Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

RyBen

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Any news? He''s arguably our best centre back when fit.[/quote]
No.
But be interested to hear who, out of Martin and Bassong, you would drop.

Here''s where you are misreading "arguably"

When Bassong went missing and Martin played Right back, Bennett was out best CB. I particularly remember him playing well and scoring versus Hull a year ago.

He''s a good defender with great potential and i''m interested to see how far he is from being involved again. He was first choice last derby game...

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Not keen on SeeBass then?[/quote]

Massively so. He''s come back from a year in exile though. I have always wanted to see a RyBen and SeBas combo to be honest.

I think we''re still to see the best of Ryan Bennett. Has all the attributes to be a really top CB; height, pace (not off the mark but in terms of sprint speed), strong, composed. We''ve seen him have fantastic games, but also games such as liverpool where he can just want to get stuck in enough, plus he''s injured a lot.

Good reply Miggins. As Turner and Cuellar get old, we''re going to have to have a stopper in our ranks and RyBen is a good bet. I can imagine him still being useful this season, maybe when we''re sitting on a lead and need an extra defender.

Have none of you heard him referred to that before?

"Very composed".

Really?

Given time and space he''ll hit a decent pass every so often - like every player. Otherwise, he''s nothing special with the ball.

Never going to be more than backup for us.

I Like Ryan Bennett, but you wouldn''t put him in at the ahead of the others in the back four on current form. Personally, however I''d feel a lot happier if he was fit and ready to come back in should there be an injury or loss of form over the other options.

No, not on current form. But if people think the man can never be a regular starter imo they are deluded. These are probably the same people who said Bassong would never play for us again and that he is $hit.

would be very hard for him to get at moment, he will have to get fit, and then be prepared to wait for his chance, as much as we never know what side AN will start with, he seems happy with his back 5 (JR, SW, RM, SB & MO) which makes sense to me.

Going by this thread RyBen is probably the most overrated player at the club.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Here''s where you are misreading "arguably" [/quote]

Maybe you should explain what the context of the word "arguably" is when you post then we''ll all be clear.

P.S. Are you related to Reggie Strayshon?

I think Bennett is decent and when fit he will be there or there abouts.may not get many games in a 4 man defence but if we go 3-2-3-2 (wing backs Olsson and Redmond?) he''d be a good option to slot in alongside bassong and martin, that''s a solid back line!

Purely an off the wall idea but if in future we are a Tettey short and have a Brentford situation on our hands, could Bassong not push up into CDM and Bennett come in at CB?

The likes of Song, David Luiz and Kouyate who are similar types of players to Bassong can drift between the two roles. He has the strength and energy to play as an anchor man.