Sign in to follow this  
unique

Fatigue

The disappointing result against Wigan was not an inevitability, but perhaps excusable after the Herculean efforts throughout February, and as the game that followed the excellent result against Ipswich.

However, fatigue is a lame excuse for the performance and should not be used for the rest of the season. Johnson and Redmond could garner some sympathy, but Howson and Jerome haven''t started over a third of games this season, Hoolahan not even half, Hooper barely a third, and Dorrans, obviously, next to nothing.

The attacking players in the Norwich squad, bar Johnson and Redmond, should have plenty in the tank for the rest of the season, and it is high time that players like Howson stepped up to the plate and showed an unbridled desire to get into the PL and no lame duck excuses come May.

Is this similar to the Run Neil Adams had until suddenly the team started to under perform and lost their grip at the top?

It''s because the games are so closely bunched in a short timeframe, not the total games played throughout the season. Fatigue would certainly be a factor for those who played the majority of the last 6 games. More so key players such as BJ, Howson & Hoolahan in the attacking department. Tettey & Grabbon would have been tired too if they had played.

The will was there but they lost that sharpness due to tiredness.

I have never believed we have the strongest squad in the division - we have a few good players. But once they are out or tired due to being overplayed, we don''t have players of equal ability to replace them. Look what happened on Wednesday - Hoolahan rested but still required to come on at half time - that''s no rest ! BJ & Howson should have been rested. Fat chance these 3 being any use to us tomorrow !

If our squad was that good, we would be able to rest the front 6 & bring on a completely new set of players. But no we had to play the same players, even against one of the bottom teams.

With Grabbon now out - our most effective forward & one of the players that works best with Hoolahan - we now have a massive challenge on our hands.

Dorrans has come here with a huge reputation - yes he''s score goals for WBA but having watched him play - it seems that the media & some desperate fans have been just talking up an average player.

The media have got heads spinning - we are not the envy of the other clubs, fact is we are the team that lacks depth !

Makes me laugh at the thought these players get tired, during the 70s in one season no more than 15 players were used in a season , they were trained by Ron Saunders piggy backing each other up and down the slopes at mouse hole Heath . They were super fit as they should be as that''s their profession . No gloves, no water during the match, and one sub .

It''s funny how we see things through green and yellow tinted specs.

Supporting the Canaries in the 70''s was my most enjoyable time as fan.

But I think if you looked at old footage compared with now you would see a whole different animal in terms of pace, skill and ability.

[quote user="72season"]Makes me laugh at the thought these players get tired, during the 70s in one season no more than 15 players were used in a season , they were trained by Ron Saunders piggy backing each other up and down the slopes at mouse hole Heath . They were super fit as they should be as that''s their profession . No gloves, no water during the match, and one sub .[/quote]

There are many types of fitness, physical and mental.  The team under Saunders were superfit and knew it - and that belief in their fitness helped them through.  It was a kind if bulldog approach that worked, both physically and mentally.  "Fit as a butcher''s dog" is the old fashioned saying that you could use.

You simply can''t get away with that approach these days.  Fitness is measured by computers and statistics - trying to get players to optimum fitness at the right time - for matches. The delicate balance of getting players physically and mentally right has become a kind of art form and there is a mentality at work in football where overdoing the physical side is frowned on, thinking "oh we don''t want to overdo the exercise in case we start getting overuse injuries and mental staleness."    Overuse injuries are obviously a danger and mental staleness is something we don''t want either, but to my mind in a competitive league like this is, if you take your  foot off the pedal even slightly - like  resting Wes, a fake booking because the next two games aren''t so "important" like for the Wigan game - is going to give the opposition the advantage.  The message the players had in their sub-conscious was "this is Wigan, even though we know its going to be a hard match, we''re saving our best players."  

Mentally the best message to give out imo, is go for every match like a cup final with your best possible team and if one is injured or loses form, then replace them - but not before. Its supposed to be a squad game these days, but what I see time after time is that if you back off even slightly - the opposition will be strong enough to take advantage, whether its Fulhm, Wigan or Bn''mth or Middsbro.  I would say play your best team regardless of who the opposition is. If they get fatigued - tough.  That is what a squad should be for.  Mixing it around too much messes with their heads.  It worked for Saunders in a different era - but McCarthy is having a good season with limited resources with a similar approach - small squad, basic same team.  They may ultimately run out of steam and not have the back up players to come in, but if we had that approach, we have the squad to cope.  But resting players is fraught with problems - physically it may be good, but mentally it sometimes upsets that competitive balance of a team.

its called competition lower teams scrapping to avoid relegation ..that''s the test of being a promotion seeking team you need to be on your best every game.I''m not gonna go on about the SPL but last weekend the bottom 3 all won there games ..Celtic who thought they had the league won lost to St Johnstone on Wednesday night ..letting Aberdeen back in the title race 6 points behind ..its that time of the season where every result counts .its about being consistent and who wants it the most

Mental fatigue is a factor as well. Having lost Grabban we might have lost a bit of moral going into the game.

Also despite scum''s lack of quality they gave us a hell of a hard game physically and that would''ve taken it''s toll. Wigan had an extra days rest, had only played Blackpool and had the prospect of a scalp and nothing to lose going into the game.

It was gutting, I was as annoyed as anyone, but it happens and I wouldn''t heap too much blame onto the players or AN