Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Could AN turn RVW into a Premier Leagu Striker?

No - RVW is out on loan so AN is yet to work with him. RVW also wants St Etienne to sign him on a permanent deal. If we did manage to get promotion this season I do believe that Hooper will be a better PL striker than he was last season - I think he''s now got 10 goals from 23 appearances in all competitions, although I know some of them were under NA

We certainly don''t need Becchio and I don''t think we really need RVW either

Yeah, don''t see why not, he''s got other players performing better than they did under Adams, why not RVW?

The abortion that was last season''s offensive strategy is hardly a fair measuring stick. The previous year Holt got only 6 after pounding home 15 under Lambert in the Prem.

Maybe RVW isn''t Prem quality but we won''t know if he doesn''t get a legitimate shot in a legitimate offense.

The ones that want him back. I bet it''s because you still have the shirt with number 9 van wolfswinkel on the back hanging in the wardrobe.

It''s fine. You can throw that shirt away. Nobody will think different of you

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]The abortion that was last season''s offensive strategy is hardly a fair measuring stick. The previous year Holt got only 6 after pounding home 15 under Lambert in the Prem.

Maybe RVW isn''t Prem quality but we won''t know if he doesn''t get a legitimate shot in a legitimate offense.[/quote]

Holt got 8 that year actually, less than the year before obviously but still not the worst return.

I think it''s a legitimate point that the Hughton strangulation made sure we were never able to really judge him. But even ifn the time he did have him he didn''t show much reason to believe that he''d be any good. So it''s resounding no from me. Reward the guys who get us there, if it happens, not the most expensive flop in our history. Neil sorted Bassong because the issues were mental, but he can''t turn a sow''s ear into a silk purse.

Probably could - but I think his exit is as agreed and I think hes done enough for St.e to take it up

Nobody could turn RVW into a PL striker. No manager in the world! He developed early to make a name for himself and he''s been highly rated since scoring goals (sporadically) for big teams in poor leagues.

He''s an inferior version of Grabban, he might be a slightly better finisher but his all round game isn''t as good despite trying to do the same job.

I like the guy, but he''s rubbish, he was rubbish before he lost his confidence, he was shocking after and he''s been disappointing for St.Ettiene this year as well. They''re a big club in a slow, mediocre league and he''s done nothing again, when his reputation''s on the line as well.

I''ve seen a lot of him, even this year I''ve watched him when I could and I can''t for the life of me see how he got a Dutch cap. He just has nothing to his game, he literally can''t do anything a professional footballer should be able to do and he lacks any sort of physical presence.

Bony or N''Doye would have been far more of a hughton striker, someone that makes things happen themselves, you just lump the ball into space up front and they do the rest.

Ricky is not and never will be that guy. He''s the guy that provides the final flick on them subtle through balls and whipped crosses.

I think Ricky would have been useful this season in them games like Wigan midweek etc. when we had plenty of shots and still didn''t win.

I guess if we go up, he''ll come back in preseason unless st ettiene want to keep him and Alex Neil like he did with Bassong will wipe the slate clean and judge him on what he does in training.

For me, he''s certainly not one who would be playing alone up front with defensive wingers that like to cut in. Give him his mates like Diego Capel and Max Gradel and he''s not a bad player.

Personally I think we''ll look to what we''ve got and add another striker and we''ve seen the last of Ricky but if he comes back, he''s welcome to try and prove himself again. What a story that would be!

People seem to forget he was out injured for half last season and when he came back he got zero service because the whole team couldn''t function as a footballing unit. That said, if we did get promoted I''m not too sure we''d play the sort of ball-to-feet football that he''d thrive on.

Complete flop would not even make the bench in our U21''s

If AN could turn him into a Prem striker he would also be walking on water, turning water into wine and forming a new religion - Even AN cant do that

Problem is the Wolf still has 2 years left on his contract and his wages will shoot up to £40K per week if we go back to the Prem

Over to you McNally perform another miracle & get the fool off the wage bill please

[quote user="Newton"] his wages will shoot up to £40K per week if we go back to the Prem

[/quote]

Here we go again with Newton and figures plucked out of the air which if repeated often enough will be regarded as FACT.

Source please.

[quote user="Dave"]Probably could - but I think his exit is as agreed and I think hes done enough for St.e to take it up[/quote]I would be astonished if St-Etienne took up the option to buy van Wolfswinkel, who was an unused sub in their last league game, as agreed. They might want him permanently, but not as agreed.

it would depend on the terms of the loan

sometimes the loaning team doesn''t get a option as the sale has been signed of already

dont expect him to play for us again but it could be worse

He fits ANs bill, hard working energetic and is likely to get the chances that hughtons play did not provide.

However I cant see fans thinking it could happen and supporting it.

Not sure what you mean Zipper. AN will give you an opportunity if you work hard and can take direction but you need some ability to warrant selection.

If he is still on our books and we are paying him. AN will be forced to work with him. If he managed to scored goals, even the most simple ones in practice - you never know.

I think Hooper is the closest striker we''ve got to him at the moment - best beside another striker.

I feel a bit sorry for him despite him costing us a lot of money and still is. He made his decision to join us by listening to what Johan Neeskens and Robin Van Persie had to say about us.

Van Persie said we were well supported off the field and very hard to beat on it. It''s ironic RVW joining us resulted in him replacing Holt, and because he''s not a lone striker - Hoolahan was not played. Without Holt and Hoolahan we were no longer hard to beat !

If he can work up to Hooper''s level he''s not 100% gone.

Do i think RVW will play for us again? No

Could he make it in the Prem? Yes

If he had played for Lambert or AN where the team ventured over the half way line the its likely he would have done better.

However he played for CH whose tactic was to defend and not get beat. I never understood why he bought 2 primo strikers to play one up front. Playing 50% of the time less injuries in addition to the defensive formation was never gonna end well.

CH needed someone toadvise him that when spending millions on players they need to be starters, not a 50% of the time rotating striker.

Don''t think there is any need to have him back as we now have a fairly decent strike force in Hoops,Grabban(when he recovers),and Jerome. Even Bradders has netted 10 this season. So no I don''t think there is a place for RVW.

Our goal difference in the league tells its own story.

Whereas I don''t think there is any way back for RvW with us we must also remember other strikers who played in Hughton teams and not judge too quickly.

After his displays for us, is there any way back for Harry Kane?

Time to move on from him, cash in and push on with Grabban, Jerome, Hooper and another in the prem ; )