Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Turner Fulham

Emergency loan until the end of the season. Won''t be able to play against us, last game of the season. Any chance of a new central defender coming our way now?

R Bennett played for the U21s this week and we''ve seen that Neil picked Cuellar over Turner so I don''t think this is any loss to us. I don''t think hes a bad player its just the poor bloke is as slow as an ox.

Under the current manager may well be 5th choice now R Bennett is near fitness. I like Turner but I don''t feel he''s right for a pressing game with a high line. Maybe wages like others have said will be used elsewhere, but I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s off in the summer anyway.

Would expect him to be off in the summer anyway. With the likes of Cuellar & Garrido aswell, no matter what division we are in.

must admit I''m slightly uneasy at this......He''d be my first replacement for Bassong and Martin, Cueller''s particularly clumsy,Bennett''s injury prone and Miquel too inexperienced.

even in the short time Bassong has been back he''s had two separate injuries.

Turner is a bit unlucky with the way the season has gone.

Our best defender earlier in the campaign and at times looked like the only one who could defend.

But then his form dipped and he never managed to regain his place.

Doubt we''ll see him in a Norwich shirt again.

Don''t think Turner has the attributes to play in the kind of system Neil wants to introduce, neither does Cuellar for that matter.
Neil wants his teams to play a high-pressing game with the full-backs pushing very high in possession. This necessitates the use of a high defensive line and requires relatively mobile centre-halves who are able to cover the space that their full-backs vacate, whilst the defensive midfielder covers the centre.
Turner is a very good defender, but mobility is clearly not one of his strengths and I think he would look very out of place in a high defensive line that also puts emphasis on his ability to cover wide. Cuellar is much the same, although I think he is a poorer player overall than Turner.
Martin and Bassong, who are both relatively mobile and capable of covering wide, are the better fits for the system. Not too sure about Ryan Bennett. 
I expect new centre-backs that are better suited to Neil''s system will be brought in next season, regardless of what division Norwich are in.

Actually seems ok to me - AN appears to have settled on his preferred, and reasonably consistent, back line in which Turner hasn''t had a look in; we have a fit again Bennett ready to come in and Cuellar also higher up the pecking order. We have to trust the judgement of the man in charge, he''s not done too much wrong to date.

CJRV 2014 wrote the following post at 12/03/2015 6:37 PM:

I actually forgot about Miquel. Why on earth did we sign him

Yes why was he & others who don''t appear in the squad - why were they signed ?

Adams ridiculous spending spree in the summer

Signed 9 but we only ever see 2/3 on a regular basis - complete waste of money

How much was spent (wasted) - sure one of the Trolls could tall us ?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]must admit I''m slightly uneasy at this......He''d be my first replacement for Bassong and Martin, Cueller''s particularly clumsy,Bennett''s injury prone and Miquel too inexperienced. even in the short time Bassong has been back he''s had two separate injuries.[/quote]

Agreed. Odd decision. Thought he did well most of the time and on his day, a rock in the middle.

[quote user="Newton"]CJRV 2014 wrote the following post at 12/03/2015 6:37 PM:

I actually forgot about Miquel. Why on earth did we sign him

Yes why was he & others who don''t appear in the squad - why were they signed ?

Adams ridiculous spending spree in the summer

Signed 9 but we only ever see 2/3 on a regular basis - complete waste of money

How much was spent (wasted) - sure one of the Trolls could tall us ?[/quote]Was it £17.2 million? You seem to have the accounts open on a regular basis so maybe after all your whinging you should be able to tell us.

Struggles to play more than 25 games a season these days, has never been the quickest defender, doesn''t ideally suit our current style of play and is turning 32 this year with younger players like Bennett on the verge of coming through and challenging the likes of Martin for a first team spot on a regular basis.At times has been our steadiest and arguably best defender, but has also had numerous games where his lack of pace has been horribly telling and we''ve got spanked (such as that opening day debacle against Fulham).I think he''ll be off in the summer anyway, so we get a player off the wage bill for a couple of months, potentially help Fulham get results against a couple of the teams next to us chasing auto promotion and by the time we play them, unless they''ve gone on a horrible losing streak and dropped 8 points against those behind them, they''ll have nothing to play for anyway.Sounds like a total win-win, especially if Turner does well and gets a move out of it (assuming he is surplus to requirements here).

Never been a fan of Turner, hopefully its the last we see of him. He reads the game well but often finds himself out of position and has very little composure on the ball. A friend of mine is a Sunderland fan and he thought it was hilarious when we signed him!

NCFCgardner,

I do love a player who reads the game well but finds himself out of position??

I think you are correct, unlikely to see him in a Norwich shirt again, although had his moments with us.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Don''t think Turner has the attributes to play in the kind of system Neil wants to introduce, neither does Cuellar for that matter.
Neil wants his teams to play a high-pressing game with the full-backs pushing very high in possession. This necessitates the use of a high defensive line and requires relatively mobile centre-halves who are able to cover the space that their full-backs vacate, whilst the defensive midfielder covers the centre.
Turner is a very good defender, but mobility is clearly not one of his strengths and I think he would look very out of place in a high defensive line that also puts emphasis on his ability to cover wide. Cuellar is much the same, although I think he is a poorer player overall than Turner.
Martin and Bassong, who are both relatively mobile and capable of covering wide, are the better fits for the system. Not too sure about Ryan Bennett. 
I expect new centre-backs that are better suited to Neil''s system will be brought in next season, regardless of what division Norwich are in.
[/quote]

Good, thoughtful, analytical, objective post.... mind you, I only think so because I agree with every point.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]Never been a fan of Turner, hopefully its the last we see of him. He reads the game well but often finds himself out of position and has very little composure on the ball. A friend of mine is a Sunderland fan and he thought it was hilarious when we signed him![/quote]Your Sunderland friend may have thought it hilarious, but in fact it was a great signing since MT played a crucial part in our surviving a second season in the PL and certainly wasn''t any more at fault for our relegation last season than those around him. He has served us well and his attitude has always been first class. A good pro of the kind every team needs.Someone comments in another post about his heading. When he was captain of Hull in their first stint in the PL,  he kept them up almost single handedly in the first year due in no small part to crucial set piece goals. He was a titan all through that season, and their Player of the Year (also in the preceding promotion year). The Hull fans voted him their POS three years in succession. Sunderland signed him precisely because he was playing so well at that time. Unfortunately for him, in his second season at Sunderland, he suffered a serious knee injury which kept him out for several months and to which his subsequent loss of pace can be attributed. So he has never regained the level of performance he once showed, but that is no reason to downplay his contribution to our club.

Martin and Seb are first choice.

A fit R Bennett is second

Cueller 3rd

and Miquel is there if we''re desperate.

Turner isn''t getting any younger and wants ti play because he can''t get in our first team. Fair dues to him, he might even help Fulham take some points off our rivals

Great move for us! - Turner can hopefully tighten up the back four of Fulham and poach some points from those around us.

Also come last game of the season he won''t be able to play against us so we''ll have a weaker defense to go up against!

Lastly getting him some game time and in the shop window isn''t a bad idea after all!

Reading between the lines of a quote from AN a few weeks ago, he talked about ''players'' needing to get over being dropped from the team and going out and proving they are worthy of being recalled.  I suspect Turner was one of them. Given we have 4 other centre halves, I don''t think its any surprise he''s gone.  Good for him to actively say ''you know what, I want to play and you don''t rate me, can I go out on loan?''  I suspect Lafferty was the same.  And yes, if he can help Fulham take some points off teams around us, that''s a bonus.