Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

How hard was Johnson's shot?

Did a quick few sums and heard a timing that from boot to net, Johnsons''s shot took 0.328 seconds.

I then worked out that the ball travelled about 19 yards from where he hit it on the ground 16 yards out to the top corner of the back of the net (which is about 2 yards deep and 2.66 yards high) a bit further along from where he hit it going on the length of the pitch perpendicular to the goal line.

There is also the effect of gravity adding a bit of a loop to the shot thus increasing the distance the ball travelled as well though this may be pretty negligible given the short space of time.

Obviously these are only rough estimates but if they are true, the ball travelled at an average of 118.54 mph which would potentially be one of the fastest ever goals scored.

Even if it turns out to be 100mph with more accurate estimates it could be the fastest goal in english football supposedly ahead of Beckhams 97 mph effort in 1996.

It would be good to use the soundwaves of the footage to work out the actual time from boot to goal and some 3D vectors to work out the exact distance the ball travelled. Anyone got the capabilities to do this?

[quote user="lappinitup"]Have you ever thought about getting a job Jimmy?[/quote]

Jokes on you, I have one. I''m too busy in my spare time usually to be on here so most of my contributions are 9-5 Mon to Fri :-D

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Read an article that the Norwich Advertiser produced, they have worked it out at 82 mph[/quote]

They used an even more estimated 0.4 seconds as their timing. I reckon it''s worth a proper investigation if it''s a possible record breaker. Imagine us scoring past the scum written into the record books!

One of the hardest goals I think I''ve seen from distance would have to be this one.  All the more amazing when you consider he actually put control on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNObY2nqTY

If we''re talking about shots rather than just goals, David Hirst had a reported 114mph-er against Arsenal http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/feb/14/theknowledge.sport

Like a lot of things such things are open to conjecture, as shown by the OP''s calculation and the other one for Jonno''s goal.  How certain can we be of accuracy? Perhaps in time to come there will be a more accurate to measure such things.

I believe the award for the fastest ever shot/goal goes to Ronny Heberson at a claimed 131mph!  Yes, he did score it, blink and you literally will miss it mind you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSzwIBeihXA

From the clip I saw the trajectory was a slight curve, starting rightwards then curving leftwards into the net. That would add a bit extra to the distance travelled.What we can say for certain is that Bialkowski travelled nowhere at 0 mph :-)

I think if you take the curve and gravity bit out which only add a little bit of speed to the final number, you could get a pretty accurate measurement from the sound waves of the footage (boot to goal) and the 3d vectors wouldn''t be hard either as it literally went in at the top of the back of the net and it''d be possible to pinpoint where his boot made contact with the ball.

I reckon the club analysts have probably analysed it already so it''d be interesting to see what they think.