Sign in to follow this  

At the begining of jan who really thought that we could pick up 23 pts out of 30.that really is not so bad but people are still complainy I don''t get it???

Nobody is complaining about our midterm form, but we got to a point off the top and have tapered off in the last 4 games. We now need to find a second wind and win pretty much every game from here on in.

There are two distinct sides to this issue. The run that we have been on post AN has been fantastic and there has to be lots of optimism for the future. among these has been the odd disappointment but it is unrealistic to expect everything your own way all of the time. The away form in particular has been title winning all wins and 2 draws. The home form all season has let us down and even post AN the loss to Wigan will be the big result that really hurts and disappoints us. Brentford deserved their win and took advantage of an injured Norwich midfield.

The big disappointment without trawling up the past is that with this squad correctly managed from the off we should have been clear front runners but the gaffs of the board over the last 2 seasons have been well discussed and documented .

I still think 84 points will get second place this season but fancy us to finish a frustrating 3rd. We need 17 pts from a possible 24 to hit this target and after a fantastic run have only taken 5 from the last 12 so the stats do not look good when the top 3 are doing so well albeit having to play each other

I think people just realise that we''ve done so well to turn around the damage Adams did, only to draw two winnable games. (Derby we should''ve won, Huddersfield we needed to do more to win it). We made it hard for ourselves after making it quite say having only been 1 point behind a few games ago.

The seven wins out of eight was a fantastic achievement but was always going to come to an end.  To carry on with that form for the rest of the season would have been great, but unlikely.  What we have done is put ourselves in the frame - and that extra pressure will tell on us - but just the act we are up there challenging will put pressure on the teams above us.  So imo the rest of the season will be a mish mash of results - not just for us but those above us as the closeness makes things difficult for everyone.   Getting back to winning ways though is important and very important that we win the next match - to keep the pressure on Derby, Watford and Middsbro. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think people just realise that we''ve done so well to turn around the damage Adams did, only to draw two winnable games. (Derby we should''ve won, Huddersfield we needed to do more to win it). We made it hard for ourselves after making it quite say having only been 1 point behind a few games ago.[/quote]

I don''t think it''s fair to use the term ''damage'', we we''re 7th when Adams resigned.

Adams did no damage Miggo. Just like your other whipping boy Whittaker did no damage. Just won us points.

Adams left the club in good shape. If you don''t think that then ask yourself if Alex Neil could have gone into Cardiff or Fulham in January and done the same thing....

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think people just realise that we''ve done so well to turn around the damage Adams did, only to draw two winnable games. (Derby we should''ve won, Huddersfield we needed to do more to win it). We made it hard for ourselves after making it quite say having only been 1 point behind a few games ago.[/quote]

I don''t think it''s fair to use the term ''damage'', we we''re 7th when Adams resigned.

[/quote]Is 7th good enough then?

[quote user="canary_1902"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Is 7th good enough then?
[/quote]

No, but it''s unfair the describe the job that Adams did as ''damage''.

The ''damage'' was done in October/November. Neil Adams did a decent job for us but that run speaks for itself and I don''t believe it would''ve happened had AN been in charge.

As soon as you start playing well and winning games people expect that to continue or get better.

I still remember one home game under Lambert, we were winning 4 or 5-0 with about 15 mins to go and someone who sits behind me was genuinely moaning that we had taken our foot of the pedal and stopped going for it. It wasn''t at all tongue in cheek. Just how?

23 points out of 30 is fantastic. We''ve played some very decent football, but I think the high intensity play has also shown some side effects in other games with players clearly putting in a lot of effort and not being able to keep that up all game every game, and say against Wigan we just weren''t able to push on and work out how to break them down. If that had been a game a month ago we''d have come back from 1-0 and won.

Even if we don''t go up, we have a whole season of what we''ve seen since Alex Neil came in. And i''m pretty sure we''d win the league next season.

Phelan''s impact clearly improved the situation but, in my view at least, the partnership never looked like one made in heaven. I''d be surprised if any of our fans truly believed we''d be in the shout for a playoff place had Adams remained in charge.

If people think 7 place and 11 points off is good enough then you''ll all be happy if we don''t get promoted. I know people like Shyster are happy stuck in their old ways of little old Norwich (reference to his ''politics'') but time and time again we''ve been reminded by everyone (not only people associated with the club, but also pundits and managers as well) how we''ve got the best squad in the division having not sold our players, yet buying quality. To me 7th is nowhere near good enough and am glad the board agreed with this and got rid of Adams in time so that we could stand a chance of getting in the top two....oh yes, I forgot, he ''resigned'' didn''t he.

Did you really forget Miggo. Well I''ll jog your memory a bit more. It was the board that hunted far and wide to appoint Adams who they said was the best man for the job. Adams resigned. The board then appointed Neil. Presumably because he was the only other manager who''d pick Whittaker every week for right back....

The teams above us have got to some really hard games whereas we''ve only got Forrest and Boro. Therefore the teams above us will drop points, it''s up to Neil and the team to pull their socks up for the last phase of the season and go on another winning run. They CAN do it, whether they will or not is a different matter, but I think we can all agree, so far Neil has done a wonderful job, I hope it''s not all for nothing.

"I still remember one home game under Lambert, we were winning 4 or 5-0 with about 15 mins to go and someone who sits behind me was genuinely moaning that we had taken our foot of the pedal and stopped going for it. It wasn''t at all tongue in cheek. Just how?"

To be frustrated by it might be going too far but then again if Norwich could score another 2 in 15 mins, then that could be nice. A bit like Germany vs Brazil in the world cup

[quote user="mrs miggins"]The teams above us have got to some really hard games whereas we''ve only got Forrest and Boro. Therefore the teams above us will drop points, it''s up to Neil and the team to pull their socks up for the last phase of the season and go on another winning run. They CAN do it, whether they will or not is a different matter, but I think we can all agree, so far Neil has done a wonderful job, I hope it''s not all for nothing.[/quote]

In many ways, I''d rather we were playing the teams around us, we''ve struggled all season against the likes of Charlton, Fulham (obviously), Wigan, Reading etc, yet had excellent results against Watford, Bournemouth, Ipswich. Of the 8 games remaining, I can see 5 wins and a total of 84 points, and I''m not sure that will be enough to go up automatically.

If we don''t go up, I''m equally not convinced that next season''s team would look anything like this team. We''d lose Ruddy, Olsson, Tettey, Redmond, Hooper for sure and possibly Bassong, Johnson, Vadis, Dorrans (who might not stay anyway).  For a new team without those names to challenge like we have this year would be a huge achievement.