Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Happy with the squad?

Reading the article in the Pink Un made me laugh I must say.  Worthy said he was happy with the squad and he has confidence in the players he has.  Ok, not in itself that funny as I do agree, I am very happy with the players we have but we do need another body in midfield.  Jarret and Safri together will boss a game in this league i''m sure but as stated before they both seem injury prone and Safri has the African Cup and Ramadan coming up.  We could be in the situation of a Hughes / Charlie midfield a lot more in the future if Worthy does not at the very least bring in a squad player for cover.

Come on Worthy!

[quote]Reading the article in the Pink Un made me laugh I must say. Worthy said he was happy with the squad and he has confidence in the players he has. Ok, not in itself that funny as I do agree, I am ver...[/quote]

I am with you Saint - It made me angry when I heard these comments bearing in mind the woeful central midfield performance on saturday.  Yes the work rate was good but there was no quality in terms of

• winning the ball back
    • passing to team mates
    • making yourself available to receive the ball
    • supporting the strikers
    • creating chances
    • threatening the opponents goal.

IMO we should never see a charlie/hughes central midfield again - it was simply appalling.

It is not hard to see that we will have a period where a couple of these 4 (Hughes, jarret, charlie, safri) are unavailable to play again and that will leave us desperately short of cover at some stage in the season. Ik now I sound like a cracked record having said this all pre season but we must have a further central midfield buy sooner rather than later to ensure we have some real competition for places and back up. 

OTBC

How anyone can be happy with a squad so small and thin, that because of 2 injuries we have to play a centre-half in central midfield is beyond me....

There is some cover, and the players brought in look OK, but we have a squad of 23, 4 of which are keepers. So 4 outfield injuries and we can''t even name a full team with 5 subs... 

Additionally everytime you read about a player''s versatility, for verstaile read "played out of position"... players have a preferred and best position, if they''re not in that position, they are less effective. I''m trying to stay positive but the fact that we''re starting a season with a squad already so stretched that Simon Charlton, hoest pro that he is, plays central midfield worries me.

Reading various comments about our central midfield in Saturday''s game, it seems to me essential to bring in a quality player for that position. Does anybody have any suggestions as to who might be available? As has been pointed out several times, we cannot rely on a Hughes/Charlie combination if we hope to achieve promotion this season.

Completely agree, its all very nice saving some money for the January sales but by then we could be stuck in mid table with no chance of automatic promotion.

It is worth noting that the parachute payments run out after two years and by that time we will have to shred out wage bill and sell our best players. By that period we will have about as much chance as Ipswich have of automatic promotion this season which is slim at best.

So lets make the most of this competitive advantage by signing a centre mid quickly! I still can''t understand where all the money has gone though, I mean when West Brom got relegated after one season they had quite a lot of money to re-invest, all seems a lot bit strange and worrying to me.

I mean if the money is there, why on earth is Worthy not spending it?!

I''m really hoping that this is a Worthy smokescreen and he has his eye on a central midfielder and centre half!

Wishful thinking!

Worthy''s words are a classic smoke screen. Do you really expect him to go out and say "I''m desperate for another CM and now have £1.5m plus to spend"? How do you lot think that would affect negotiations?

Its very obvious we need more players, at least 1 CM and RM and preferably a CB too. Another RB would also be useful, unless one of our youth players is close to making a breakthrough into the main team. If Worthy can find players of the right quality AND the right price we will see them join. If he can''t, we will have to wait until January. I don''t believe that Worthy will deliberately sit on the money until January, why on earth would he? I bet he is on the phone constantly trying to get the right personnel.

I am very happy with the squad we have apart from the size. When we get a proper midfield back in and Shacks is fit, we will see the difference.

Why do people always want to believe the worst about Worthy, rather than see the rational explanations?

Waiting untill January could well be to late just like it was last season , we badly need a new centre half and a creative midfielder, maybe 2 in midfield because i am convinced Safri and Jarrett will spend most of the season on the injured list.

[quote]Reading the article in the Pink Un made me laugh I must say. Worthy said he was happy with the squad and he has confidence in the players he has. Ok, not in itself that funny as I do agree, I am ver...[/quote]

Apart from Fleming and the Donk, I''m quite pleased with the squad.

Mind you, a quick, tall central defender wouldn''t go amiss either.