Sign in to follow this  
westcoastcanary

Wigan and Millwall

It''ll be important to guard against complacency. We have Tettey absent as well which could be felt if we don''t put away an early goal or two. Presumably Dorrans will come into the side and maybe Vadis is ready for the bench?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]The next two games will tell us the true extent of AN''s effect on the

mentality of the team. Winners don''t drop points to bottom of the table strugglers.[/quote]

In this league any team can beat any other on its day.  We may well lose one or two more games this season and it would make no sense to get too down if we lose to a team just because they are near the bottom  of the table.  Having said that it would be disappointing to draw or lose either of the next two games and I don''t think we will - but it could happen and it would not ruin the season, just make the job slightly harder.

Wigan is the biggest game of the season. They have won their last two away games and won at Derby and Leeds earlier in the season; they also got a draw at Ipswich recently. We must put 100% into beating them and in no way become complacent.After Wigan, Millwall will be the biggest game of the season. While their home form has been poor they have caused one or two shocks this season and we will need to be absolutely on our game as we have lost away at Fulham and Reading (who are of a similar standard).After that, Derby will be the biggest game of the season. They are top of the league but we could pass them if we win this and the previous two. Their away form has been slipping recently with only two points from the last 3 but they have some serious quality in their team and could cause us real problems.Etc.

Like Frans says.

Boro and Watford may easily lose points against Forest and Wolves away, perhaps B''ham can get something out of the games against Derby. In any case, we should not do teams around us any favours.

The players won''t need reminding of the importance of every game. The question is how they (maybe unconsciously) view playing e.g. Wigan as opposed to Derby.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]We just need to concentrate on our own

game - after winning the three big games last week it would be ''classic''

for us to underperform on Wednesday, but ought to win well
. I can''t

believe AN will let the standards drop, but wigan are a potential banana

skin, and we''ve all seen it happen before[/quote]Exactly.(BP''s quote is from the Midweek Games thread)

Complaceny is a real danger here. Fans expectations have rocketed again, there''s too much talk of winning the league etc etc.

We need to keep the atmosphere rocking. That will help starve off complaceny from the players.

you just know the next two will be a struggle. It''s the Norwich way.

For the first time since Lambert though I think we have a manager who we can trust to set up the team and stop anyone getting ahead of themselves... He managed to keep the focus off the Derby for a tough Blackburn game and then managed to keep the boys calm and consistent for the Derby!

Is it too much to hope for 9 points? I know that''s what we will be going for!

Hooooooggge games coming up, ''cup finals'' and all that

I am less worried about the way past history may hint at complacency, because of the Alex Neil factor. He (and we) had our backsides bitten at the Brentford game, and that may have been a massive catalyst for future mindsets, leading into games ''like these''.

I am just as excited about tomorrows game, as I have been about any other (apart from Sundays) this season.

BRING IT ON!

Would take two scrappy one-nils, these games are going to be much tougher than many of us think and the Championship has a habit of throwing up shock results.

Quite right GB, I am not saying I am not worried, just less worried than days gone by!

The propensity for falling into such traps, are of a lesser chance, because of Alex Neil, imo

A win is a win after all no matter how scrappy. 6 points from the next two will at least keep us 3rd and that''s what we need to aim for.

Hoping for all 6 points but wouldn''t argue with 4, it would keep us within 1 result of 2nd and keep it in our hands at the very least. We need all our team singing from the same hymn sheet again and to keep putting away our chances.

The games will be tough as both are battling for survival, not mid table mediocrity. However they are down there for a reason after 34 games with half our points total and I have 100% confidence in AN getting the team set up correctly. Unlike the rather scratchy Hughton 10 game unbeaten run a couple of years back the team exudes an air of calm confidence right now, of knowing what they need to do and just doing it.

In many ways this is the perfect game after the derby, the squad will still be buzzing, hopefully the stadium too, and a great chance to motor on against two teams who I fully expect to seek to squeeze the game tight, sit quite deep and nick something on the break. Of course there are never any guarantees, but I think it highly unlikely at the moment that the team will let it slip in these two games. And if they do, better against them than letting two promotion contenders steal a march on us.

AN seems to have that quiet assurance, quick mind and precise communication skills to get these games seen to, if, for some rreason ,we drop points, it wont be through lack of preparation or complacency, sometimes games just dont go your way even if you sre the better team.

Our strength in depth also means that should we be well ahead after 60 mins, we should see subs based on bringing players back in, to get game time.

Without being cocky these next two are ideal after the pressure of sunday, we coild easily destroy Wigan and Millwall.....and increase our ever improving GD......which could prove to be an extra point come the end of the season.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]The games will be tough as both are battling for survival, not mid table mediocrity. However they are down there for a reason after 34 games with half our points total and I have 100% confidence in AN getting the team set up correctly. Unlike the rather scratchy Hughton 10 game unbeaten run a couple of years back the team exudes an air of calm confidence right now, of knowing what they need to do and just doing it.

In many ways this is the perfect game after the derby, the squad will still be buzzing, hopefully the stadium too, and a great chance to motor on against two teams who I fully expect to seek to squeeze the game tight, sit quite deep and nick something on the break. Of course there are never any guarantees, but I think it highly unlikely at the moment that the team will let it slip in these two games. And if they do, better against them than letting two promotion contenders steal a march on us.[/quote]Are you referring to that 22 point run from 19th position with 3 points to 7th position with 25 points in the PREMIER as ''rather scratchy''? A remarkable achievement under CH given - by your implication - that the team didn''t know what they needed to do.

West coast Canary:"The next two games will tell us the true extent of AN''s effect on the mentality of the team. Winners don''t drop points to bottom of the table strugglers."

Unfortunately AN could not positively influence the mentality last night. One game too many? They come thick and fast in the Chump

!M.u.s.t.a.r.d_M.a.t.t.e.r.s! wrote the following post at 03/03/2015 10:12 AM:

Tumbleweed wrote:

The games will be tough as both are battling for survival, not mid table mediocrity. However they are down there for a reason after 34 games with half our points total and I have 100% confidence in AN getting the team set up correctly. Unlike the rather scratchy Hughton 10 game unbeaten run a couple of years back the team exudes an air of calm confidence right now, of knowing what they need to do and just doing it. In many ways this is the perfect game after the derby, the squad will still be buzzing, hopefully the stadium too, and a great chance to motor on against two teams who I fully expect to seek to squeeze the game tight, sit quite deep and nick something on the break. Of course there are never any guarantees, but I think it highly unlikely at the moment that the team will let it slip in these two games. And if they do, better against them than letting two promotion contenders steal a march on us.

Are you referring to that 22 point run from 19th position with 3 points to 7th position with 25 points in the PREMIER as ''rather scratchy''? A remarkable achievement under CH given - by your implication - that the team didn''t know what they needed to do.

I have to say that while not being CH greatest fan, far from it in fact, to devalue that run as "scratchy" is grossly unfair.

Any points gained in the PL are worthy points and a ten game run was outstanding for a side with our resources.