Sign in to follow this  
Derek Sims

We need Doherty out a.s.a.p and more in!!

[quote]No, I certainly don''t think that Dicky, or anyone else on here, is booing or slating the Doc during the match. What I''m talking about is the anticipation levels differing unfairly for each player. Wh...[/quote]

Mook. You really are talking sense at the moment. I get annoyed when someone else makes a mistake it isn''t highlightd but as soon as Doherty gave a pass away Saturday 90% of the crowd were going mental.

I couldn''t believe it. He did actually done more things right than wrong Saturday. He nearly won everyting in the air, he was just a little supsect on the ground but the referee didn''t help.

If people wanna highlight every mistake that a player makes, don''t scapegoat one, but do it to all. You''ll be suprised how many times Huckerby''s runs end with him losing posession!

I think the difference is that we know how well Drury can play - you''re right, he didn''t have a good game Saturday, and there was talk amongst my friends of replacing him with Charlton tonight.  But we know he can perform, and can put it down as a one-off and expect him to get better.

Doherty, on the other hand, has never really shown why he was worth nearly a million squid...

Don''t write me off as a boo-boy, I was a big fan of Svensson/Holt/Helveg and even Rivers for a time, and don''t actively jeer them or look for their mistakes - but I heard a lot from my friends pre-season about how fantastic Doc would be in the fizzy league, give him a chance, etc, etc... well, he''s getting his chance, and he''s not made the best of starts now, has he.........?

Monkey, if you can honestly say hand on heart that Doc was any worse than Flem or Drury then fine, but 90 mins is not a fair chance just yet.   Also in my opinion he actually offered a lot more defensively than Flem and I was also at the game.

Monkey, you''re right, he has not made the best of starts. But if we are giving them all a clean slate, and getting behind Worthy/The Board/Fleming/Leon/whoever, then apply that rule to all our players.

PS - Do we REALLY know what Drury is capable of? For my money, he has not put in an above average performance since getting the captain''s armband, and that was a long, long, long time ago. And by the same token, we DO know that Doherty is a capable player otherwise he wouldn''t have been at the sharp end of international and national football for 5 years.

I say again - yes, he has flaws and has not started well, but which of our players has? And what is making Doc the scapegoat for it all going to achieve? He is not John Terry, but we could do a lot worse than make him feel at home and welcome, and see how this affects his game.

[quote]Monkey, you''re right, he has not made the best of starts. But if we are giving them all a clean slate, and getting behind Worthy/The Board/Fleming/Leon/whoever, then apply that rule to all our players...[/quote]

Totally agree Mook.  For me the Doc has never looked confident in our team and I think if Worthy and us fans can do something about that he could improve.  If feel if we had a confident he might be less "clumsy" and be a better player.

Doherty was and is awful.  IMO we will be lucky to make the top two with Fleming and Doherty as centre back pairing.  They are both just too slow.  Shackell is a quality young player that should be a fixture in the starting line up.  We should also spend a good proportion of the money raised from the sale of Francis on another quality, young centre back.  They are out there.

I''m with Balham Yellow in that neither Doc or Fleming are the players to take us up this year.  It should be Shackell and A.N. Other.

The fact is that Flem is past it and Doc is never going to get there.

As Evil Monkey said earlier, thats IMHO, so is it okay?

I''m not making Doc a scapegoat, I don''t blame him for us not winning at the weekend - lack of midfield accounts mostly for that, and I think it was Flem who lost his man for their equaliser - its just that overall I don''t see where he''s going to find this quality from that''s going to make him great in this league.

As I said, I''d love to be proved wrong on this one, and I will still cheer his name in the line-up like every other player, I just don''t have a lot of confidence in him... I suppose time will tell.........

What I will say about Doherty is that the exact same thing happened when he started at CB last season but after a few games he actually got a lot better

i was at the game on saturday as i am for every home game and i was surprised that doherty was in the starting line up to be fair.i dont know how serious nigel worthington is about getting our team back to the promised land but fall out or no fall out if you want to achieve this you need your strongest team and that includes shackell and not docherty,if he is better than shackell then why did he spend most of last season on the bench.i am not negative as a rule but the longer we play doherty i think this will harm our promotion hopes because of the amount of fouls he commits around the box. ( didnt worthy take off andy hughes for persistent fouling in pre season) should have done the same sat with docherty better teams will punish us from those situations