahead of Fulham ( minus no idea ).

Under Hughton''s guidance last season, this Norwich squad was no better than that of Cardiff and Fulham.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="TomMoore"]4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.[/quote]This is my expectation.[/quote]

I always start to get concerned when fans start to expect things.  The best we can excpect imo is that the team tries their hardest and gives it their best shot.  Variables are how other teams perform over the next few weeks and it is quite possible one or two of those above us will still do well enough to stay above us - even if we win nearly every game. 

The only healthy scenario is that we continue to perform well, continue to win games and be competitive. That will ensure we are in and around the top two by the end of the season, but the only time we need to be top or second is after the last game of the season.  Hitting the top and pulling away would be fantastic, but expecting it is something else.

That''s true but the season didn''t last for 18 games after Xmas, there were a few matches before that. Victories over Arsenal, Man Utd et al. Saying other teams were worse than us so we didn''t deserve the position is a false argument.Alex Neil looks a gem.

the new TV deal comment is an interesting one!......because as its turned out this season isn''t the absolute must to get promoted ,its actually next season?!...............would you want to be the club/s who get promoted this season and then relegated at the end of next and then miss the huge figures coming into the Premier Lge in 2016/17?!?!?......maybe theres an argument for holding back on promotion for a year?!?!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="TomMoore"]4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.[/quote]This is my expectation.[/quote]

I always start to get concerned when fans start to expect things.  The best we can excpect imo is that the team tries their hardest and gives it their best shot.  Variables are how other teams perform over the next few weeks and it is quite possible one or two of those above us will still do well enough to stay above us - even if we win nearly every game. 

The only healthy scenario is that we continue to perform well, continue to win games and be competitive. That will ensure we are in and around the top two by the end of the season, but the only time we need to be top or second is after the last game of the season.  Hitting the top and pulling away would be fantastic, but expecting it is something else.

[/quote]What nonsense. I just have higher ambitions.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="TomMoore"]4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.[/quote]This is my expectation.[/quote]I always start to get concerned when fans start to expect things.  The best we can excpect imo is that the team tries their hardest and gives it their best shot.  Variables are how other teams perform over the next few weeks and it is quite possible one or two of those above us will still do well enough to stay above us - even if we win nearly every game.  The only healthy scenario is that we continue to perform well, continue to win games and be competitive. That will ensure we are in and around the top two by the end of the season, but the only time we need to be top or second is after the last game of the season.  Hitting the top and pulling away would be fantastic, but expecting it is something else. [/quote]What nonsense. I just have higher ambitions.[/quote]Thank goodness some of us have high expectations and ambitions. I really don''t know why the Football League don''t just hand us the trophy and prize money now.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="TomMoore"]4) The titleThis will be gained as the inevitable consequence of no team breaking clear, and so giving a very highly motivated, strong squad the chance to finish in first place. I would expect us to be in pole position before Easter, then slowly open up a gap.[/quote]This is my expectation.[/quote]I always start to get concerned when fans start to expect things.  The best we can excpect imo is that the team tries their hardest and gives it their best shot.  Variables are how other teams perform over the next few weeks and it is quite possible one or two of those above us will still do well enough to stay above us - even if we win nearly every game.  The only healthy scenario is that we continue to perform well, continue to win games and be competitive. That will ensure we are in and around the top two by the end of the season, but the only time we need to be top or second is after the last game of the season.  Hitting the top and pulling away would be fantastic, but expecting it is something else. [/quote]What nonsense. I just have higher ambitions.[/quote]Sorry, its not nonsense.  Having expectations is.  Its like expecting a bus to arrive on time.  You can expect it but it isn''t necessarily going to happen. Then what?  Are you disappointed? Angry?  Shout and scream because it didn''t? That way is only going to lead to negativity - the doom and gloom scenario.  The gnashing and wailing of teeth.  That is my concern with expectations and the only expectations you can healthily have (and the thread is about healthy scenarios) are ones that can actually happen - like expecting players to give 100%.    If you watch the team and it does everything in its power to get to the top, does really well, wins loads of games, but is pipped by two other teams who do even better, you will not feel that the team has failed as such, just been pipped by better teams over the course of the season and you get on with the play offs.  Expecting to hit the top as you say and pull away and you are almost certain to be disappointed.   It may happen and that would be fantastic, but expecting it is pointless.  The only target you can have is to win the next game. Do that and the ultimate aim is still possible.  You can hope Norwich get to the top and pull away.  You can hope they continue to play well.  You can hope we get promoted.  Expecting it is something else entirely. 

Ambition has nothing to do with it either. The only ambition a football supporter can can have is to be

a good football supporter and then hope that en

masse the fan support helps the team to achieve its goals.  

Before the season started I expected Automatic, then just a few weeks ago I expected missing out on even a play-off place......now.....I am back to expecting Automatic. Why? Because the squad we have if prepared well, with the right set-up and tactics for each match and if they all work hard and play consistently to their ability is quite simply capable of Automatic......I am beginning to believe again lol

I am entitled to expect whatever I wish. Whether that expectation is a reasoned one is open to debate. What I did not expect is for you to regale us with your mental health problems as some sort of justification for your belief that I and others should come to our own conclusions. But then I have not looked as closely at you as I have at our form and the fixture list.

That''s a really excellent perspective on things presented by unique. Teams we lost 10 points to last season now well below us without wholesale changes.

Percy, I love your retort to the dressing down attempt by Lake! Ya, I have higher ambitions too. It makes being a fan much more enjoyably exciting. I don''t want to approach an unplanned season, match, or 2nd half without my hopes up.

More importantly will we stick with him when we get promoted ? I''m sure many folk will be saying that as he has no PL experience he is certain to fail.

[quote user="TomMoore"]I am entitled to expect whatever I wish. Whether that expectation is a reasoned one is open to debate. What I did not expect is for you to regale us with your mental health problems as some sort of justification for your belief that I and others should come to our own conclusions. But then I have not looked as closely at you as I have at our form and the fixture list.[/quote]

Of course you can expect what you like, but whatever you think, some others will think differently.  I think differently and explained why, that''s all.  I have never expected that we will get promoted or hit the top and stay there or expected anything else from our club.  Even when I went every week years ago it was always with an air of anticipation wondering whether it would be a good match, a win, a draw, or a loss, but never, ever "expecting".   I''m sorry if you don''t appreciate that point of view.  If you don''t expect things, you can respond to actually what happens rather than what you want to happen.  It may be a subtle difference, but in watching football over quite a few years, I find that expecting something in the fortunes of NCFC is pretty pointless.

Btw, the mental health  stuff is just an insult.  Don''t fall to others'' level of behaviour just because you disagree.  And for the benefit of Gainer, I repeat, you can''t have ambitions for someone else, only hopes.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]One thing is for sure LDC. Is not a motivational speaker[/quote]No, but he has a more realistic optimism.

I cannot believe there is any suggestion that AN will be gone if Norwich fail or win promotion!

Have any of you seen or listened to the other managers in the Championship?

AN has a burning desire etched across his forehead. He speaks lucidly, passionately and infectiously. If half of his demeanour is transferred over to the players then Norwich should be dead cents for promotion.

The only reason AN will be leaving Norwich City any time soon is if homesickness becomes an issue or he can''t re-locate his family.

AN is bringing a breath of fresh to a club that has been moving ever so slowly backwards for two years.

It makes a change for a fresh new manager being given a chance to make his mark, rather than the same old dullards that move from club to club, dragging their over-sized entourage with them.......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TomMoore"]I am entitled to expect whatever I wish. Whether that expectation is a reasoned one is open to debate. What I did not expect is for you to regale us with your mental health problems as some sort of justification for your belief that I and others should come to our own conclusions. But then I have not looked as closely at you as I have at our form and the fixture list.[/quote]

Of course you can expect what you like, but whatever you think, some others will think differently.  I think differently and explained why, that''s all.  I have never expected that we will get promoted or hit the top and stay there or expected anything else from our club.  Even when I went every week years ago it was always with an air of anticipation wondering whether it would be a good match, a win, a draw, or a loss, but never, ever "expecting".   I''m sorry if you don''t appreciate that point of view.  If you don''t expect things, you can respond to actually what happens rather than what you want to happen.  It may be a subtle difference, but in watching football over quite a few years, I find that expecting something in the fortunes of NCFC is pretty pointless.

Btw, the mental health  stuff is just an insult.  Don''t fall to others'' level of behaviour just because you disagree.  And for the benefit of Gainer, I repeat, you can''t have ambitions for someone else, only hopes.

[/quote]

For what it''s worth I agree with LDC that resorting to insults when someone disagrees with you doesn''t look too clever.

Expecting things in life is a dangerous game especially concerning NCFC so I would guess you haven''t been expecting things from them for too long.

I always expect us to win and have done since I first started going in the seventies. I''m a born optimist. Sadly most Norwich fans aren''t. When we trailed Leeds by 11 points in League 1 I expected us to win the league and we did. Sadly I never put that bet on... [:''(]

It was not aimed as an insult. LDC chose to see it as such. My comment was in reply to this rather absurd over reaction to my suggest of what my view of the team''s progress might be.[quote user="lake district canary"]Angry?  Shout and scream because it didn''t? That way is only going to

lead to negativity - the doom and gloom scenario.  The gnashing and

wailing of teeth.[/quote]I do not think it is unreasonable to think that anyone who reacts in such an extreme fashion has mental health problems. As to insults perhaps you could tell me what [quote user="......and Smith must score."]I would guess you haven''t been expecting things from them for too long.[/quote] is, if not an insult.My suggestion for what is is worth is both of you would be better using your time to engage in the debate as set out, and stop making up stuff simply to achieve some strange kudos from engaging in umessary arguments. Or would that remove your reasons for being here ?

[quote user="TomMoore"]It was not aimed as an insult. LDC chose to see

it as such. My comment was in reply to this rather absurd over reaction

to my suggest of what my view of the team''s progress might be.[/quote]Personally I don''t see what interest there is in being told what this or that poster expects, or hopes for, or how ambitious he/she is for the club. Posts like that put an irrelevant personal slant on a topic and provoke similarly personal responses. You could have formulated your original post simply as a prediction that we would win the title. That would have focused attention on your reasons and given rise to a more sensible debate. And as regards reasons, the only one you give is that we have a strong, motivated squad. Are you suggesting Derby and Middlesbrough don''t have similarly strong and motivated squads?

[quote user="TomMoore"]It was not aimed as an insult. LDC chose to see it as such. My comment was in reply to this rather absurd over reaction to my suggest of what my view of the team''s progress might be.[quote user="lake district canary"]Angry?  Shout and scream because it didn''t? That way is only going to

wailing of teeth.[/quote]I do not think it is unreasonable to think that anyone who reacts in such an extreme fashion has mental health problems. [/quote]It is absurd to claim that wasn''t an insult. It was entirely gratuitous and made the more reprehensible by the history here, of which it seems you are clearly aware. And if you are going to ascribe every strongly-expressed response you don''t like to mental health issues then you are going to have to make that accusation against many more posters than ldc.

[quote user="TomMoore"]It was not aimed as an insult. LDC chose to see it as such. My comment was in reply to this rather absurd over reaction to my suggest of what my view of the team''s progress might be.[quote user="lake district canary"]Angry?  Shout and scream because it didn''t? That way is only going to

wailing of teeth.[/quote]I do not think it is unreasonable to think that anyone who reacts in such an extreme fashion has mental health problems. As to insults perhaps you could tell me what [quote user="......and Smith must score."]I would guess you haven''t been expecting things from them for too long.[/quote] is, if not an insult.My suggestion for what is is worth is both of you would be better using your time to engage in the debate as set out, and stop making up stuff simply to achieve some strange kudos from engaging in umessary arguments. Or would that remove your reasons for being here ?[/quote]

It is you that has made things up and need to engage in the debate, because you took some meaning to my post that plainly wasn''t there and then started going on about "mental health".    My questions were just that. Questions.  Asking what reaction someone might have if we don''t achieve what they expect to happen.  We see it all the time on here.  People who say we are the best squad, should be top of the league, should be winning  this or that because the opposition is sh*t.  And of course what they do is over react when it doesn''t happen.  You "expect" us to be top at Easter so the question stands - what will your reaction be if we aren''t top at Easter? 

Its a tough old league. We have no divine right to be top - even if we are the best squad or have the best manager or have momentum or whatever.  Expecting us to be top is just wishful thinking.

I hope and expect my team to go up this season, and am very confident we''ll win the title.

This doesn''t make me a ''dreamer'' or unrealistic, it makes me a football supporter wanting their team to do their best.

Stop with your lecturing and pessimistic attitude, LDC.