Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Blackburn v Norwich Long Distance Report

Just wanted to say what a great evening was had by those that travelled to Blackburn.  We were treated to another feisty and competitive performance.  The first half was scrappy, but we looked up for it - up until their goal when our defenders forgot how to jump and unfortuntaly their attacker didn''t and scored.  But we kept at it and how Grabban failed to score I don''t know.  Got himself in a great position in front of goal and somehow fluffed it. Ollson also had a good chance in that first half and could have done better.  Redmond looked a little unwilling to go past his man tonight - but I think the pitch had something to do with it as it was very cut up down the side he would normally run.  Their goal was disappointing but you always felt we would get back in it.

Dorrans and Redmond made way in the second half for Jerome and Tettey, with Johnson reverting to a more attacking role.   We immediately looked more comfortable and it was no surprise that Jerome got the goal.   We continued to push forward and looked the better side then the Johnson goal - which was one of the most uplifting goals I''ve ever seen.  In the the Norwich end we could see perfectly how the shot arrowed into the top corner. Simply superb. From then on in the result seemed secure, despite the odd scare.

Man of the match for me was Johnson.  Ruddy did well apart from one slip where he let go of the ball. Whittaker put himself about alot, got forward and also made some telling interceptions.  Martin and Bassong were on the whole effective.  Ollson did ok on the left too.  Howson was busy and had several good moments and runs with the ball.   Redmond was a bit restrained, partly because of the pitch - which was terrible in places.  Dorrans had some good touches, but still looked to be feeling his way in to things.  Grabban was excellent in the first half, a real handful - bur should have scored.  Hoolahan played well and with good committment to the cause.  Andreu looked ok too when he came on.   The manager got it right again with tactics and substitutions. So well done to all concerned.

All in all a fantastic result and a goal to remember on a cold evening up north. Great to see so many make the trip from Norwich or wherever and the Blackburn fans I spoke to were friendly too.  LDC set off from Cumbria in blizzards and nearly turned back,  but I''m glad he didn''t!  Another terrific performance and the team look really focused and intent on doing the business. 

Bring on the next lot!

Good report LDC was there also, tho Whittaker was truly dreadful, not sure how long we can get away with playing him, i am sure he wears toblerone on his feet and not football boots !

Glad you enjoyed your evening Lakey and as for you saying Johnson was man of the match.....praise indeed from his biggest critic. [:D]

That sums it up, pretty much LDC for me as well

Sorry Tim, but Whittaker wasn''t awful, the bloody pitch was though!!

On a side issue, how bad are Blackburn Rovers FC?

The pitch, the attendances (they seem to have a core of approx 12/13K!!), the hoofball (perhaps that is them adjusting to the pitch though)

How on earth they have beaten two Prem teams is beyond me

Jordan Rhodes has been substituted twice against us this season, and needs to get out of that Club, pronto, if he is to fulfil his career. Let them carry on pumping balls up to Gestede and Brown

We tried to play almost the perfect game, last night, building up from the back, but sometimes, on that pitch, it needed to be launched

Their crowd sang ''There is only one Jack Walker'', I''m afraid that is quite poignant, because unless another ''Jack Walker'' pops out somewhere, they are going to die a slow football death

A couple of things from me:

1. We looked very composed in the first half. Good patient build-up play. Dominated possession against a very physical and well organised Blackburn team (who have beaten a couple of Prem teams let’s remember). We couldn’t quite find a cutting edge but it was only a matter of time. Unfortunately, an unnecessary free kick given away in a dangerous area led to their goal. Otherwise, we bossed the first half.

2. Redders & Whitaker didn’t have good games but I put this down to the pitch. Whits made a couple of crucial tackles but as usual got nothing but abuse from a few idiots. He didn’t have a good game overall but the pitch was like an allotment on that right wing. At fault for the free-kick which led to their goal. Gave his man far too much space.

3. Dorren was excellent in the first half. A constant threat and looked excellent alongside Howson and Johnson. Was much less effective in the 2nd half when he was moved across to the right when Redders was subbed. Again, I put this down to the state of the pitch. Dorren is going to have a big say in our run-in based on last night’s performance.

4. Agree Johnson was MOM. He’s in incredible form. Howson just oozes quality – always creating space, lots of runs and clever flicks. They should both be playing Premiership football – hopefully that’s just a matter of time.

5. Grabban worked incredibly hard. Always looking for the ball. “Worked his socks off” to quote the gaffer.

6. Jerome was awesome when he came on. Strong, fast and inspired our resurgence after a dodgy start to the second half. Good finish.

7. Bassong and Martin look class. Very comfortable at the back and restricted Blackburn to a handful of efforts. Could have done better with the goal, but Whits shouldn’t have given away the free kick.

8. Alex Neil – what can I say? Unbelievable. What an appointment. He read the game brilliantly. Got the tactics and substitutions spot on – again. Constantly tweaking the formation. The lads didn’t stop pressing and grafting and the team spirit looks incredible. Not at any stage did I think we would not win.

Make no mistake – we are going up.

[quote user="chris bakewell"]Great report LDC. Who is the next lot?[/quote]Just meant "Bring on the next match with that lot from down the road!" [:)]

@Tilly. Yes indeed.  Johnson has gone up in my estimation, especially since AN came in. Credit to him and the manager. 

Re Whittaker, he always was in the match, worked hard, made some good forward runs and did some good defensive work.  He put in several crosses - some could have been better, admittedly - and his run led to the second goal.  Not a bad night''s work.  He made one or two mistakes - but then so did some of the others. The pitch was a big factor.  It was cut up all over the place, the goal areas were bare and the pitch down near the corner flag at our end was non existent! 

Interestingly, the last game they play at Ewood Pk this season is against 1p5wich.  Pitch should be unplayable by then!