Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Fans Turned Up - The Club Didn't

Well, we had the largest turnout in the division today and that performance deserves more than what was apparently shown on the pitch. Okay, it''s game one, no need to panic, but the early sign is a broken record, I''m afraid, i.e we badly need someone strong to take control in central defence. That needs to be dealt with quickly.

First of all, Fleming is not the man for this team anymore. NIGEL, ARE YOU LISTENING? Four or five minutes in, and Fleming is caught out by McSheffrey by pace and poor positioning. So he brings his man down and gets a yellow card. This is not the way you want a captain of any team that is touted as challenging for the top position to start out the first game of the season.

Putting aside why Shackell is not on the pitch ( because there has been no explanation, possibly he''s not match fit due to an earlier illness ), many observers have long since said we need a strong central defender, preferably to play alongside Shackell and provide solid organisation. We are weak in this position and it will cost us if not dealt with quickly. Also, by all accounts, Fleming was responsible for the Coventry goal, with one of the new team members pointing this out to him.

We have the funds from the Francis sale, it''s time to get busy with the objective of getting the best product out on the pitch. Incidentally, if Shackell is still not fit come the Palace game you can almost make book right now that Fleming or Doherty will concede a penaly or two to Johnson.

Yankee. The fans didn''t really turn up either did they. They were rightly nervous as the team lacked passion (or tempo as Worthy would say).

The fans also need to up their tempo and get behind the team. A nervous team = nervous crowd = even more nervous team.

We need to up the noise at these kind of matches. You can see why Delia had her outburst at times.

[quote]Yankee. The fans didn''t really turn up either did they. They were rightly nervous as the team lacked passion (or tempo as Worthy would say). The fans also need to up their tempo and get behind the te...[/quote]

I have to admit, although i was only listening so not really in any position to comment, it did sound very very quiet on the radio. I could hear the away fans all the way through, and when we scored I had to wait until Boreham said it was in the net, as even he didn''t seem sure

I could almost feel the nervousness of the crowd through my radio. I''m not surprised though, considering that performance.

[quote]Yeah, the fans turned up, but half of them decided to leave 5 minutes before the end.[/quote]

Well ... no they didn`t !!     maybe  your just in a foul mood  because we didn`t win 4-0 ! ?

As has been said IT WAS ONLY THE FIRST GAME!!!!!!!!!!!,yes they played bad(looked good in patches)and yes we are at least 2 players short of a team how will be able to challenge for the title.

Coventry is what we are going to get every week ,we are going to get teams who will stick 10 players behind the ball and try and catch us out as coventry did to great effect yesterday.

Believe me people WE ARE NOT GOING TO WALK THIS LEAGUE as many fans thing we will we will have to battle for every point we get and be able to break teams down thats what worries me as yesterday our midfield looked like it couldn''t open a garden fete!!!!!!!!!.

I still thing we need a centre half with speed and a midfielder who can pass the ball not run around for 90 mins like his pants are on fire.

As for the fans what a turn out but NO NOISE first game nerves?????.

I know it was frustrating people but lets hope NW reads these threads and puts it right anyway i can''t make the crewe game so for those of you who go make some noise!!!!!!!!.

Oh i bet there will be a shed load of goals as this always happens when i can''t go!!!!!!!

Well said Yankee.  If Worthy played a side that were in their natural positions, good enough to be on the pitch and not safe in the knowledge that their Gaffer will be using the same excuses, the fans might have made more noise.  People get excited about GOOD fluent passing football, not some of the stuff played on saturday.

Fleming is past it, was never right for it in the first place, Charlton is not a midfielder, and Shackel should be in the side.  We need a CLASS centre half NOW, plus another good left sided midfielder.

I am afraid YC is right. Flem has been an outstanding player for us in the past, but not last season, and it looks like he could be a liability this season. How he played EVERY match last year is beyond me.

We clearly need a class defender to play alongside Shackell with Flem and Doc providing the cover for injuries. Until that happens, along with at least one more quality midfield signing, we will struggle to make an impact this year.

[quote]Well ... no they didn`t !! maybe your just in a foul mood because we didn`t win 4-0 ! ?[/quote]

Ummm not I''m not in a foul mood. I no we ain''t gunna walk it. I said that in another post. I''m just saying that half the blooming stadium left before the match was over. IMO thats wrong but I have no right to tell people what to do or how to think. Just saying thats all. OK?

[quote]Well, we had the largest turnout in the division today and that performance deserves more than what was apparently shown on the pitch. Okay, it''s game one, no need to panic, but the early sign is a br...[/quote]

Hi Yankee,

I agree with your post 100%, Fleming is definately not the man for the job anymore and the quicker Worthy buys an experienced centre half to play alongside young Shackell (where was he today) the better.

As you say no need to panic quite yet, as its only the first goal, but if we continue to play Fleming and the Doc for many more games at the back,we will all start panicking sooner than later.

cityangel

[quote]Well ... no they didn`t !! maybe your just in a foul mood because we didn`t win 4-0 ! ?[/quote]

Yeah they did. Did you see all the fans streaming out of the stadium with 7 mins left? They players didn''t just walk out did they? Sorry I''m not having a go. Just stating my opinion. And as I said on the other post - I no we ain''t gunna walk this league. It''s gunna be hard.

Quote from Cheeky Monkey: "The fans also need to up their tempo and get behind the team. A nervous team = nervous crowd = even more nervous team".

This excuse has been used by far too many for far too long. I concede that this would have been more applicable last season, but that was last season. While our team should not expect to "walk" this division, there is ample quality and experience there that should negate the need to lean on this well-worn excuse. That''s what it is, an excuse. Of course, we need to strengthen in one or two positions but let us engage in intelligent conversation as we embark on this new season one division lower than last. We will face challenge from other teams not expected to beat us, but we should not be going up against anybody this season in a state of nervousness. That''s the excuse Plymouth and company should be using when they play at Norwich or Southampton or Palace. When I say the fans turned up, I mean they turned up in numbers, they have shown continuing financial support of the club, Thjey have roared through many difficult performances, they have shown patience on tactics when 25,000 people had to be scratching their heads all at the same time. Of course, it is always better when fans cheer loudly than when they don''t. The fans did that last season and won accolades for it. Even at the Fulham game the fans performed. This season it''s the clubs turn to lead and deliver. The club now has the scale to deal with the issues. It does not take rocket science to see where the gaps are and, quite frankly, the club is now "holding the ball". It''s time to run with it.  

I didn''t think the atmosphere was very good either. The Cov fans were making most of the noise which is a disgrace. I think a lot of people expected us to be 4-0 up after 10 minutes.

[quote]Yeah, the fans turned up, but half of them decided to leave 5 minutes before the end.[/quote]

I never understand fans who leave early! I went to the Newcastle game at home last season when Kluivert equalised with two mins to go! So many fans walked out in disgust when the Toon scored - lets face it a draw against Newcastle would have been a good result - and of course in their eagerness to show their displeasure missed a wonderful equaliser and fantastic celebrations! Call me greedy or tight but if I pay for a football ticket then I want to see every second of the football I''ve paid to watch! If Norwich were 10-0 down I still wouldn''t leave before the end even if it did mean being stuck in a large traffic jam!!!

[quote]Quote from Cheeky Monkey: "The fans also need to up their tempo and get behind the team. A nervous team = nervous crowd = even more nervous team". This excuse has been used by far too many for far to...[/quote]

I concede, as I agree that Worthy needs to strenghten the squad and at least replace playters that have left.

However, it would be nice if the crowd were a bit louder at home. Im a season ticket and go to about 10 away games a year. I love going to the away games as the atmosphere is electric. Norwich away fans are superb !!!

However at home they are hit and miss. A rock at times, quiet as mice at others.

First away game I can make this year is Stoke - can''t wait !!!

[quote]I never understand fans who leave early! I went to the Newcastle game at home last season when Kluivert equalised with two mins to go! So many fans walked out in disgust when the Toon scored - lets fa...[/quote]

Yey someone gets me! Anyone remember the Middlesbourgh game?

[quote]Yeah they did. Did you see all the fans streaming out of the stadium with 7 mins left? They players didn''t just walk out did they? Sorry I''m not having a go. Just stating my opinion. And as I said on ...[/quote]

Yup Shrub , there were a lot on their way out  towards the end of the match  !  but nowhere near half the crowd as you said , ... not that it matters  one way or the other  ,  they paid to come in , and , by cracky , they can go when they like  , LOL 

The fans were edgy and nervious but took their lead from the dross served up in front of them.

Coventry were a very poor side who created just two chances but fully deserved their draw despite the many chances city did create. 

On another day city could have won 4-1 but would not have deserved it.

The forward line looks up to it but will need some service.  We cannot just lump a big ball up and hope either leon chases it or deano flicks it on or that theball goes wide to hux, that is not a game plan that will get us promoted. 

Marney should give us options on the right butwe shall wait and see how he comes on but it was the centre of midfield that was so so wrong yesterday.  Charlie does not have the legs to be a midfielder; not his fault but the managers, and should have been replaced by Jarrett afetr 60 mins or so.   Hughes looks like a holt clone - plenty of running and full of endeavour but little quality and poor use of the ball.  Until Jarrett came on there was no midfield support for the strikers and I lost count of the number of headers the strikers knocked on only for there to be no supprting midfielder to take advantage.  Boy how we missed Francis in that respect.

Flem is a liability full stop - 10 times more so than the easy target of Doc who was OK.  He must be dropped or he will cost us any chance of success - the goal came from him failing to challenge John for the edge of the box header. 

Score - E - well below standard.  Needs to show significant improvement next time out.  Yet we still got a point and could have had three.

OTBC

[quote]Yup Shrub , there were a lot on their way out towards the end of the match ! but nowhere near half the crowd as you said , ... not that it matters one way or the other , they paid to come in , a...[/quote]

Ok maybe half the crowd didn''t leave but there was alot of fans streaming out of the ground.