Sign in to follow this  
westoncanary.

Ian Crook.

We need another one of him, I think we all know that but who? The names aren''t coming to me at the moment, can anyone suggest any (realistic) names?

[quote]We need another one of him, I think we all know that but who? The names aren''t coming to me at the moment, can anyone suggest any (realistic) names?[/quote]

Inigo Idiakez is about the only one I can think of as there are not many of these players around .

OTBC

They''re a lot of posters slating Worthy for not signing a "creative midlfielder". This is the ideal thread for those people to give realistic suggestions of players who fit the bill. Well done, Weston.

I''m honestly not sure whether any team could afford to have an Ian Crook nowadays - he couldn''t tackle, he couldn''t sprint or head a ball. All he could do was spread sublime passes around the pitch with exceptional vision and look as if he had all the time in the world whilst doing so. When was the last junior football game anyone watched where these skills were being coached? I''m afraid most youth football coaches play the long ball game to their big, fast striker who scores 80% of their goals. That''s why there are so few players of Crooky''s ilk in the UK now. Sad but true.

It might be worthwhile if Norwich were to send their scouts to the Croatian/Romanian leagues as players like this ARE encouraged.

[quote]We need another one of him, I think we all know that but who? The names aren''t coming to me at the moment, can anyone suggest any (realistic) names?[/quote]

When they made Ian Crook, they threw away the mould, so I''m sorry Weston, I can''t name a replacement for him, he was unique!.

Good thread though.

At this moment I would take Ian Crook even though he''s in his 40''s.  Seriously though, I can''t think of a playmaker available that Worthy would actually sign and that we could afford.

As is apparent from this thread there are very few players around who fit the bill. Not surprising in a way because as Breaker points out there are very few managers these days who will tolerate a player who can''t run, tackle or compete (even if they can pass). After all we have had one here very recently haven''t we Mr Mulryne?

Anyway, one player who did impress me with his passing here three seasons ago was James Harper of Reading, who really ran the show when they beat us 1-0 - and he did run and tackle as well. So maybe a possibility.

I just don''t think those players really exist in english football anymore. Most sides have workhorses and even the good teams have energetic, muscular central midfielders who win tackles, get box to box and score goals - most of the ''creation'' is done these days by strikers who can work some magic - Henry, Rooney - or wide players - Giggs and the Chelsea winger whose name escapes me at the moment.

I don''t think we need an Ian Crook (though he was my hero when he played forr City), but it seems painfully obvious that we need another midfielder, of any kind, especially given Safri''s injury proneness. I was amused by those suggesting after the Inter game that Charlie might be the answer - and it seems that Saturday has convinced most that you won''t get promotion with a left-back in centre midfield.

We must buy a first-team midfielder before Aug 31 - I''m v worried by Worthy''s apparent contentment with the squad, although we all know by now how he works in the transfer market.