Sign in to follow this  
Big Rob

Shackell

Upon reading todays EDP it seems like it is a strong possiblity that we will see a Francis- Doherty partnership at the back. How the hell can Worthy justify this selection after the virtually faultless performances Shackell put in at the end of last season.

I know this article was basically an assumption from one of their reporters but there must be some truth in it.

And there I was hoping that the manager had got over his selection naieveties....

Francis at centre back? I would rather have Fleming, and that''s saying something!

Do we know that Shackle is fully fit and in form? In the "friendlies" he was O.K., but I did not read any rave reviews!

There was some question about how late he would be getting into training after his mumps. Is it possible that he is not fully fit, or has slowed?

If he is as fit and able as he was last season, then it would be a crass slection to play two donkeys instead. He was part of the "spine" last year, why would he not be this?

I''m with you on that, strange one for me. Can only assume he isn''t match fit. We need to be going out strong this year, getting points in the bag - not struggling around at the end of the season for them! Go out strong - get points - sit back and streak away with it!

sorry, I of course meant Fleming and not Francis in the original post. 

- Too much of the hardstuff last night i think!

Hate to say but if Nigel did not consider Shacks as our first choice defender, I think we will in trouble this season!

Considering how he performed at the tail end of last season (against Premiership strikers I might add) I think it''s very strange how Shacks isn''t being given the nod this year.  I would rather he partnered the Doc though.  I think a Shacks/Doc partnership would be strong, organised and pacey

I read that and worried... we can only presume Nige knows something we don''t (fitness, form, etc...)... I don''t think its a "loyalty" issue with Doc, like it is with Flem, cos he was happy to drop him completely into the reserves last season and replace him with Shackell... so I''m hoping its nothing to worry about long-term...

Mind you, chants of "Bring On The Shackell" will no doubt ring out tomorrow, and I''ll be joining in!!!

I have a feeling it will be a fitness issue, I can''t see how he could possibly not consider Shackell to be an important and long-term part of our defence.

However, I have a feeling he might not jump straight into starting every game, maybe Worthy wants to build him up to it, fair enough he played a few games (very well I''ll add) at the end of last season, but is he ready to be a first term regular?

OTBC!

Chunky!

Based on last season''s performances, Shackell should start ahead of Doherty. But it isn''t last season any more. Worthy assesses the players every day in training, and makes a decision based on fitness and form. Until we see the players in action in a competitive game, how can we judge... There is a strange hypocrisy here sometimes too: if Worthy persists with a player he''s labelled as having favoutites, un-droppable players, etc. If he goes with form, people ask why.

So, if he starts with Doc and Flem tomorrow, I''ll assume they''ve impressed the most in pre-season. If they don''t perform then sure, let''s see who can do a better job. But otherwise, you could argue that because McVeigh scored loads of goals a couple of seasons back he should start tomorrow.

my word, if Shackell does not start something must be wrong. As most of you have said, the quality he put in against PREMIERSHIP striker was fantastic, he kept Man utd quiet with the likes of Rooney, so why cant he do this against the likes of David Healey?

I think either a ploy like he has done with huckerby, making the opposition think that he wont be there to give them an easy chance, but then he starts the game frightening the hell out of them.

Either that or as you have said, he is not fully recovered and/or hasnt been performaing as well as he should be.

Time will tell i reckon.

Worthy knows what he is doing

We have to wonder whether last year...

---> Would Jason Shackell have played so well if he had played every game...

---> Was it perfect timing by Worthington to blend him in slowly and not rush him in?

46 games is alot for a younger player and I trust Worthington know''s what a great defender he has at his disposal and I''m sure we will see Shackell in more games than he''ll miss. Just getting the right balnace for me is what Worthington will be trying to do this year.

If he has missed some pre-season due to his mumps then I''m sure we can trust Donkerty and Flemmer for a few games while Shackell rebuilds his fitness.

Lets trust the Manager''s decision whatever he does Saturday because we don''t know the full consequencesand the last thing we need in a massive first game is fans "booing" the manager''s selection. Let''s cheer whatever team turns out.

if shackell''s name isn''t on the teamsheet tommorrow
I''m going to be very concerned. Until then though let''s
wait and see I think it might just be speculation by
a bored local reporter.

[quote]We have to wonder whether last year... ---> Would Jason Shackell have played so well if he had played every game... ---> Was it perfect timing by Worthington to blend him in slowly and not rus...[/quote]

Well said, son...

The tendency for people on this board to panic and react negatively to every little media comment is worrying...

I, like the rest of you, am concerned about our defence this season, as we were woeful at times last time around... but, one thing people point out all the time, we''re not in the Premiership any more, and just because players struggled against Lampard, Henry, etc, doesn''t mean they''ll struggle against Healy, Connoly, etc...

I am a great fan of Shacks and was one of the first to call for his inclusion. At the time I was basically slagged off by many posters saying........''he''s too young, he''s got no experience, can''t possibly play him in the Premier'' etc. etc. He is far from the finished article e.g. he is much too reliant on his left foot but then I assume the coaching staff will have ironed that out in the summer (but don''t hold your breath on that!!).

I am not at all surprised about this report. When I saw that he did''nt start against Inter I feared the worst. Of course we have no information on the background to this e.g. has his fitness suffered following his illness, has he been a ''naughty boy'' etc. so it may well be a very good call by Worthy. I do take issue with those who say that his age means he must be ''gently phased in''. That may be correct at 16 or 17, but NOT at 21 / 22!. Of course he can play all season!

IF he gets fully fit and is then brought straight back in then fine but I do wonder whether this may be the old Worthy again. Basically he has no real interest in REALLY developing our own young talent (his record confirms that) and if Shacks now disappears from the first team after what he achieved in the last couple of months of last season then my worst fears will be realised.

I asked a member of the youth set up at the club this very question (i.e. ''is Worthy GENUINELY committed to developing our own young talent'' about 6 months ago and the answer was ..........''I don''t want to comment on that''. Read into that what you will.   

The thing that worries me is that if he isn''t fit, then why hasn''t Worthy said that he isn''t fit like he has Safri and Jarrett in recent weeks? He must be fit!?

Although Francis has gone ,at the end of last season Worthy said he will be building his team around Shacks,Green,The spoilt one and Ashton.

On this basis we should have no worries.

[quote]Upon reading todays EDP it seems like it is a strong possiblity that we will see a Francis- Doherty partnership at the back. How the hell can Worthy justify this selection after the virtually faultles...[/quote]

Irrespective of whether Shackell is 100% fit he did more in the short time he was on the pitch against Inter than Fleming did for the full 90 mins.  Nigel Worthington sees something in Fleming that the majority of supporters are struggling to understand.

If we are to get straight back up then Shackell should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.  If Worthy fails to start him in the opening games then he may need to face the consequences if Shackell moves onto another club where he will be guaranteed first team football.  Shackell is already showing experience way beyond his years and even the most sceptical must see he is now probably our best central defender.

Perhaps the web team might like to start up a poll on the pinkun asking who the supporters would prefer in the centre of our defence, Fleming or Shackell.  Shackell would get my vote by a mile.

Spot on, Jamie Wright.  There have been no reports of Shackell being unfit or concern about his recovery from illness.

Of course it could just be reporter hypothesising but we have all seen how Mr W can behave in the past.

Yellow Rider also makes the point that Shackell is not a "young" player, he is 21/22 years old and at an age when many many players play for a full season.

I don''t know why I worry about Mr W and his seemingly incomprehensible selections but I do

Having just read the EDP article, I think you may all be getting upset about nothing. All it appears to be is some hack''s assumption; do we have any reason to believe he is privy to Worthy''s team selection?

I wonder if he''s the same journo who produced the awful Look East piece on BBC tonight. All we got was the story of Mr. Norwich''s (aka Mr. Fleming, aka their worst defender) spiritual journey from personal angst to steely-jawed determination for the forthcoming season, nothing about NCFC at all.

I have unbridled admiration for Nigel''s managerial abilities, but his persistence with this player (nice bloke though he undoubtedly is) I find inexplicable.

I agree with others that if he is 21/22 then he is plenty old enough to play all the games, in fact he should be more capable than a 32/33 year old. I assume (hope) that if he doesn''t start it is because he is a bit behind due to his mumps.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is the fact that many posters are dismissing the forward lines of CCC clubs, I think our defence will have to be on their toes and perform well. There are many players in this league who are close to being good enough for Prem clubs and although they might not have other prem players around them, they will still cause us lots of problems. We would appear to have a relatively easy start with Coventry and Crewe, our first real test should be Palace. My concern is that although they were preseason friendlies both Southend and Colchester put two past us and the manner they were conceded worries me that we have not learned lessons from last year.

Mark .Y.

Ok so Saturday has come and gone and I think it is safe to say we are all a little disappointed with the result and the performance on show.

The EDP reporter was proved right as City lined up with Flem & Doc at the back. Now there have been differing views on the reasons behind Shackell''s ommission but I really do hope that if he is unfit then he soon recovers and if it is a fall out with the manager then a resolve is immidiate.

We need this boy as a mainstay in our defence as it is crystal clear that even in the First Division that Fleming and Doherty cannot cut the proverbial mustard.

Actually, Worthington is now giving us retrospective information.  If Shacks was still unfit because of illness, then why not say so at the outset just as we were told about the other unfit players. There is more to this than meets the eye.........