Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

History ... Does it matter?

Ipswich fans say we are too arrogant given they have a richer history than us in terms of the trophy cabinet.

They have been saying this for years, but mainly it seems when we are enjoying success and they are not.

Does it matter? Are ipswich fans justified in repeatedly questioning what we have achieved?

I think it''s a response to their embarrassment of having a team nowhere near the standard of successful ipswich sides in the distant past.

It''s the here and now that matters.

It depends on the context of the conversation. Portugal ruled the world for a short time, and Greece gave us Western Civilization , but that was hundreds or thousands of years ago. They can brag about that while being bailed out of bankruptcy.

So can Ipswich.

Nice one Gopher, like the comparison between Ipswich and the entire country of Greece!

Crabby, I followed a link posted on here to twtd the other day ... My first visit into enemy lines. I saw one post by a guy who''s avatar was Mick Shannon holding up the Milk Cup. But he had replaced the cup with the head of Mickey Mouse.

So that''s what they think of our achievement...

Indeed. So back to the opening post it''s not justified is it?

It''s all about the here and now, which is a nice place to be for us right now :-)

Yet ipswich repeatedly throw this argument in our direction...

Im sure they were arrogant way back then, not sure if I''m old enough to remember (haha prob am) they milked the moment, unfortunately nothing much since, its all about today, in football you never know what is around the corner, "Carpe diem"

When I was a boy WW2 seemed a long way off

now iam all grown up Ipswich winning anything is as far away as ww2 was back in the day

history is ok but its just history

The fairest rule I have seen for this is that you can brag all you like as long as you were alive at the time. That means most of them only have that freak season under Burley to brag about and they really pIssed that up the wall the next year anyway!

They''re envious, they''d love to swap places with us! A great history is a nice memory, but if your club ends up bankrupt and no more then history is all that you have!!

They often forget to mention their other record, longest uninterrupted run in the Championship!!! I think that''s funny because as much as they mocked us for going down to League 1, I believe it ultimately saved us as it forced some changes in the club which gave us the momentum to bounce back up and then up again!