Sign in to follow this  
Mervyn Corn

Is Ruddy becoming a liability?

Hmm; I dunno why my previous post ended up with the word discussion in inverted commas!!? Not intentional.

Ippo keeper was rubbish in the first match, mistake for the goal not coming to claim ahead of Grabban

David Forde from Milwall was utter plop in both games and basically gifted us the wins.

Past that, i''m struggling but there will be others.

Ruddy hasn''t had the greatest season due to a few silly errors but I trust him to recover strongly from them.

Anyone remember his debut preseason versus Everton for us?

I went with my mate who is an Evertonian and when that clanger went in from Arteta, he was all "thanks for the £300k" but over the years he realises Ruddy is a quality keeper.

Another thing must be the mentality of having little to do and then suddenly being called into action. I remember Man City on MNF winning 1-0 once and Gary Neville gave Joe Hart the man of the match to the dumbfoundment of the other commentators as he''d only had 1 save to make in the 88th minute.

Neville alluded that was the reason why he''d given it him. He said something like "to go the whole match with nothing to do and then pull of the save he did near the end shows tremendous mental strength." I suppose Nevilles 2 decades at Man U had a lot of times like that, so he realises more than anyone else the importance of a good keeper given he''s played with the best (Schmeichel) and the worst (Taibi) in the business.

More often than not, Ruddy has come up trumps for us, i guess he must be struggling to deal with the mentality of going from small fish to big fish a bit and having less shots to deal with but more unexpected ones.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Ippo keeper was rubbish in the first match, mistake for the goal not coming to claim ahead of Grabban

David Forde from Milwall was utter plop in both games and basically gifted us the wins.

Past that, i''m struggling but there will be others.

Ruddy hasn''t had the greatest season due to a few silly errors but I trust him to recover strongly from them.

Anyone remember his debut preseason versus Everton for us?

I went with my mate who is an Evertonian and when that clanger went in from Arteta, he was all "thanks for the £300k" but over the years he realises Ruddy is a quality keeper.

Another thing must be the mentality of having little to do and then suddenly being called into action. I remember Man City on MNF winning 1-0 once and Gary Neville gave Joe Hart the man of the match to the dumbfoundment of the other commentators as he''d only had 1 save to make in the 88th minute.

Neville alluded that was the reason why he''d given it him. He said something like "to go the whole match with nothing to do and then pull of the save he did near the end shows tremendous mental strength." I suppose Nevilles 2 decades at Man U had a lot of times like that, so he realises more than anyone else the importance of a good keeper given he''s played with the best (Schmeichel) and the worst (Taibi) in the business.

More often than not, Ruddy has come up trumps for us, i guess he must be struggling to deal with the mentality of going from small fish to big fish a bit and having less shots to deal with but more unexpected ones.[/quote]the most important trait for a goalkeeper is concentration...Case in point, David James, and probably the best Liverpool side of a generation Not to win the league title.. Higher profile clangers (the Man Utd Andi Cole one) spring to mind.. James admitted his concentration suffered during games... Best examples today are Buffon and Neuer... Neuer is often praised for his "outfield" ability.. but his concentration levels are so high this is the reason he can get away with it... he knows whats going on and where.

It was only as recently as the Ipswich game where he saved us with a great save when the Ipswich striker was one on one with him with the score at 1-0.

Incredible keeper and we are lucky to have him.

The only liability in the team at the moment is Olsson in my opinion.

Absoultely bottled a tackle leading up to the first corner which ultimately led to the second corner and the goal.

Been a liability all season imo, although great first time cross for the goal.

In a way I do agree, some of his performances in the prem seasons were outstanding and I can recall several games where he won us the points.

This season has been much different and there have been several goals where perhaps previously save-able shots have been slipped through. He definitely seems to have lost a bit of his confidence and therefore ability since his injury/rejection from the England Squad.

In the prem I remember him being very assertive and commanding when coming for crosses and there now seems to be a doubt and hesistancy in his head that he needs to stamp out ASAP. Unfortunately the Derby goal will only add to this.

Having said that I was very scared we would lose him in the summer and found it very pleasing to see and read how committed he was to the club and the fans.

With this in mind, we must stay behind him and hope that he can turn his performances around. He did it after initial doubt under Lambert so I''m sure he can do it again!

Goalkeeping errors are definitely much more frequent in this league and I''d probably say he slots in the upper bracket of goalkeepers in the Championship. But I really felt when we were in the Prem that he could have gone on to bigger and better things!

He doesn''t appear to be at the level he was probably two years ago, but he''s still a steady ''keeper and the best we have.

I know there''s an argument for him being fouled on Saturday, but for me he should have been stronger and dealt with it.

Every player makes mistakes but when a goalkeeper does it normally directly leads to a goal against.

Have 100% confidence he''ll perform for the rest of the season - it was just one of them things.

Wes Hooly Fan wrote the following post at 16/03/2015 2:46 PM:

He doesn''t appear to be at the level he was probably two years ago, but he''s still a steady ''keeper and the best we have.

I know there''s an argument for him being fouled on Saturday, but for me he should have been stronger and dealt with it.

Every player makes mistakes but when a goalkeeper does it normally directly leads to a goal against.

Have 100% confidence he''ll perform for the rest of the season - it was just one of them things.

No - it wasn''t just one of those things ........... it was a foul!

I think the crowd should get behind Ruddy and give him his confidence back. He has done wonders for the club and we should support him.

Stop the negativity, give him Support he WILL perform. He has been off his game since the negative Boo''s from the crowd a while back. He doesn''t need it. He needs us

Chappers

[quote user="Ely Canary"]I think the crowd should get behind Ruddy and give him his confidence back. He has done wonders for the club and we should support him. Stop the negativity, give him Support he WILL perform. He has been off his game since the negative Boo''s from the crowd a while back. He doesn''t need it. He needs us Chappers[/quote]

The crowd is behind him, Barclay wassinging his name at the end of the game.  Majority of fans realise this was an error, we need him for the next nine games so no point in having a go at him.  Get behind everyone and go for it.

I''d definitely stick with Ruddy it was only a few weeks ago he made a great save against Ipswich that probably got us the win.

However i think the whole team needs to look at how they defend and attack set pieces. I can only really recall the Middlesborough away match where we have been totally turned over open play wise, but we''ve constantly given poor opposition a chance because we seem totally unable to be convincing at set pieces at either end (and i dont mean Ruddy is solely responsible for that, but he certainly has had his part to play).

he needs to start scoring at the right end to help us secure promotion.

Seriously though he''s more than good enough for us, think we need to be looking at other areas of the pitch before we look at Ruddy as a weak link.

I think we ought to sell Ruddy at the end of the season because he''s not the solid choice he''s often made out to be. Despite being a very able keeper the ''all keepers make mistakes'' line is frequently used as an excuse for his shortcomings.Time to cash in and promote Rudd. We''ll be making a nice profit and can possibly look to buy a promising young keeper plus an experienced back up should we need to.

I think everyone should take a look at the You Tube clip before passing comment.It looks like he was grabbing Ruddy''s arm so he was definitely fouled. Even the top premier keepers would have struggled in that situation.

After the disappointment of losing Forster, Ruddy won me over with his solid, commanding performances and massive contribution to the first two seasons in the Premier League. It seems that since returning from his lengthy spell out, when Bunn deputised, his confidence and ability have been questionable. There''s no doubt he''s had to deal with a changing defence that would make even Gordon Banks nervous but he''s simply not been the reliable figure of past years. His wayward kicking is noticeable, he panics with most pass backs, and the costly spillage against Derby is symptomatic of a goalkeeper who''s lost his once huge presence. Yes, mistakes are made and they''re compounded when it''s a ''keeper but let''s just say I am not surprised by the way we conceded the other day. I really do hope Ruddy becomes indomitable again and can vie for an England place, but I''m concerned he''s become irreparably fragile and prone to panicking. Fingers crossed this is not the case, we need him to be faultless for this vital run-in.