Sign in to follow this  
Ginja

Why no Becchio?

He can score goals at this level, I know he''s been out in the cold for some time now but Bassong shows that it''s possible to come back.
I know we have the likes of Murphy and Morris, but it''s a big gamble to rely on them as backup, I''d personally rather have someone I know can score goals for us.

[quote user="Ginja"]He can score goals at this level, I know he''s been out in the cold for some time now but Bassong shows that it''s possible to come back.
I know we have the likes of Murphy and Morris, but it''s a big gamble to rely on them as backup, I''d personally rather have someone I know can score goals for us.
[/quote]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBV1mMwUzQ

There must be a good chance he will be in the squad for Millwall. Long time since he was scoring for fun in the Championship though. He played for the Under-21s v Porto on Wednesday, scoring from the spot but failing to convert other chances including an earlier penalty.

[quote user="Ginja"]He can score goals at this level, I know he''s been out in the cold for some time now but Bassong shows that it''s possible to come back.

[/quote]

Maybe he needs to adopt the same attitude as Bassong and put the work in during training.

Based on his record how do you "know that he can score goals for us"?

I''d rather have him on the bench than Morris who failed to make an impact at both of the League 2 teams he has been loaned to this season.

I know, like Morris, he hasn''t set the world alight on his loan moves but surely Loza must be another option to consider from the bench with Grabban out.

Er When has he scored goals for us???

Would prefer Murphy to play up front running off Jerome or Hooper

The enigma man. One player who I will never be able to understand, a top Championship goal scorer one minute, and unwanted the next.

[quote user="lake district canary"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBV1mMwUzQ[/quote]
The only goal he''s scored in 13 apperances 5 months ago, hardly a compelling argument to choose him.
I''m not going to be overly critical of Murphy because he''s still young with a long way to go in his development but he''s been largely ineffective. We need goals on the bench, and IMO it''s a gamble to leave out a striker who has scored 50+ goals at this level.

[quote user="TCCANARY"] 

Maybe he needs to adopt the same attitude as Bassong and put the work in during training.

Based on his record how do you "know that he can score goals for us"?

[/quote]
He''s scored 50 goals in this division, he went to Rotherham last year only had 3 appearances (2 as sub) and scored 2 goals.
He can score goals at this level and we need options.

I think there''s no coincidence that none of our managers have picked him and preferred others.

[quote user="Bradley Johnsons left foot"]I''d rather have him on the bench than Morris who failed to make an impact at both of the League 2 teams he has been loaned to this season.

I know, like Morris, he hasn''t set the world alight on his loan moves but surely Loza must be another option to consider from the bench with Grabban out.[/quote]
I agree about Loza, I''d rather see him ahead of Morris and Murphy, but these are all young players, very unlikely to make an impact and it''s unfair to expect them to. They''ve all got maybe 3-5 years before we''ll know if they''re any good, look at Martin 7 years on from his debut with us to him really hitting top form.

Agree with TC that it can''t be a coincidence Becchio has been overlooked by three different managers. Alex Neil admitted he was down the pecking order but with Grabban out, who do we turn to? Jerome is a clear pick, Hooper waxes and wanes, then it''s the academy boys. For a team hunting automatic promotion at a critical stage of the season, I''d say bring back Lafferty if possible and play him as a centre forward. Always been a fan of trying our highly rated youngsters but we can''t afford to experiment now. If Becchio is fit and Neil believes he has the right attitude, then play him. There''s no doubt we saw glimpses of what he can do but, for whatever reason, there must be some concerns.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]On the whole Murphy has been very ineffective this season.

Not bashing, but it''s the truth.[/quote]True. The Murphys knew that NA rated them; seem to have lost it a bit since AN has come in. That said, IMO Murphy should have come on rather than Morris on Wednesday. We played far too narrow and by 75 minutes it was evident we weren''t going to get through through the middle.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I think there''s no coincidence that none of our managers have picked him and preferred others.

[/quote]

I think is pertinent.

Is his attitude wrong because he is at least proven and shown ability which neither morris or loza have, at any pro level.

Clearly a reason for him not being included by any managers.
The most obvious one would be he''s shit. But his history suggests it''s not the case.

If he''s not up to it, and it seems that enough managers have come to the same conclusion, why is he still here?

That would just seem like a waste of wages and a squad position.

Because we already have a better version of him in Jerome. Now that Grabban''s out we need another intelligent forward who can run with the ball, create space and link up play, not another battering ram. If it was Jerome who was injured I''d consider it, but Becchio would offer nothing we don''t already have

[quote user="Darth BOOOOOOOOOO"]Because we already have a better version of him in Jerome. Now that Grabban''s out we need another intelligent forward who can run with the ball, create space and link up play, not another battering ram. If it was Jerome who was injured I''d consider it, but Becchio would offer nothing we don''t already have[/quote]
This isn''t about Jermone v Becchio though, that''s a no brainer Jermone all the way, we''re talking about why Becchio can''t even make the bench over the likes of Morris.

Of course not, my point is we don''t have another striker of his type now that he''s injured. Becchio is well past his best and Morris is on the way up so I personally would rather see Morris on the bench.

If for example, we kept Jackson, never signed Becchio and had Jackson out on loan I''d want him recalled with Grabbans injury because he could do a similar job for the team. Likewise if we kept Holt and had him out on loan I wouldn''t want him back to replace Grabban because they''re totally different and he wouldn''t plug the gap.

[quote user="scoop"]If he''s not up to it, and it seems that enough managers have come to the same conclusion, why is he still here? That would just seem like a waste of wages and a squad position.[/quote]

That''s why he was sent out on loan, he''s probably one of those players who won''t have their contract renewed once it expires, someone will pick him up on a free transfer.

The squad thing only applies in the Premier League.

[quote user="Darth BOOOOOOOOOO"]Of course not, my point is we don''t have another striker of his type now that he''s injured. Becchio is well past his best and Morris is on the way up so I personally would rather see Morris on the bench.

If for example, we kept Jackson, never signed Becchio and had Jackson out on loan I''d want him recalled with Grabbans injury because he could do a similar job for the team. Likewise if we kept Holt and had him out on loan I wouldn''t want him back to replace Grabban because they''re totally different and he wouldn''t plug the gap.[/quote]
It''s a fair point but as I''ve said before in this thread I think it''s too much of a gamble with Morris, he''s not impressed much at his loan clubs and it''s a big ask for him to be the one to say "We need goals, get out there and score them" especially with us at a critical point of the season. Good luck to the lad though, I really hope he proves me wrong.

I''d like to know how he gets on with the other players and if we all want him to prove himself give him a run in the u21''s

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]So is Becchio in the squad tomorrow, suggestions on Twitter that he is.[/quote]
Who is suggesting it?

Ginja wrote the following post at 06/03/2015 9:13 PM:

Mr Jenkins wrote:

So is Becchio in the squad tomorrow, suggestions on Twitter that he is.

Who is suggesting it?

Arther Witt I think..

Seen him play a couple of times for the Under 21''s. Against FC Porto he missed a couple of good chances and had a penalty saved although showed character to take another one and converted. I think I would sooner have him on bench than Murphy - Becchio worked hard against Porto and seems more like a team player. IMO Murphy often takes too much on, tries to do too much on his own and play breaks down. Maybe it''s all down to whether your face fits

If the OP attended the occasional U21 game or open training session there is a reason why successive managers have never picked him. But as he doesnt go to games he wont know the answer