Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

An almighty crash to earth

We had one bad night...after a very good run. All other teams at the top of this league have lost games they would be expected to win. All still to play for and no need to panic.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]The "Winehouse" thing is pretty tasteless.

Everything else is stating the obvious.

Not your best.[/quote]
Fair comment.
As for the "Winehouse" thing, perhaps her death means we should deify her in some way but the truth is she had a bit of a penchant for the artificial stimulant. One that would have given her the "high" of beating Ipswich and the celebration after and the inevitable low of what followed - in this case a thumping and crashing "comedown" in the form of a beating from the very basement.
Tasteless? Only if you think it "too soon" or that we should "tastefully" delete her prior misdemeanours because she ultimately pegged out chasing the high. In that respect, she never felt the "comedown", did she? 
At the end of the day - you''ll love the cliche - it was meant to be representative of the vast difference between the highs and lows. I actually liked the woman; thought she was supremely talented - worse, she''d make the top 10 people I''d liked to have gone on the **** with. George Best would make that list too, but had I called it "A Hangover of Best Proportions" I doubt anyone would have given a fig.
As for stating the obvious, of course, I''m glad you agree with my summary. 

The history of Norwich City they raise the supporters expectations to the highest then drop them like a ton of bricks. We long time followers should be immune against such happenings but sadly we never learn and it is still painful. Here''s hopeful for better times very soon. Saturday will do.

I''m not sure the depiction of a carefree thrill seeker fits with my experience of addiction, which is as an illness that takes you to some fairly lonely and desperate places.

"Tasteless" was an emotional reaction to your piece and it probably doesn''t stand in the light of day. However, I don''t agree with your description of Winehouse as someone chasing the ultimate high. More likely she was chasing what she came to view as normality, or an w scape from a reality she couldn''t bear.

That''s all I want to say on that, but thanks for the considered reply. I enjoy your writing for the most part, ha.