Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Russell Martin

Not seen or heard him mentioned much but he was my MotM today- him and Bassong dealt with the aerial bombardment well and thought he was comfortable on the ball too.

[quote user="king canary"]Not seen or heard him mentioned much but he was my MotM today- him and Bassong dealt with the aerial bombardment well and thought he was comfortable on the ball too.[/quote]
I agree he deserves a mention, along with most of the team, when you have several different opinions mentioning several different MoM, you know the whole team has played decently. 

Agree, they both worked really well together to combat the ariel threat that the scum have, or tried to have. However, I also thought Ruddy made a brilliant save in the first half, I thought Tettey was also a beast, Johnson was once again fantastic, Hoolahan was exceptional, Grabban had an outstanding first half, Jerome made a huge impact as well before having to come off again. The only players I was a little bit disappointed with were Redmond and Whittaker.

Didn''t think the style of game suited Redmond- didn''t often get the ball to run with it and with Tabb on the left he was usually being doubled up on. Whittaker was his usual self- usually solid, occasionally a complete liability.

I thought Whittaker was worthy of a mention, very assured and probably only one mistake, thought he had a very good game.BJ and Wes were joint MOM but a great team performance, IMO

''very assured'' I''m not gonna patronise you and say ''did you watch the game'' simply because I disagree, but honestly don''t know how anyone could say that. The amount of times he gave the ball away... His passing and crossing was absolutely woeful today, but credit to him, he did look much more solid defensively which is the main thing.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I thought Whittaker was worthy of a mention, very assured and probably only one mistake, thought he had a very good game.BJ and Wes were joint MOM but a great team performance, IMO[/quote]Agreed. Whittaker did some very good things out there, Martin was strong and assertive and Bassong was all action too.   Agree on  BJ and  Wes, but Grabban was superb too, at running up front, causing all sorts of rushed defending.

It is interesting how different people see the same game. I think Whittaker was more involved in the game than Olsson, but personally just felt he gave it away too much.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]''very assured'' I''m not gonna patronise you and say ''did you watch the game'' simply because I disagree, but honestly don''t know how anyone could say that. The amount of times he gave the ball away... His passing and crossing was absolutely woeful today, but credit to him, he did look much more solid defensively which is the main thing.[/quote]

You must watch your own game Miggo. Whitts was the better full back again today both defensively and with the ball. Russ martin was the best defender over all though. Had a fantastic game at centre back. Again.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]It is interesting how different people see the same game. I think Whittaker was more involved in the game than Olsson, but personally just felt he gave it away too much.[/quote] He is showing better composure and confidence than he was earlier in the season.  There was one occasion today on the edge of the penalty area near the goal line where he was in a tight situation with an Ipswich attacker charging him down and he did a very neat turn and came away with the ball.  Yes, he did make a few errors giving the ball away, but he was not the only one.  And he never hides and gives it his best. 

I mean that Whitts was the best full back both with the ball and defensively. He has been for most of the season. I''ll bet the stats will bear that out too.

All about opinions, won''t argue he didn''t give it away, but then so did others, and seems harsh he gets little credit now since that Brentford game, showed great character (I''m not his biggest fan by the way) but do feel he has dug deep and did well in recent games as well as today,

@Nigel - I don''t understand the need to always compare Whittaker to Olsson- the game demanded different things from them today. Ipswich didn''t really attack down the right (no real winger and a CB playing RB) so his job was more to link up with and support Johnson. Whittaker had to worry about Mings (who he dealt with well) but his passing was wayward on a few occasions, often in some dangerous positions.

[quote user="king canary"]@Nigel - I don''t understand the need to always compare Whittaker to Olsson- the game demanded different things from them today. Ipswich didn''t really attack down the right (no real winger and a CB playing RB) so his job was more to link up with and support Johnson. Whittaker had to worry about Mings (who he dealt with well) but his passing was wayward on a few occasions, often in some dangerous positions.[/quote]

Despite that King his passing was better than Olssons. Which is even better when you consider the pressure he was under. Just checked the stats and his pass success rate was the best of the whole back four. The problem for Whitts is he''s one of those players whose mistakes get noticed and blind people to his real worth.

Anyway, go check the stats for yourself. It''s not a night for falling out amongst ourselves. I know people don''t like Whitts and really should let them get on with it.

Agree with you Lessingham, he''s been so much better since AN''s come in and (mostly) never shies away from the game. I singled Redmond and Whits out, not because they were poor, just that they didn''t match the rest of the team in terms of quality. Redmond did a great turn/spin to get round his man but then crossed it to no-one, for example.

No need for it to be a falling out Nigel- two fans can have different opinions about the same player without needing it to be more than that.

One thing I will say re stats- they are always lacking in context, pass completion especially.

Whittaker was excellent today. As were his all his colleagues in defence.

Not hard to see. Surely?

Kingo... I never fall out with anyone. I couldn''t care less what reason people have for their opinions. I defend Whittaker because he is scapegoated on here. Even today. If the stats said he had less goals, less assists, worse pass completion, won less headers, won less tackles and made less clearances than Olsson this season you can bet they''d be important. But because they''re the opposite they''re of no consequence.

Anyway, happy derby day Miggo and Kingo[:)]

I thought Whittaker was very good today. Fairly solid all game. He was good in second half of Blackburn (poorer in the first half against Blackburn). Credit where credit is due. Loads of good play today from every single City player actually. A complete performance for commitment and hard work.

Happy Derby Day Nutty. I would say we hope for many more days like this, but that would mean we''d still be in the same league, so perhaps just we''ll save it for battering them in the cups eh.

I hate arrogance in football because it has a way of biting you in the bum but the binners aren''t even close to us at the moment. And yet they''re the team with the rich nvestor. When I think back to 2009 I wonder how this could have come about. The only sane answer would be that our benefactors actually were always more generous than their investor. So after another trouncing of the scum I''m really pleased for our owners and thankful for what they have done.

Don''t understand the anti Whittaker agenda and never will. He''s a decent player at this level who has a decent game every week and never hides. He''s a long way off our best player but is our best right back and imo, has had a better season overall than Olsson so far.

Agree re Martin as well, today was one of his top 5 games in a yellow shirt. Looked like he wanted it as much as anyone and could''ve battled away and not given them an inch for another 90 minutes if he wanted to

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Forgot Howson as well. Very tidy, made us tick, the best players are the ones you don''t notice I guess.[/quote]

It''s his movement off the ball. When he plays there''s always someone to pass to or space to move into. Plus he has a real touch of class when linking play forwards and a decent shot.

I''m always terrified he''s going to get injured though, he''s another one that seems very injury prone

Whittaker had a very good game, saying otherwise is just factually incorrect.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I mean that Whitts was the best full back both with the ball and defensively. He has been for most of the season. I''ll bet the stats will bear that out too.

[/quote]

I''ve got to echo this and big Whittaker up on today''s performance. I''m not his biggest fan but he saved us at the back on several occasions today with timely and calm defending. Good to see him performing well. Martin and Bassong at the back seems to be an unlikely good partnership. Long may it continue