Sign in to follow this  
deltic31

I was wrong about Alex Neil

He has certainly turned things around for us and got the team and supporters united.

I slated the board for picking him and I am more than happy to say that I was wrong.

Just goes to show that I know nothing about football.

Onwards and upwards OTBC!

After a handful of games?

Lets say he has had a good start & we are enjoying the football.

It would have been shortsighted to slate him before he has had a chance to prove his management style & influence the team, however, we have had a handful of games with him so really it would be better to take the long term view, how does he fare over a few seasons?

Yes for the record I am enjoying the games and in support of Alex & the team.

He''s silenced alot of the trolls on the pink un boards. I was also concerned at his appointment but was happy to give him a crack and not whinge about here mainly because it was Mcnally who found us Lambert and the AN appointment had Mcnally stamped across it. So far so good.

Credit for holding your hands up. But it''d be better if people just recognised how difficult it is to pick a manager these days and put themselves in McNally''s shoes. How would we like the responsibility of finding a new manager, what would we do, what choices would we make? Unless you''re a world club like Madrid or Chelsea or Citeh or Barca, where you just pick from the very best proven managers, it''s almost a lottery.

Yes you have to do your due dilligence, but in the end you can only pick from what''s available and half the time you''re on a hiding to nothing because you don''t know if what''s available isn''t all going to be a poor choice for your club. In the end you make your choice with the best of intentions for the club (provided you''re not influenced my some insane megalomaniac owner like Tan or the lunatic at Leeds). I''ve seen someone on here say that McNally "finally" did some proper work in order to find AN, which assumes that AN was an available and appropriate choice when we made the Adams appointment. Which of course he wasn''t.

People criticise McNally for the Adams and Houghton appointments but you won''t find me criticising any appointment McNally has made. I have always said and maintain that Hughton was a GOOD appointment because the absolute number 1 priority for the future of our club was to stay up in his first season and give us a piece of the new TV deal at that time. That changed our club and gave us something that would help us develop even in the event of relegation. Countless managers are good for clubs initially and then things turn sour, in fact that happens with every club most of the time. McNally made mistakes, i will recognise that, (as everyone in every walk of life does) but he has only ever made them whilst doing what he thought was best for the club, and the VAST majority of the things he has done have been absolutely right and often transformational for NCFC.  He has brought this club up by the boostraps from just another provincial little club among the masses in the middle leagues, to be a bigger, more established, more highly regarded club than it has ever been, at the top end of the English football pyramid and of which we can all be proud.

So for me people need to recognise two things: 1.that McNally is the main reason and the main catalyst for this tranformation 2. the reality that we have no divine right to be right at the top table and that we will constantly be fighting it out with clubs like Boro, Leicester, Derby, Forest, Wolves, Palace around the top two leagues.

A1 makes lots of good points, it is too easy these days when recruiting managers to jump on the same old suspects bandwagon, easy to go for someone like a Warnock or McLeish because they have some sort of history. But to target a manager, who it appears was blissfully unaware that were targeting him, and also was never mentioned by the media in relation to any other vacancies, so top marks to Mr McNally and co, great vision.

Other point we have no divine right to be at the top of the table, is of course correct, as supporters we have the right to dream and believe that we will always be progressing upwards and looking to establish ourselves at the highest level, and just maybe we have a manager capable of sustaining his level of confidence and wants to stay for the long term,

And, in line with the OP, I''m pretty certain we all raised at the very least an eyebrow on the appt of AN and quickly did our research on Accies, and questioned the sanity of the board as this season we were told our objective was to get straight back up at the 1st attempt, so he is not alone in doubting.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]''That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the David McNally party.'' ;-)[/quote]

Abso-bl**dy-lutely Rudolph. And for which i make no apology! Far too many fans have no concept of how lucky we have been to have him in charge of our club and not Massimo Cellini, Vincent Tan, etc... even Fernandes who while has had good intentions knew absolutely NOTHING about running a football club when he took over and made endless terrible decisions. I don''t care how rich you are, that doesn''t give you the right to just ''learn on the job'' and make it up as you go along with a football club. Oh, hang on....

They do say confession is good for the soul. So I am man enough to hold my hand up and admit I was entirely right about Alex Neil from the outset.

I stand by my quote from when he was appointed of "it''s difficult to get excited about an unknown." Never had any issues with him being appointed and still don''t. I''m not getting carried away though but I must say, it''s nice to be enjoying myself at the football again.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]They do say confession is good for the soul. So I am man enough to hold my hand up and admit I was entirely right about Alex Neil from the outset.[/quote]

Wow. Respect Purps. That took guts, coming out and admitting that. Well done. ;)

I thought appointing Alex Neil was a great idea – young, fresh thinking and on the up. However, I’m gobsmacked at his apparent knowledge of Championship teams and how they play. Tactically he seems more astute than some of the ‘wise old sages’ out there.  

I feared the worst after the Brentford game, when we really were appalling, but there does seem to be a good vibe now! I have always thought that with our squad, anything less than promotion would be a disappointment. My feelings are that Adams did ok - it would have been easy for the squad to fall apart after relegation and that now it seems Alex Neil is doing well - long may it continue!I too, agree with a lot of what A1 says.

Apart from the Brentford game where injuries played a big part, his team selections seem to be well thought out and he doesn''t seem to be scared to change things early when things aren''t working.If we achieve promotion this season legendary status will be his by popular acclaim.[Y]

Some comments from Rovers fansNorwich were miles better in every department.  We are unable to hold onto a lead Simon because we are unable to hold on to the ball.  Every situation last night the Norwich players had 2/3 options in space to play 1/2 touch football with.they seemed to have a game plan unlike ourselves and the fact that Rhodes was playing and they know how slow he is their

back four pushed up to squeeze the play into our half and left acres of

space behind them that everybody now knows Rhodes is too ponderous to

utilise.and finallyAnyone else notice what great football Norwich play btw?  Danced around

our midfield and Evans and Spearing were lost for most of the game.

That''s what a good manager does, he gets the results and where possible

he gets them playing good football.

I didn''t have a clue about Alex Neil. So I took my usual happy clapper view and whole heartedly supported his appointment. Paid off so far but I''m sure Rickyyy will tell me that Neil will run out of road in the end...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I thought appointing Alex Neil was a great idea – young, fresh thinking and on the up. However, I’m gobsmacked at his apparent knowledge of Championship teams and how they play. Tactically he seems more astute than some of the ‘wise old sages’ out there.  

[/quote]

Yes I agree entirely with that point, NM. Alex Neil strikes me as a very intelligent coach and manager. To give just one example: Almost everybody on this forum had Grabban down as 3rd place striker behind Jerome and Hooper. But AN has seen that Grabban has the qualities to hustle and cause problems, harrying after every ball and creating that little bit of space up front that is neeed to get a shot away. Playing this role so well has two added benefits. It brings other players into striking chances (viz. Bradley Johnson) and it slows down counter-attacking moves, in other words, defending from the front. So AN has created a great role for Grabban that suits him really well and the results speak for themselves.

Lets face it.....we were all wrong. Despite what some say about our CEO he does know more than any of us about football!!

If he does turn out to be another Lambert then his record of manager recruitment will be pretty good to say the least.