Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Phil Mulryne or Wes Hoolahan?

If we were selecting a Norwich team regardless of era, and you had to choose between these two for a midfield space, which would you go with?
The two have a fair bit in common: creative midfielders, match winners on their day but equally prone to being something of a liability.  Mulryne brought some quality to free kick situations, Wes probably has a better eye for a final pass and shades it on work rate. Both were effective in "the hole" and less so when out wide.
I have to be honest, I was never as big a Mulryne fan as I have been a Hoolafan, but the players bear comparison and I am interested in what people think.

No comparison for me. Wes is a legend.

When he finally retires people will appreciate the eras he played through with this club.

He is a unique player, and in that respect more like Ian Crook.

Wes all the way.

summed up by Johnsons goal. Great goal, but it doesn''t happen without Wes. His quick thought proceeses, quick feet and accuracy of pass. He may not have got the goal or the assist, but turned midfield possession into something great with those attributes.

He''ll work well under our manager as this manager is about ball to feet.

Wes everyday. He is our longest serving player and highest scorer! And his impact has been greater in games than Mulryne ever managed

I didn''t realise quite how many Mullers scored for us! That goal at Reading was class though. It was Easter weekend IIRC and it was a televised game. Quality.

[quote user="kick it off"]I didn''t realise quite how many Mullers scored for us! That goal at Reading was class though. It was Easter weekend IIRC and it was a televised game. Quality.[/quote]

And the relief was massive !

Has to be Wes for me.

You can see Phill here, at about 3min 48.

Good luck to the lad if he has found what he wants.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0RUMIHuvk

[quote user="kick it off"]I didn''t realise quite how many Mullers scored for us! That goal at Reading was class though. It was Easter weekend IIRC and it was a televised game. Quality.[/quote]

Up there with jacksons goal and any against the binners for the most I''ve ever celebrated a goal.

I don''t think it''s quite as clear cut as some are making it out, tbh. There have been a lot of times in Hoolahan''s time with us when he has been massively ineffective and lightweight - not to mention one footed.......

That said, he is a matchwinner and can often be the difference in a game - just like someone pointed out earlier in the thread about his contribution to Johnno''s goal on Sunday.

Mulryne was one of the better players in what was often a poor side and his dead ball delivery was considerably better than Hoolahan.

Hoolahan just about shades it for me, but a worthy comparison from the OP!

I think most of us do know and have watched him alartz, obviously the younger ones won''t have.

Plus I strongly disagree with Temp, he goes no more missing than anyone else, sometimes other people don''t go missing but are just rubbish.

Definitely Wes, although think what sort of player he could be, if he had a pile driver of a shot, a right foot, and was about a foot taller!

Perhaps, have never have played for us

Hmmm.It is a close run thing, and they are not really similar players at all.Mulryne was your stereotypical midfielder. He wasn''t really an out and out attacking midfielder and he liked to sit a bit deeper and move the ball, although I wouldn''t say he was a DM or a holding midfielder either. As has been said, he was vital to the club remaining in the division back then, along with Roberts and a number of other players.Great at ball retention and probing balls.Hoolahan is a bit of a conundrum for me. You simply have to love him for the way he has stuck it out with us and been relegated twice and promoted twice. Been out of the team and out of favour, been in the team and in favour.However, his success has come at playing with less defensive responsibility although he is again taking up that mantle pressing further up the pitch and supporting the strikers. He can unlock teams, but at times he needs to be played intelligently. In physical games where we struggle to get the ball down, having one less player who is able to mix it up a bit has cost us in the past.I''d say that is one of the areas Mulryne was better at hence he was a midfielder and could do some of the graft work as well.I''d still say Hoolahan when all is said and done though - but I wonder if Mulryne had given us more if it wasn''t for the injury?

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]Ian Crook or Mark Fotheringham ?[/quote]To be fair, the Ian Crook or Phil Mulryne might be a fairer comparison. Both excellent at set pieces, out and out midfielders, goal scorers and good passers of the ball.  Wes doesn''t compare well to anyone except himself.  At his best as a no10 but doesn''t score enough, but brings in other players more due to his skill and vision. He''s a one off and when at his best, as he appears to be under AN, hard to leave out of the team.

Lets be honest, Mulryne was an average player in a pretty poor side (promotion season under worthy apart)Wes has done well here, still think his time has come and if we do go up we may well release him, but cant doubt his achievements whilst here.