Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Cov player ratings

Green    6 - little to do, good save from free kick, no chance with goal

MLJ       6 - didnt get forward as much as I had hoped, did cover for flem well, solid

Flem      4 - positionally poor, poor tackling, outclassed by AVERAGE champ strikers 

Doc       6 -solid,prepared to tackle & so conceeded fouls,won most in air, a threat @ corners

Drury     6 - Solid, contained any threat well; needs toget forward more

Marney  6 - some encouraging signs and a superb cross for the goal.

Charlie   5 - out of position & depth, lack of pace an embarrassment, OK on the ball

Hughes  5 - lots of hard work, little impact; where were the tackles and attacking support?

Hux       6 - didnt get the ball soon enough but threatening, unlucky with lob

Leon      6 - subdued?, brought a couple of good saves from bywater, needs better service

Ashton   6 - clinical finish for goal, fed off scraps & too often a lazy escape route for team.

Subs

Jarrett 6 - at least popped up near the penalty box once on

Thorne 6 - no right winger by any stretch of the imagination but seemed OK on the ball

OTBC

First Ranking of the season ZLF!

A little harsh in places. I''ll concentrate on my differences:

Drury: Looked lost vs Scowcroft and too slow in getting the ball passed

L-J: Tackled OK. Looked to be falling into the middle too often. Went for the same ball as Marney for the goal. Maybe give Colin a crack tomorrow?

Marney: At last! Someone who can deliver the ball with pace. More than a 6

Leon: Subdued? Hmmm. Ran his heart out as ever

Heck - you lot really hate Fleming on here don''t you.

To give him a lower score than Charlton is hilarious.  The number of times he fell over was only beaten by the number of times the game completely passed him by.

To say Fleming was outclassed by Championship strikers - but to not say the same about Doherty after the 12 free kicks he gave away is beyond laughing.

To give Charlton the same score as Hughes is also mildly amusing - when I thought Hughes did OK for a first game.

To give Doherty the same score as Ashton - when Deano, scored, hit the bar, had a free kick saved and was man of the match is just funny.

To say Huckerby, Marney and Leon should get 6''s when Leon had two chances well saved, Marney set up the goal and must have put more crosses over than a Jonson season and Hucks had a hand in the goal, set up Ashtons header and nearly scored himself....

Granted Fleming was marking space instead of a bloke in a blue shirt for their goal but thay only had two shots on target in the whole game (The goal and the free kick from another clumsy Doherty challange).  I don''t really see how this is being outclassed.

The main problem with Saturday was the midfield two.  Neither of which ever asked for the ball and certainly never off the back 4.  Reminded me of the previous seasons - Holt never wanted it and Damo used to turn round and run away...hoping that the ball might break and he could score and increase his own value.  This means the only ball on is that clip into the channels for the strikers head.

We can only afford one non footballing midfielder and that should be Hughes (at the moment).  Bring in Jarrett and let him get on the ball.  His first half against Inter reminded me of James Harper from Reading or even that Magilton bloke.  Always showing and wanting the ball and being the link player to keep the ball moving.  Need to play a bit of high tempo, with the ball on the floor and then let the front 4 create havoc.

Green - 6
Louis-Jean - 6
Drury - 6
Fleming - 5
Doherty - 5
Charlton - 5
Hughes - 6
Hucks - 7
Marney - 7
Leon - 7
Deano - 8

[quote]Heck - you lot really hate Fleming on here don''t you. To give him a lower score than Charlton is hilarious. The number of times he fell over was only beaten by the number of times the game completel...[/quote]

Fair comments Nobby G and glad you were stung into giving your views!  

I agree I was probably harsher on Flem than was warranted and that was only due to seeing the same failing this year, against far inferior strikers, that we saw last season and cost us so many goals. 

I agree that the worst area of the pitch was central midfield and was reflected in my scoring,  IMO thefact is was so poor was not down to Charlie alone hence my scoring.

My low scores for the strikers perhaps reflects more the poor service they gave and that over all no one player impressed for the whole game.

And that goes to every individual - a below average performance as a team deserves below average scores.

Keep debating - its what this sites for...

OTBC 

If I get to talk to people like you then i will carry on posting!! Your attitude and work ethic are excellent and you appear to be a Worthy type of player!  Can you play centre half?

My opinions are strong because I always beleive they are right - if not they wouldn''t be my opinions!!!

[quote]If I get to talk to people like you then i will carry on posting!! Your attitude and work ethic are excellent and you appear to be a Worthy type of player! Can you play centre half? My opinions are ...[/quote]

Good to have posters with strong opinions - even if they are wrong when they dont agree with me

I am hurt at the suggestion I am a worthy type player, hard working but no skill on the ball(keyboard?) as I have repeatedly pushed for a better quality of player at the club;  I am obviously posting beyond my level and will join a non league forum where my energy but lack of quality is clearly better suited!

OTBC

[quote]Heck - you lot really hate Fleming on here don''t you. To give him a lower score than Charlton is hilarious. The number of times he fell over was only beaten by the number of times the game completel...[/quote]

Some of them have a rather one-eyed view of Flemmo - others of us appreciate him for what he does for the team without these blinkers. 

Even some of the posters who don''t watch the games still feel entitled to slag him off after the game, having not seen him!!! 

[quote]If I get to talk to people like you then i will carry on posting!! Your attitude and work ethic are excellent and you appear to be a Worthy type of player! Can you play centre half? My opinions are ...[/quote]

Good to have posters with strong opinions - even if they are wrong when they dont agree with me

I am hurt at the suggestion I am a worthy type player, hard working but no skill on the ball(keyboard?) as I have repeatedly pushed for a better quality of player at the club;  I am obviously posting beyond my level and will join a non league forum where my energy but lack of quality is clearly better suited!

OTBC

[quote]Some of them have a rather one-eyed view of Flemmo - others of us appreciate him for what he does for the team without these blinkers. Even some of the posters who don''t watch the games still feel ...[/quote]

Please explain what he does for the team?  I have not slated Fleming as I have only seen the highlights, one of which being the goal.  I would like to know what Flem was contributing to the team when a Coventry striker was left unmarked in our box?  Am I to assume that is was all the Doc''s fault because as you stated he is our worst player.  Fact. 

I like Fleming, he has been great for our club, how often do you see players staying somewhere for 10 years anymore?  It''s just that he does not seem the player he once was but you are quite rightly prepared for him to prove me and others wrong.  How come you are prepared to right off the Doc so quickly but support Flem?

You forgot to rate the paper aeroplane that almost reached Greeno from the back of the Barclay, quality definite 9/10 

I thought Fleming got better as the game went on, he started as usual always making his partner take the nearest striker so he can go spare, but the overlap comes down the opposite side and Doc is left between two players and Flem is on nobody.  However he stopped doing that so much as the game went on.

Bit unfair to say Doc gave away 12 fouls, half of them were lame referee decisions.  All in all he put in a solid display.   Out of the four though I thought MLJ was our best defender.  Quick, calm on the ball and postionally aware, looks very promising for the future.

Charlton had a nightmare, he played so well against Inter that I thought he would be quality on Sat, but had a bad day at the office.    Again playing players out of position is not the answer Worthy, although granted he didn''t have much choice with little fit options on the bench, but pehaps Colin could have player RW and Marney in the middle.

All in all we had more chances on goal and another day would have sealed it, promising for the future I think and I am really excited about the coming season.   Unfortunately I cannot make tomorrow night or Saturday, but will be at all other home games and a few away this season.

Fleming is a gritty, hard working, honest defender who would be an asset to any team in the Championship and I am sure trains as hard as anyone. Doherty has proved his determination to improve by shedding 10lbs and working on his fitness and not moaning at all.

The problem is neither of the above have the pace of Shackell, or his natural footballing brain and obvious leadership qualities and if City want to get back to the promised land their best players MUST play whenever they are available.

[quote]Please explain what he does for the team? I have not slated Fleming as I have only seen the highlights, one of which being the goal. I would like to know what Flem was contributing to the team when ...[/quote]

I would put the Cov goal down to MLJ if anyone - he had wandered totally out of position and allowed Cov to come down their left and feed in a completely unchallenged cross.  Having said that, I think MLJ had a promising first game.

You cannot blame Flemo (or Doherty) for the goal.

Flem has not been the same since Malky left. The amount of balls Flem lumped up the field last year made you appreciate just how (surprisingly) good Malky was at bringing other players into the game. I don''t care how good or loyal he has been, we MUST replace Fleming with a strong, influential centre back RIGHT NOW. I''ve met the bloke and he''s lovely, but he''s lost it, and at his age it doesn''t come back. Is it too much to ask to spend maybe only one of those 27 million pounds we''ve been given this season and last on a decent bloody defender? Perhaps then him (Lescott from Wolves, ideally) and Shacks can have a season creating an awesome partnership that we can take into the Premiership with pride, rather than trepidation.

[quote]Flem has not been the same since Malky left. The amount of balls Flem lumped up the field last year made you appreciate just how (surprisingly) good Malky was at bringing other players into the game. ...[/quote]

2 points:

1st - We have not been given £27million - the club is still heavily in debt, which is common knowledge.

2nd - Do you honestly think Lescott would leave Wolves to join us and that Wolves would sell him? 

Green - did the usual and a great save from the free kick,by the way.

L-Jean - thought he had a good first half but drifted out of position too much in the second.

Drury - did the usual.

Flem - getting booked 5 mins in didnt exactly help but outperformed his partner.

Doherty - how many of these free kicks he gives away in our defensive third will ultimately cost us ?

Hughes - for all the hype NW has been spouting about his hard tackling and box to box abilities , I thought he was a big disappointment.

Charlton - anonymous.Not his fault though , he''s not a central midfielder and performing well there in meaningless friendlies is a different ball game to the real thing.

Marney - encouraging , prepared to cross when possible and also shoot when the chance presents itself.Good business by NW by the look of it and a definite improvement on the show pony from the other side of North London.

Hucks - dangerous when he ran at players but needs to become a 90 minute player again.Much of our success last time out in this division was due to the defence and midfield giving him the ball as early as possible.That didn''t happen enough on Saturday.

Leon - willing as ever and unlucky not to score.

Deano - leads the line superbly and with better luck would have won it with the one that bounced off the bar.

Thought Thorne looked willing when he came on and there wasnt enough time to assess Jarrett.

Lets not get down on the team , people.Its only 1 game in and the new guys need time to bed in , on another day and against a team without a keeper having a blinder , we could have won by 3 or 4.The one area of concern for me is that we still waste too many corners by failing to clear the first man - even Marney fell into the habit.More training required on that one for sure...