Sign in to follow this  
Walnut

Derby County - Ticket Protest £40

Derby County will be holding a peaceful protest on the day of the game outside the main stand at 2:15pm.

The protest will be held to highlight the ever-growing cost of football, highlighted by the £40 being charged for the away fans [and indeed the home fans too] for a second-tier match.

The protest will be supported by the ''twenty''s plenty'' campaign with leaflets and banners distributed. Although being organised by DCFC fans, this is a campaign that all supporters should unite together.

It would be great for us [Norwich fans] to join in together with the Derby supporters on this issue. £40 for a normal league match in the second tier is simply too much. Time for a stand.

I assume you''ll be doing this at all Championship grounds that charge similar prices then? Including the iPro itself?

I sincerely hope you don''t go up this season, Premier League prices are going to shock you even further.

To clarify, I''m a Norwich fan and not a Derby fan [I appreciate "1st post" suspicions].

Regardless, this is not a matter of who supports who, or which team charges what. This is a campaign that simply, every supporter up and down the country should fully get behind.

Everybody knows the prices of watching football abroad, especially German football, thanks to heavy media coverage in recent seasons.

A £40 ticket should be reserved for a special occasion match, e.g. play-off game, semi-final cup game, etc.

We are lucky to have the season-ticket base that we do, but for the casual fan/exiled fans/away fans, it''s just sadly become too expensive to follow your team.

[quote user="Walnut"]To clarify, I''m a Norwich fan and not a Derby fan [I appreciate "1st post" suspicions].

Regardless, this is not a matter of who supports who, or which team charges what. This is a campaign that simply, every supporter up and down the country should fully get behind.

Everybody knows the prices of watching football abroad, especially German football, thanks to heavy media coverage in recent seasons.

A £40 ticket should be reserved for a special occasion match, e.g. play-off game, semi-final cup game, etc.

We are lucky to have the season-ticket base that we do, but for the casual fan/exiled fans/away fans, it''s just sadly become too expensive to follow your team.[/quote]This has already been discussed at great length on this forum.I agree that prices are too high, but I do not agree with Norwich City being singled out here, virtually every team in the league is guilty, including Derby County.I would fully support this if it were league wide, and happening at every ground.But join in with a protest against my own club? I''ll pass thanks.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Petty tribalism beats lower ticket prices for all!

Well done football fans, well done.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/away-fans/score-campaign-twentys-plenty-for-away-tickets/[/quote]Funnily enough, I tweeted the fsf asking them why they didn''t consider backing a protest when Derby charged Leeds £39.Oddly, they never replied.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Petty tribalism beats lower ticket prices for all!

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/away-fans/score-campaign-twentys-plenty-for-away-tickets/[/quote]And its not about petty tribalism either, its firstly about the slight hypocrisy of the Derby fans, and secondly its about something that is a league wide problem suddenly being focused on Norwich City.They can say all they like about it not just being about our club, but when the protest is outside it, you know how the press will spin it.

I totally concur about the sentiment. The trouble is that it''s about supply and demand. Like any business, the club will charge the maximum price they can while still making enough sales (i.e.filling the ground). There are likely to be a few other considerations about sustainability in the medium to long term insofar as they do not want attendances to decline or people to be put off. However, they are trying to achieve the impossible balance of at least breaking even while paying the spiralling player wages and transfer fees required to compete in the league.If I could change things, I would heavily tax clubs for paying any player''s wages over a certain amount but offer them an equivalent tax break for reducing ticket prices; effectively fining them for having prices too high. Better still, make the premier league clubs subsidise the rest of the football pyramid so that even the poorest clubs can keep afloat. But we live in a capitalist world where us common folk are expected to (and do) pay to keep the rich people rich. If we start capping wages and other top leagues don''t then the best players will go abroad. Would you prefer to watch a lower standard of football for a lower price?

£40 for a second tier match is certainly excessive, but i''m taking morty''s side here. Truth is, Norwich City FC is the only Championship club to fill a 20,000+ seater week-in week-out, showing the demand for what''s on supply, and at it''s stated price, is there.I think the issue of ticket prices comes second to stadium expansion for a club like ours with a whole host of loyal fans on season ticket waiting lists (not forgetting those who don''t bother, only due to the long and indeterminable amount of time it takes to finally get to the front of the queue). But then it''s also hard to blame the club for not doing so (i.e. expanding) without a brief look at our fairly recent history and all the dire trouble our last expansion got us into. As such most intelligent Norwich fans are likely to prefer the board bide it''s time until it can make a practical, low risk attempt at it.Only when expansion comes about do i think we can rightly look to the club to reduce ticket prices and so make league football in Norfolk all the more accessible, and thus build the foundations for further generations across demographic barriers to join in (no doubt such high prices do ultimately limit us in the long term).Perhaps if a nation wide protest demanding the Football League sanction some rules, or caps, on ticket prices altogether gathers steam it might rouse a few fans in Norfolk to wade in. But the way i see it is that Norwich are among those Football League clubs with the least incentive to alter prices at the moment.

I agree with everything Morty said, and the perfect response to anyone thinking of targeting our club. Derby sell the largest proportion of their stadium most games, but have no fear in upping the price for the visit of Leeds, very hypocritical IMO.

Most fans would agree football is getting expensive nowadays, and I for one would support a move to have one price for away fans, same at all clubs, without away fans it can be soulless, but this is totally the wrong approach from Derby fans.

This really is a terrible protest, a 14:15 they''ll be telling the club how bad the situation is and the after a bit of shouting and waving bits of A4 paper they''ll all take their places in the stadium.

The only way you''ll get the clubs to change is if you boycott purchasing the tickets and don''t go to the games otherwise they''ll take your money, empathise with you and then look forward to the next set of fans who will pay the prices set. If you don''t want to be exploited then you know what to do.

Exactly what ive been saying.

When we can fill our stadium at £40 a head for the people that don''t have a season ticket the club will continute to charge it, at the end of the day it''s business and for them it makes ''business sense''. If we had 20,000 maximum every game Im sure we would see a drop in prices.

Having said that It''s still sad it''s £40 to watch a 90 minute game of championship football. I only manage to get to 5/10 away games in a season but I''m happy to pay that for a day out, have done over the past few seasons and will continue To do so despite the league/opposition

As Jim would say...petty tribalism my @rse...

This is at our club and about our club and will be reported as such. If it was about lower prices for all it would be orchestrated at national level like other protests and issues are.

And further more I don''t see why Championship football should be treated any differently to Premier League football. I go to support my team not to see the opposition. In fact a better case could be argued for cheaper football in the PL allowing some of the millions to filter through to the fabled 12th man.

Football is to expensive. £40 tickets are too much. It''s a national issue for all supporters who go to games. Don''t let them make it about our club.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Petty tribalism beats lower ticket prices for all!

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/away-fans/score-campaign-twentys-plenty-for-away-tickets/[/quote]And its not about petty tribalism either, its firstly about the slight hypocrisy of the Derby fans, and secondly its about something that is a league wide problem suddenly being focused on Norwich City.They can say all they like about it not just being about our club, but when the protest is outside it, you know how the press will spin it.[/quote]Having looked at a Derby forum their fans are clearly not saying it is not about Norwich City. On the contrary the basis for their protest is that our prices are a prime and extreme example of over-charging by clubs. So it is a protest against us in particular as well as against prices in general. Any press coverage that fingers us will not be spun. It will be fair reporting.The truth is, as shown by that survey of season ticket prices in the Championshp and my own very quick survey of prices for casual tickets, is that, bearing various variables in mind, we are roughly at the top of both lists.If we are being singled out (although I doubt this will be the last such protest)  it is because our pricing policy has put us in a position where it is justified to single us out. Actions have consequences. If we want to charge what we are charging then we have to expect some bad publicity.

Was that the survey where you clearly omitted things like how much Derby charged Leeds, and how much Ipswich charged us Purple?

And this is about away prices, not season tickets.

[quote user="morty"]Was that the survey where you clearly omitted things like how much Derby charged Leeds, and how much Ipswich charged us Purple?

And this is about away prices, not season tickets.[/quote]If by "clearly" you are trying to imply "deliberately" then, no, I did not omit anything. I said at the outset it was a quick survey and I also said:It is raining in paradise, so I had a few minutes to look at this a bit

more closely. I haven''t double-checked these figures, so they may not

all be entirely accurate. They are the range of adult prices, generally

paid in advance (I had trouble finding figures for Bolton, Brentford and

Derby):Which I did. I could not find their overall lists giving the range of prices. So for Derby I quoted the figures - "from £19" - for their game against their promotion rivals Middlesbrough, which must count as one of their biggest of the season.I also, for example, quoted what Fulham, as a London club just down from the Premier League that might have been expected to have high prices, were charging for their home game with Derby (FULHAM vs DERBY
: £25-£35) as useful context.In any event what Derby may have charged Leeds fans doesn''t alter the fact, which I notice you are not denying, that surveys of our season ticket prices and our casual prices put us at or very near the top of both. That is not accidental; that is plainly a deliberate policy. But one the directors must have known was likely to incur some bad publicity. Which we are now getting. You may not like the bad publicity but it cannot be argued that it is unforeseeable, or undeserved.

Where does the Supporters Trust stand on this issue? Their chairman recently tweeted he was discussing the matter on Radio Derby a couple of days ago and as they campaign to have away tickets capped at £20, I assume they will be supporting this protest. From their website......."we will continue to work

to improve the lot of City fans and football fans in general on issues

such as ticket pricing
"Does anyone know if they''re organising a protest from this end?

I went to a Twenty is Plenty meeting in London a few years back, a very passionate Liverpool fan Jay McKenna was one of the driving forces behind the campaign. He was hoping that a joint protest between Liverpool and Man Utd fans would get word across to the Premier League that prices were too expensive and this was planned for a league match that season. As to whether it actually went ahead, I''m not sure, but the idea was to show that fans are united when it comes to ticket prices.

I personally think £40 is too much, but I also believe £20 is perhaps a little low.

[quote user="morty"]Why would the supporters trust organise a protest against Norwich City, lapps?[/quote]The OP clearly said the protest is not against the club but ticket prices generally, something the Trust supports.

I suspect that they support the issue in general. Support doesn''t have to equal protest though, does it?

[quote user="morty"]Exactly, you cherry picked figures that suited the point you were trying to make.[/quote]On the contrary, far from cherry-picking anything, since this debate was sparked off by what our casual prices were for the home game with Derby, I thought Fulham''s figures for their game with the same team would provide useful context. And I would have published those Fulham figures no matter what they showed. I could have added, which I didn''t, that the price for that game that Derby fans will have to pay is only £25. I didn''t do that because my survey generally listed covered the range of casual home prices rather than specifically what away fans were paying.But since you have brought it up, then I am happy to highlight that fact - Derby fans will be paying £15 less at Craven Cottage than they will at Carrow Road.

To be fair what Purple is saying is perfectly reasonable. Should it be that we are by most, if not by all accounts, charging among the highest prices for tickets in the Championship (whether it be away, casual or season tickets) would unlikely be a surprise to any Norwich fan (club itself included) i imagine; and that this would garner bad press wouldn''t be a surprise to anyone either. However that the press would be in furore about it doesn''t necessarily mean that Norwich fans will share that sentiment and get hyped up and start a series of protests lambasting the club for extorting it''s fanbase. As per the Hughton saga, outside of the staff at the club we''re -for the most part- among the most qualified people in the country to speak current on issues concerning Norwich City directly, and i imagine i''m not among the few who support Norwich City that can understand the club''s position on the matter, and where a protest couldn''t be further from my mind.I find myself agreeing with both morty and PC, yet i wouldn''t say i''m sufferring from any cognitive dissonance (on this issue at least).

[quote user="morty"]I suspect that they support the issue in general. Support doesn''t have to equal protest though, does it?[/quote]You''ve said yourself on this thread "And this is about away prices, not season tickets". One of the Trusts main aims is cheaper away tickets, so why wouldn''t they support it?