Sign in to follow this  
westcoastcanary

AN's tribute to NA

N.Adams wasn''t treated unjust at all, its a results business and he was trying hard but not getting the results. Its been plainly obvious what was missing and since A.Neil has been here we have looked how we should have been all season. N.adams got a good crack of the whip and if we had of let him keep going for an extra month or 2 before making the change it would of most probably left the gap harder to make up. Fortunately the board made the decision in time (touchwood) and we can now get back where we should of been all along.

Fair play to A.neil for his comments the man''s got class. Also his post match interviews are a breath of fresh air.

I have no sources on this, but the club statement and the chronology very much suggest Adams'' resignation was effectively forced on him, and that if he had not resigned he would have been fired.Following the Sky Bet Championship defeat

at Reading on December 28, the Canaries currently sit seventh in the

league table. After Saturday’s FA Cup Third Round exit at the hands of

Preston North End, Adams met for discussions with the Board and agreed

to resign.

You can only agree to something that is put to you. The obvious inference is that the idea of resignation was put to Adams. How strongly that idea was put is a question. It could have been anything from a suggestion to an ultimatum, or somewhere in between.As to the chronology, Adams resigned on Monday January 5. The first hints from Scotland that we had settled on Alex Neil came the next day, and there was official confirmation the day after that. And the comment from Frankie McAvoy about Neil having pretended to him that he was ill when actually he was having talks with us (presumably David McNally and presumably in Scotland) suggest those talks happened very early on. Quite possibly on the Monday that Adams left. Conceivably even beforehand.In other words we had the replacement very much in mind for a vacancy we had decided was going to open up, and so were able to act immedately.

So basically we all agree Maccie. Neil Adams wasn''t treated unfairly and at a meeting with McNally it was agreed he''d resign.However that''s not good enough for some people who aren''t happy to accept the reported version of events and have to know more. I contend that they don''t know more. Anyway, I''ll pm you what else I know later...

The club had been watching Alex Neil all season. That doesn''t make it a fact that Adams was forced to resign. They had a meeting and Adams agreed to resign. The circumstances behind that meeting are private and if McNally or Adams left that meeting and enlarged on the statement to another party there would be serious repurcussions .

Financial ones Miggo. If Adams and McNally agree on terms of the parting and then one of them rings you or Morty and says that what really happened is different from the statement then they''d be in n breach of the agreement.

Lol Eddie, stop trying to drag me into a 19 page argument, I''m off to bed.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Alex Neil spoke last night on R5L''s Monday Night Club. A very low key question and answer few minutes during which Chapman, Motson, Claridge and Barton appeared at a loss as to what to say to him. The most interesting comment from AN was that, usually when a new manager is appointed it is because there are some serious legacy issues and problems he is required to sort out. This is what he expected to find, but when he actually arrived he found nothing of the sort. He found a strong, well-balanced, receptive squad, in good shape and with a good spirit. Even allowing for a bit of not washing any linen in public, it amounted to a quiet tribute to his predecessor (and the board). You only have to look at Cardiff, Fulham and the likes of Wigan and others, to realise how true that is.[/quote]

Commendable Gift [G]

Well I would imagine that McNally was stung by the "scoured all of Europe" thing and also the explanation that there was no better alternative when they were thinking of sacking Hughton earlier in 2014. The lack of a plan B was exposed, and having given the job to Adams it wouldn''t be rocket science to realise it was a gamble and you need to make damn sure you have a back up in mind. For hard nosed businessmen it would be a no-brainer to have a succession plan.

NA brought is some really good players and is certainly partly responsible for the foundations upon which AN is building, he is also a City legend and one of my personal favourites ever in a City shirt, in an understated way.

The only thing that really mystifies me is the Phelan thing, if McNally did indeed "have his eye", so to speak, on AN, then presumably no assurances were given to Phelan about taking over from NA and therefore he could hardly grumble when it didn''t go his way.

However things seem finally to have worked out for the best, and I will be interested to see in what capacity NA returns- he did an amazing job with the U18s, so obviously has lots to offer at the development levels.

In the meantime let''s hope for a big jump in goal difference tonight- play to our current form and it should be highly entertaining.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Well I would imagine that McNally was stung by the "scoured all of Europe" thing and also the explanation that there was no better alternative when they were thinking of sacking Hughton earlier in 2014. The lack of a plan B was exposed, and having given the job to Adams it wouldn''t be rocket science to realise it was a gamble and you need to make damn sure you have a back up in mind. For hard nosed businessmen it would be a no-brainer to have a succession plan.

NA brought is some really good players and is certainly partly responsible for the foundations upon which AN is building, he is also a City legend and one of my personal favourites ever in a City shirt, in an understated way.

The only thing that really mystifies me is the Phelan thing, if McNally did indeed "have his eye", so to speak, on AN, then presumably no assurances were given to Phelan about taking over from NA and therefore he could hardly grumble when it didn''t go his way.

However things seem finally to have worked out for the best, and I will be interested to see in what capacity NA returns- he did an amazing job with the U18s, so obviously has lots to offer at the development levels.

In the meantime let''s hope for a big jump in goal difference tonight- play to our current form and it should be highly entertaining.[/quote]Tumbleweed, I don''t know for a fact whether Phelan was assured of anything. but all the indications are indeed that Neil was the Plan B if Adams failed and not Phelan, and so that no assurances were given to him.What happened was that many posters here assumed Phelan was brought in at least with half an eye on taking over. But that assumption rested on some flawed logic. If Phelan did well as a coach and we improved, then Adams wouldn''t be sacked. And if Phelan''s coaching didn''t improve us then why would we appoint as manager someone whose coaching hadn''t worked?!Added to which we were always unlikely to appoint someone who had never been a manager, given that the three outright failures of recent years - Grant, Gunn and now Adams - were all people who had never managed before. And the fact that Phelan has never taken a manager''s job, despite any number of chances, and has now taken another position as a coach/assistant suggesrts either he is happy as a number two or somehow thinks he will just fall into a manager''s job when someone gets sacked. If the latter then that is hardly a strong argument in his favour.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Well I would imagine that McNally was stung by the "scoured all of Europe" thing [/quote]

You definitely imagined it as McNally didn''t say "scoured all of Europe", in fact no-one said it, they said they reviewed the European market to see who was available.

I''ve got better things to do than get into arguments about semantics over exact wording re the Europe thing, but Purple- I agree with your analysis re Phelan. The body language appeared odd from the start as well, but ironically the only game he had in charge (at least operationally if not technically) away at Bournemouth we won with 10 men!

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I''ve got better things to do than get into arguments about semantics over exact wording re the Europe thing, but Purple- I agree with your analysis re Phelan. The body language appeared odd from the start as well, but ironically the only game he had in charge (at least operationally if not technically) away at Bournemouth we won with 10 men![/quote]

Not arguing about ''sematics'', just pointing out that you managed to get it wrong on what was said and who said it.