Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Roy McCrohan.

The sad news of his passing kind of got lost amongst the bad result and forum crash, so firstly RIP Roy and deepest sympathy to his family and friends.Secondly, as he played before my time do any of the ''older'' posters have any recollections of the man. Going from what I have read, he seemed to have a good career here but any first hand stories would be appreciated.

Herman, thank you for posting this as I had not heard the news.

Of course, I watched Roy during his Norwich career including the exciting cup run which I know forever lived in his memory. I met Roy a couple of times but do not have more knowledge than to say I always thought he was a very dependable player, always giving his best effort. I thought he was still living in Florida ( where I am at the moment ) 

but apparently he had moved back to the UK for his final years.

RIP Roy.

Played in the first game I saw. Not one of the name stars of that FA Cup and promotion team, such as Butler, Bly or Hill, but an excellent performer.RIP.

Yes, Roy was a great stalwart from my early days at Carrow Road. He was a tall slim guy and played in several different positions but I mainly recall him wearing the number 4 shirt in what was then known as the right wing half position. Today you would probably call him a box to box midfielder. He was an integral part of the great ''59 Giant Killers side and I believe that he still commands a place in the top ten all time City appearances list with well over 400 games.I can still recall a Boxing day game against Reading when my father decided to treat us to a seat in the old main stand. It was the first time I had ever watched a game seated and there was plenty of room, I think the gate couldn''t have been more than 16k. Roy scored the only goal of the game at the Barclay End, with a blockbuster from about 25 yards. That''s nearly 57 years ago, funny how these things stick in your mind.

I well remember Roy - I saw him play many many times and he always gave 100%.Funny thing is, I was reading his details in the 59ers lounge at half time on Wednesday which, in retrospect, turned out to be the highlight of the night