Sign in to follow this  
IPYellows

Wake-up call?

.. my ar!e. This is much deeper than this, we cannot expect to go up because we have the best front three in the division. We still need a midfield that cannot create and a back four that can defend! we have neither and I''m not sure yesterday''s result would have been any different if we had Shacks for the ''hapless'' DOHerty or Safri and/or JJ in the middle. NW it''s high time you invested in a centre half but more importantly a creative central midfielder, I''m becoming a little tired of all these ''versatile'' workmanlike additions to the squad you have made.

Open your eyes Worthy this is rubbish!

I was slightly annoyed to read that Worthy has said it should be wake up call for the fans that Norwich may not find it straightforward to get back into the Prem. I would suggest it is more of a wake up call to Worthy that he needs to sign another midfielder if we are going to mount a serious challenge! With Safri going to be missing for various commitments and Jarrett being rather injury prone that only leaves Hughes in central midfield who has yet to prove himself! We need more cover and quality cover Worthy!!

[quote].. my ar!e. This is much deeper than this, we cannot expect to go up because we have the best front three in the division. We still need a midfield that cannot create and a back four that can defend! ...[/quote]

''we still need a midfield that cannot create'' - fantastic freudian slip - I know you meant otherwise but Ithink we have one of these in abundance.

The only arrogance on display came from the city team who seemed to think that they would win this game without making an effort.

Not once did we win a 50/50 ball and only rarely did we pick up the ''second'' ball - coventry were much hungrier than us.

City seemed to thnk that just by launching the ball long to the front 3 would be enough to create chances and get goals.  We cannot be that arrogant again - Coventry were a poor side and while we created chances against them it will be much harder against the likes of the blades, eagles, saints wolves etc etc.

Worthy also has to find a way to play hux and two strikers without exposing midfield.  Part of the reason we struggled on sat agains was due to the centre apir having tocover hux when coventry went forward.  The gap is too big to ignore.

As I have been saying city have to be professional in the way they approach each game - this league takes no prisoners and unless the side buck their ideas up we will be destined for a mid table finish...

OTBC

Oh my god everyone panic... one game and all of a sudden we are mid table no hopers.

Yes I hope we buy another player for midfield and a centre back but those two players will not necessarily change everything. 

I dont know about the rest of you but after last season I found the atmosphere to be subdued because we expect them to be ripping teams to pieces in this league.

I think Scowcroft (I dont know how he stayed on the pitch) summed up this level of football he pushed, kicked, elbowed and all but punched Drury from the start to the finish. No finesse or ability if you ask me. But thats what we are up against and we need to remember how to play against it. 

Welcome back to Division One or ccc whatever its all the same.

Oh and against the better teams in this league we will do well its the poor ones that we always suffer against.

But there we are, at least we aren''t Palace fans.

I too was slightly disappointed reading about this so called wake-up call. A wake up call for whom exactly???

The fans are painfully aware of the task ahead, we don''t need a wake up call, we know how difficult it will be. Which is why Saturday was pretty dire, because it was a team we should''ve beaten at home but didn''t.

Given that the majority of our squad are experienced Championship footballers, they shouldn''t need waking up either, especially following the friendly at Colchester. They should know all about this division and what it takes.

The person most in need of a wake up is our Nige. When will he wake up to the fact that you have to play your best players, not those who have lost weight in pre-season, or honest pros that have trained hard. It''s precisely the same error as last season.

I don''t know how unfit Jarrett was, (but if he could only manage 4 minutes, he shouldn''t have been on the bench), and so can forgive the selection of Simon Charlton in midfield on this occasion, and he did his best, it''s not his fault that central midfield is not his position and he isn''t quick enough to play there.  The selection of Doherty, however, is another matter. The central defensive pairing are a shambles, our left back gets targetted by every team we play (strange given that he''s "the best left back outside the premier league"... I''m beginning to doubt whether he''s even the best left back in our squad).

Will Nige sort it out??? don''t know but if we start with Charlton and Doherty on tuesday, then Nige has not taken his wake up call, and is snoozing while the points drift by.

[quote]I too was slightly disappointed reading about this so called wake-up call. A wake up call for whom exactly??? The fans are painfully aware of the task ahead, we don''t need a wake up call, we know how...[/quote]

The reason drury is targetted is that teams know hux wont be there to help him out like every other wide left player does for the lef t back - 2 v 1 makes for good odds for getting a cross in and making a chance.  

This was painfully obvious from last seasons MOTD highlights so you can bet that every champs manager will have picked up on it.  Worthy has to figure out how to play 3 strikers while still giving us a midfield that can protect thedefence and give our awwesome strikeforce the service and support they need.

You are right - it is the club that needs to ''wake up and smell the coffee'' before we become this seasons West Ham.

OTBC 

[quote]I was slightly annoyed to read that Worthy has said it should be wake up call for the fans that Norwich may not find it straightforward to get back into the Prem. I would suggest it is more of a wake ...[/quote]

Is Safri swanning off to the African Nations cup this season? If so when is it? We definitely going to need another centre-mid at this rate!

[quote]Is Safri swanning off to the African Nations cup this season? If so when is it? We definitely going to need another centre-mid at this rate![/quote]

The ACN is late Jan/early Feb so in theory we could sign one then; but ramadan starts soon and worthy dropped him for that period last year.

A further midfielder is needed and now.

OTBC 

I think quite a few clubs had a wake up call this weekend.  Palace being the funniest.  Couldn''t help but laugh at their loss after reading Jordan''s comments in the Sun Guaranteeing the Title!

[quote]Oh my god everyone panic... one game and all of a sudden we are mid table no hopers. Yes I hope we buy another player for midfield and a centre back but those two players will not necessarily change ...[/quote]

"But there we are, at least we aren''t Palace fans."

Can I ask what that''s supposed to mean? Yes we lost, but Luton totally outplayed us and deserved the win. Whether Luton can maintain their energy levels remains to be seen, and it will be interesting to see how they react if they suffer a heavy loss (hopefully when Palace play them at Kenilworth Road )

It didn''t help that Jordan decided to say we''d walk the league. That was embarrassing, and it gives the impression that all Palace fans share this view, which we don''t. We''ve been in this league many times before, and we know that it isn''t easy - this season, the CCC/Division One/Whatever it''s called has possibly the most quality in it seen for a long time. Possibly a loss for us, and a draw for you is the best thing that could happen? I''m sure ID and NW will make sure their players come back from their disappointing start to the season.

Just remember, Sunderland took 5 points from their opening 6 games last season. All is not lost.

Good luck for the season, apart from Saturday and 25th February

What I meant was, we, as in Crystal Palace and Norwich are the bookies favourites to go back up and after our season in the premiership we received a harsh reminder on Saturday as to the difference in quality of play between the two leagues.

However, we got a point and you didnt.

Which Im sure will even itself out over the season before you go off on one.