Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Video Defence of Ruddy

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/763405753?-11057:808

Hope this link works, pro cam from DCFC website (link is on newsnow id doesn''t work from here) clearly shows Ruddy''s arm being held as the ball came at him.

Was about to post the same. Different link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=5oJF75mTzoo&app=desktop

Blatant and cynical foul. I still think Ruddy could and should have been stronger and shaken him off but its a clear foul. Ironically, through not flinging himself to the ground and making a fuss about it Ruddy has shot himself in the foot. Had he gone to the ground he''d probabloy have got a free kick.

Very, very annoying given the importance of the game.

Agree Jim, he could have been stronger, however I was writing it off as a Ruddy mistake, now have sympathy for him, was both blatant and cynical and disappointing the officials totally missed it, had it been at the other end ?

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/763405753?-11057:808

Hope this link works, pro cam from DCFC website (link is on newsnow id doesn''t work from here) clearly shows Ruddy''s arm being held as the ball came at him.[/quote]

I find it strange you start this thread when there is another thread on this - including this video - and which not fifteen minutes previously you class the goal as a "mistake"? 

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree Jim, he could have been stronger, however I was writing it off as a Ruddy mistake, now have sympathy for him, was both blatant and cynical and disappointing the officials totally missed it, had it been at the other end ?[/quote]

One factor that should not be overlooked in this promotion run in is the general incompetence of the officials at this level and their ability to influence a result.

That goal could cost us big time although i do accept we had enough chances to win the game anyway.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/763405753?-11057:808

Hope this link works, pro cam from DCFC website (link is on newsnow id doesn''t work from here) clearly shows Ruddy''s arm being held as the ball came at him.[/quote]

I find it strange you start this thread when there is another thread on this - including this video - and which not fifteen minutes previously you class the goal as a "mistake"? 

[/quote]

Lakey I had not seen this video until a short while ago, what I saw on TV over the weekend left me putting it down as a mistake, as said earlier I know have sympathy for Ruddy, and feel he could have been stronger, I hate criticising players and always endeavour not to, sorry for changing my opinion upon seeing other evidence, the DCFC behind the goal cam provided.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/763405753?-11057:808

Hope this link works, pro cam from DCFC website (link is on newsnow id doesn''t work from here) clearly shows Ruddy''s arm being held as the ball came at him.[/quote]I find it strange you start this thread when there is another thread on this - including this video - and which not fifteen minutes previously you class the goal as a "mistake"?  [/quote]

Lakey I had not seen this video until a short while ago, what I saw on TV over the weekend left me putting it down as a mistake, as said earlier I know have sympathy for Ruddy, and feel he could have been stronger, I hate criticising players and always endeavour not to, sorry for changing my opinion upon seeing other evidence, the DCFC behind the goal cam provided.[/quote]

No worries, it''s just that this video was mentioned on that thread too and I assumed you would have seen it there.

I just trawled back through the previous and see it now, apologies, wouldn''t have started another had seen it, looked back through the most recent posts and put on the comment about the mistake. Big thing for me is Ruddy wont let that happen to him again, another lesson.

In ice hockey they never let this kind of thing happen to keepers. Whoever starts meesing with the keeper gets massive hiding by the defenders. I''m not sure how Ruddy could have done better bearing in mind that Hanson drags him in a different direction comnpared to where the ball comes. Should he have gone down, to make the the fould more visible? Or use his other hand to get himself free - but then he''d have even less chance to make a save. Rotten foul. If next time Ruddy punches Hanson''s head instead of the ball I won''t be too upset...

Ever notice how a lot of keepers put their arms in the air at corners, to specifically avoid getting into this situation in the first place?

I did wonder at the time about the proximity of the Derby player, but Ruddy/our players didn''t seem to complain too much.

Tbh it is a keeping error whether or not he was being held, he should have not ''allowed'' it to happen and/or made far more of it if he was being held, to get the free kick. That isn''t to have a go at Ruddy in the slightest, it was just one mistake.

[quote user="morty"]Ever notice how a lot of keepers put their arms in the air at corners, to specifically avoid getting into this situation in the first place?[/quote]

That''s probably the only thing that would have helped.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="morty"]Ever notice how a lot of keepers put their arms in the air at corners, to specifically avoid getting into this situation in the first place?[/quote]

That''s probably the only thing that would have helped.[/quote]Which is exactly why this is an error of judgement by Ruddy, I''m afraid.

It''s disappointing but time to move on.

Ruddy has learned from this & he certainly won''t make the same mistake again, I''m sure even he himself would have said he could of done a whole lot better with the situation.

But, it''s over now & done, can''t be changed. Ruddy will save us more points than he costs us.

Huddersfield next & another 3 points up for grabs, OTBC!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="morty"]Ever notice how a lot of keepers put their arms in the air at corners, to specifically avoid getting into this situation in the first place?[/quote]

That''s probably the only thing that would have helped.[/quote]Which is exactly why this is an error of judgement by Ruddy, I''m afraid.[/quote]

The thing is, as a keeper you don''t necessarily want to hold your hands unusually high - just not to get caught - as it can be a disadvantage if/when ball comes low, and let''s face it such fauls are not that frequent, or don''t go unnoticed. The Darby player timed it perfectly.

Thanks for this, hadnt actually seen it but now I have I am amazed that it stood, blatant foul on the keeper. Hard to catch a ball with 1 hand.

Derby player is incredibly smart, he doesn''t even watch the ball as it goes in to Ruddy''s hands as he''s focused on causing the most obstruction he can, without giving away any signs that he''s doing it.

It''s easy to sit here and say he should''ve gone down, could''ve pushed him back, should''ve waved his hands etc. But you''re talking split second there and of course Ruddy knows he could''ve done better in hindsight and i think that''s going on in his head as he complains... What can you do at that point but take out of the chin.

Can''t put blame on him personally, but he will certainly learn from it which makes him a better keeper.

[quote user="Google Bot"]Derby player is incredibly smart, he doesn''t even watch the ball as it goes in to Ruddy''s hands as he''s focused on causing the most obstruction he can, without giving away any signs that he''s doing it.

It''s easy to sit here and say he should''ve gone down, could''ve pushed him back, should''ve waved his hands etc. But you''re talking split second there and of course Ruddy knows he could''ve done better in hindsight and i think that''s going on in his head as he complains... What can you do at that point but take out of the chin.

Can''t put blame on him personally, but he will certainly learn from it which makes him a better keeper.[/quote]

Precisely.  Its almost an art form - making an illusion of appearing totally innocent while doing everything in your power to do the opposite without being seen or detected by an official.  Its cheating, pure and simple.  It happens and the best illusion artists get away with it - Maradona in 86 a prime example.   Its how magic tricks work.   At normal speed you can''t detect it, its only afterwards you wonder - how did that happen.........

in every game I played as a forward in Italy, I was held, impeded, distracted, slyly fouled and wound up..it was a daily and constant part of the fame that you learn to deal with, avoid and pre-empt.

This is very mild and entirely low-grade normal gameplay that Ruddy will have seen a million times and be coached and schooled to avoid, navigate, respond to.

To get a sense of how mild this is - and as a corollary how meekly Ruddy (didn''t) deal with it - get your Mum, Wife, Significant other - to hold your arm under their armpit. See how hard / Easy it is to free yourself.

Now imagine it is your profession.

Then revise all of the sweet - but meaningless - defence of a professional, who will cringe at every soft-hearted word.

Parma

I was at the game (Upper Barclay) and was bewildered at the time. Having just seen the video, my observation is of a nice, pleasant John Ruddy being particularly nice and pleasant about it all!

Painful lesson indeed; 2 precious league points evaporated without a murmur...

A really useful video link.  My reaction initially was the same that Ruddy should''ve raised his hands to prevent this happening, but if you watch the video carefully that''s exactly what he did - both his arms are in the air as he prepares for the corner.  The derby player very cannily gives his left hand a quick tug down and then lets it go as the ball is in flight.  A clear foul but very hard to catch.

Something to work on in training and a reminder of how cynical some of the fouling in football is.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]in every game I played as a forward in Italy, I was held, impeded, distracted, slyly fouled and wound up..it was a daily and constant part of the fame that you learn to deal with, avoid and pre-empt. This is very mild and entirely low-grade normal gameplay that Ruddy will have seen a million times and be coached and schooled to avoid, navigate, respond to. To get a sense of how mild this is - and as a corollary how meekly Ruddy (didn''t) deal with it - get your Mum, Wife, Significant other - to hold your arm under their armpit. See how hard / Easy it is to free yourself. Now imagine it is your profession. Then revise all of the sweet - but meaningless - defence of a professional, who will cringe at every soft-hearted word. Parma[/quote]

[:D][:D]

Absolutely correct Parma. That''s the same experience I had in 30 years of playing football. Certainly any able bodied man who doesn''t understand this and wants to make excuses must have grown up playing football with the girls. That''s no disrespect to the fairer part of the species. Just the force of nature. Ruddy won''t be making any excuses and nor would any professional keeper. They spend years before they even play at the top levels learning how to deal with such situations. 

Yankee, I suspect that there is a misplaced desire to defend Ruddy because of what occurred earlier in the season against Reading.

Perhaps the feeling that he was a victim or suffered or somehow now needs protecting.

Any professional sportsman rejects excuses - often even valid "reasons" - for errors or perceived errors, because to do so ensures that the professional retains a sense of control over their success. To embrace excuses is to embrace random elements and to psychologically acknowledge and entrench that you are not the author of your destiny.

This is not why you train, drill , practice and strive. Nor is it what got you there in the first place.

You apologise to teammates, accept your error and focus all efforts on practical work to ensure it doesn''t happen again. People in their daily lives can easily rationalise and excuse their own errors or inadequacies. It is harsh to hold up all of your own action to a cold mirror and there is mostly no need.

This process is necessary and second nature to professional sportsmen.

Parma

It looked to me from the video as if Ruddy was having his arm held down and the offender was using both his arms to hold him.

It''s a blatant cheat and should have been penalised.

I do take the point though that Ruddy should have been more aggresive in his reaction to this and should be prepared to deal with it as it must happen or be attempted regularly in professional football.

Nevertheless, it was a dirty foul and should have been penalised.Cheating Derby b@stards!

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]It looked to me from the video as if Ruddy was having his arm held down and the offender was using both his arms to hold him.

It''s a blatant cheat and should have been penalised.

I do take the point though that Ruddy should have been more aggresive in his reaction to this and should be prepared to deal with it as it must happen or be attempted regularly in professional football.

Nevertheless, it was a dirty foul and should have been penalised.Cheating Derby b@stards![/quote]

I''ve ranted on about this on the thread about banker games,

We don''t stand up for ourselves or fight our corner when we need to.

We are too nice.

Wow! Parma and Yankee, you''ve actually ''played'' the beautiful game then? Far too rough for me, so I can only go by what i saw on tv and you''re both infact right - if he just pulled his arm out he would''ve saved it, don''t know how i missed that! Also, looking through other games there is in fact a lot of pulling about going on - what an eye opener!! How long has this been going on?!!!!

Makes you wonder what''s going on if a professional, near-international, keeper doesn''t know this yet you two sat on the pinkun do - Either of you considered a place within the backroom staff?

Big question is, why do people cheat the game at all if it''s that simple to avoid? This really is a quandary, a right can of worms has been opened. But most importantly it''s good of you both to raise the issue that it''s the person who has been cheated who is the criminal, as they should''ve known better.

Right, enough of this - i''m off to go up the city and tug on people''s arms as they cross the road and then laugh at their stupidity if they get caught by a stray wing mirror, you''re welcome to yell ''Dur'' at them as they get to their feet. :-/

[quote user="Google Bot"]Wow! Parma and Yankee, you''ve actually ''played'' the beautiful game then? Far too rough for me, so I can only go by what i saw on tv and you''re both infact right - if he just pulled his arm out he would''ve saved it, don''t know how i missed that! Also, looking through other games there is in fact a lot of pulling about going on - what an eye opener!! How long has this been going on?!!!!

Makes you wonder what''s going on if a professional, near-international, keeper doesn''t know this yet you two sat on the pinkun do - Either of you considered a place within the backroom staff?

Big question is, why do people cheat the game at all if it''s that simple to avoid? This really is a quandary, a right can of worms has been opened. But most importantly it''s good of you both to raise the issue that it''s the person who has been cheated who is the criminal, as they should''ve known better.

Right, enough of this - i''m off to go up the city and tug on people''s arms as they cross the road and then laugh at their stupidity if they get caught by a stray wing mirror, you''re welcome to yell ''Dur'' at them as they get to their feet. :-/[/quote]

[:)] Can''t think of a better reply than that.   Professional sportsmen know if they''ve made a mistake or if they''ve been fouled and don''t need either macho stuff or sympathy - just a recognition by others of what actually happened - and to be able to learn from it. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Google Bot"]Wow! Parma and Yankee, you''ve actually ''played'' the beautiful game then? Far too rough for me, so I can only go by what i saw on tv and you''re both infact right - if he just pulled his arm out he would''ve saved it, don''t know how i missed that! Also, looking through other games there is in fact a lot of pulling about going on - what an eye opener!! How long has this been going on?!!!! Makes you wonder what''s going on if a professional, near-international, keeper doesn''t know this yet you two sat on the pinkun do - Either of you considered a place within the backroom staff? Big question is, why do people cheat the game at all if it''s that simple to avoid? This really is a quandary, a right can of worms has been opened. But most importantly it''s good of you both to raise the issue that it''s the person who has been cheated who is the criminal, as they should''ve known better. Right, enough of this - i''m off to go up the city and tug on people''s arms as they cross the road and then laugh at their stupidity if they get caught by a stray wing mirror, you''re welcome to yell ''Dur'' at them as they get to their feet. :-/[/quote]

[:)] Can''t think of a better reply than that.   Professional sportsmen know if they''ve made a mistake or if they''ve been fouled and don''t need either macho stuff or sympathy - just a recognition by others of what actually happened - and to be able to learn from it. 

[/quote]

Don''t stop there Lakey, you were doing so well.....with your last few words I actually thought you were going to say something revealing. What do you think John Ruddy will actually learn from it?

Canary World subscribers can use their log in details to get Rams Player which in their Extended Highlights clearly shows the Derby man holding Ruddy''s arm.

The entire match in two separate videos is also shown on Rams Player.

Whilst the live commentaries are appreciated. Do we Canaries fans get real value from our subscriptions