Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Forest v Bournemouth

That was (obviously) a very good result for us :-)

If we beat Middlesbrough we''d be 1 point behind them if we both won all of our other games, so technically no, it isn''t in our own hands - at least not quite yet.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Surfer, don''t forget Middlesborough play Derby & we play both, so I think that knocks one of them out.[/quote]I don''t believe that is quite right, Ron, but not for that reason. I think what follows is correct...If we win all our last 13 (which will NEVER happen) we get to 98 points. If Derby will all theirs bar the loss to us they finish ahead of us on 101. Middlesbrough, by definition losing at least two, would finish below us on no more than 96.But Bournemouth don''t play us or Derby, although they do play Middlesbrough. So if they win their last 13, including beating Middlesbrough (which again will never happen) they also finish on 98 and at the moment have a superior goal difference. So we could win every game and still finish below Derby on points and Bournemouth on goal difference.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Surfer, don''t forget Middlesborough play Derby & we play both, so I think that knocks one of them out.[/quote]If Boro beat Derby then (assuming we all win all our other games) we would be level on points with Derby; a draw or Derby win and we would pass Boro. Of course, Bournemouth are also above us and we don''t play them. They do have to play Boro but, in the above scenario, them and Derby could finish above us even if we win all our games.So it is not quite in our own hands, but our current form is so much better than Bournemouth''s (lost their last two, no win in four) that I can''t see them keeping pace with us. I really think it is going to be a close race between us and Boro for 2nd, with Derby likely to be about 3pts ahead. However, any of us three could slip up and, if two of us do, one of Ipswich or Watford could nick it. I think it''s probably the playoffs at best for Bournemouth and Brentford with one of them likely to finish 7th.

Yes Ipswich could drop out of the top 6, as could we.

But Watford and Brentford have tricky away games this weekend, and Bournemouth and Middlesbrough''s fixtures aren''t exactly automatic wins either. So in the best case Ipswich stay in the top six and we just jump over them to third and lie one point off 2nd place :-)

Yes, Purple, I did wonder if the goal difference thing qualified, but logically I suppose if we score n goals Bournemouth could always score n+1 ......

As you say, all a lot of nonsense. The chances of any team winning all their remaining matches is vanishingly small.

I predict an emotional rollercoaster for the next couple of months. Fasten your seat belts gentlemen!

The way we are playing I can see us going undefeated for the rest of the season the only real test will be Derby and possibly Boro .

I think this 6 games in 3 weeks  spell coming up will be the make or break for more than one team in the top 8. For us bringing in quality like Dorrans and Andreu is going to  been crucial in getting the maximum points possible out of those games. Bassong has been like a new signing as will be the return of both O''Neil, E Bennett and Ofoe. It should be remembered the team we had prior to AN was also missing an out of sorts Grabban as well.I would further suggest that come March 21st it won''t be as close as this, with 5 teams seperated by 2 points. Two or three will have broken  away and will be chasing the automatic places and the title, and one or two will have dropped back points wise.

Tom, we can all speculate but, of course, none of us know what will transpire. It has been fun just to see what happens one game at a time.

For my own speculation I went through the six game scenario facing each of the top seven teams and guessed how many points each of them would achieve. Naturally, I was biased in awarding the greatest number to Norwich....14 points. However, even with that bias, I did not see us making up more than a point or two on Derby. Happily, my estimation resulted in the greatest number of points being dropped by Middlesbrough and Ipswich during that spell.

I will be very surprised if your scenario turns out to be correct, i.e. three teams breaking away.The end of that six game spell will then see a break of a couple of weeks before the Easter programme kicks off. I believe Derby will remain as the frontrunner at that point and at least four other teams will believe they have a legitimate shot at the second automatic spot. We shall see.