Sign in to follow this  
Mervyn Corn

Is Ruddy becoming a liability?

By his own high standards, I think he has had a pretty lacklustre season. Of late he has started to look like one of the weaker members of the team. Yesterday he had two big standard "saves" to make. Neither should have troubled him. He spilled both.

I don''t buy that he was impeded for the goal. He just messed up spectacularly. Did any of the players complain to the ref? No. I think his confidence is shot. Oh, and his kicking is getting increasingly wayward.

So do we stick and hope his form and confidence improve or twist with Rudd?

Having replayed it several times on a recording of last night''s highlights from the BBC FLS as I saw nothing wrong on my stream yesterday:

1) Ruddy was definitely held by a Derby player, although it''s easy to miss

2) He clealy complained about it, and looked to the assistant referee when he saw he was getting nothing from the ref, to no avail

It''s an interesting question as to whether he is becoming a liability. I think he is becoming prone to minor errors in two areas:1. Fumbling easy catches and dropping the ball in dangerous situations, in the net yesterday and had a close shave a few home games earlier. He struggled with another routine save earlier in the second half as well, letting it bounce off his chest five yards ahead of him before gathering at the second attempt.2. Failing to come out for long balls from the opposition that have bounced in the area. He did that again yesterday and there''s no excuse for hesitancy when he sees so little of the ball he should be eager for a touch. It puts our defence under pressure and forces us to needlessly turnover possession. This also hints at potential miscommunication with the centre backs but that will hopefully improve as our current back four settles in.He has got strong points, he''s (normally) good at coming and collecting corners and crosses and his distribution is very good. However he rarely makes an impressive goal stopping save these days and normally a decent shot from an opponent beats him. We''ve had one good shot against us in the last two home games and he''s conceded two goals, not impressive.I would question whether if Derby had Ruddy in goal he would have saved both the Bassong header and Hooper curling shot and I''m not sure he would. You can blame our outfield players for only forcing good saves from Lee Grant but to me Ruddy letting that ball drop in the net yesterday definitely cost us two points in a vital 6 pointer and probably cost us a chance at automatic promotion as the top four look to pull away from us again.I certainly wouldn''t drop him for Rudd right now as I think he''s a poorer goalkeeper but if Ruddy''s hearts not at the club and we can sell him for £3-5million in the Summer you have to ask if we''d be better off letting him go and bringing in some fresh blood and earning a few million in the process.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Having replayed it several times on a recording of last night''s highlights from the BBC FLS as I saw nothing wrong on my stream yesterday:

1) Ruddy was definitely held by a Derby player, although it''s easy to miss

2) He clealy complained about it, and looked to the assistant referee when he saw he was getting nothing from the ref, to no avail[/quote]

This ^ If you can''t see either from the available video replays then may I suggest some specs?

I think people are looking for excuses. He needs to be stronger and better than that. Do you think Keelan would have worried about some brushing against his arm?

What I''d say about Ruddy is that Norwich is probably about his level. I don''t think he''d be quite cut out to do it for a club of greater stature/one that''s chasing bigger prizes.

[quote user="Mervyn Corn"]By his own high standards, I think he has had a pretty lacklustre season. Of late he has started to look like one of the weaker members of the team. Yesterday he had two big standard "saves" to make. Neither should have troubled him. He spilled both.

I don''t buy that he was impeded for the goal. He just messed up spectacularly. Did any of the players complain to the ref? No. I think his confidence is shot. Oh, and his kicking is getting increasingly wayward.

So do we stick and hope his form and confidence improve or twist with Rudd?[/quote]

Goal should never have stood you twunt - see here - blatant foul

https://youtu.be/5oJF75mTzoo

No.

Hes a solid prem goalkeeper. Why do I say that? Well, hes not been his best this season yet hes earnt us more points than hes cost us.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Marital issues since New Year...[/quote]

was before that. Easy to say that is what is affecting his performances but who knows. Bad runs happen to every keeper, look at people like Cech, Hart and Casillas. On their day, they are the worlds best keepers but they have had sustained periods of poor form. I think we have to ride it out with him and hope he improves. Not the time to be dropping him now.

stick with him suicide to change now

AN will swap him in the summer if he thinks he is not up to the task

I have always felt he does not commande the six yard box as he should (but then always thought Greeno had vampire tendencies as he hated crosses

Reading home prime example but lets get behind him next 10 games

Quality keeper and Norwich are lucky to have him. When we go up, he will be key.

Ruddy is rubbish! how on earth he made England I''ll never know. Time for him to step aside and give young Rudd a chance.

I would say no as well, to drop your 1st choice keeper at such a vital stage of the season would be a huge risk.

I agree that he hasn''t looked himself this season but is still by far the best option we have between the sticks. I know the errors have been costly but just look at that save from Sears in the Ipswich game, who knows what would''ve happened had that gone in.

The reaction from Barclay after the final whistle (myself included I might add) was great, cheering his name and getting behind him and the team!

Trouble is, I can''t remember opposition goalies playing poorly against us & gifting us goals - they all seem to play out of their skins! Anybody think of any?

but you''re looking at one off games Ron we see a lot more of JR who has played some blinders but shouldn''t be under the pressure of the opposition.

I can recall Lee camp having a mare for QPR, the Preston keeper letting a back pass go under his foot. - the Wimbledon keeper being sent off very early in an end of season match...there are plenty.

Judged over 46 games Ruddy will prove to be as good as any in the Football league.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Trouble is, I can''t remember opposition goalies playing poorly against us & gifting us goals - they all seem to play out of their skins! Anybody think of any?[/quote]
We''ve scored 71 goals past opposition ''keepers so far this season. They''ve not all been unstoppable belters, surely? I''m sure if you could be bothered to read the ''discussion'' fora of every respective team for the couple of days after we''d played them you would find some fans pointing their bony finger of blame at the goalie.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Trouble is, I can''t remember opposition goalies playing poorly against us & gifting us goals - they all seem to play out of their skins! Anybody think of any?[/quote]

Millwall''s keeper did a couple of blunders at CR.