Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Get over yourselves for god's sake!

I can''t believe some of you people i really can''t. I hardly come on here any more and i can see why now. 1 game, ONE GAME into the season and most of you are moaning and groaning like a bunch of manure fans. We have a lot of new players, some injuries, a new look back line a new look midfield, neither of which are neccessarily going to be the shape of the team over the season. A lot of them don''t even know each other properly yet, they will need time to bed in. Don''t you see why Worthy asked for patience from the fans?

Delia says we''re the best fans, why not show it then instead of falling into the stereotype of moaning, groaning, never-happy-unless-we''re-top-of-the-league fan?

Some of you all sound like Craig off big brother - god i hope he''s not a city fan!

That''s the point of a forum like this though isn''t it? To analyse and discuss stuff, the positives and the negatives. It''s just that the negatives seem to get people more worked up. I think that there were positives from yesterday though, like the performance of Marney, MLJ and the continued brilliance of Hucks and Asthon... and of course, that it was only the first game!

[quote]I can''t believe some of you people i really can''t. I hardly come on here any more and i can see why now. 1 game, ONE GAME into the season and most of you are moaning and groaning like a bunch of manur...[/quote]

Absolutely right. 

Sorry this first game thing doesn''t wash. As the saying goes, you should start as you mean to go on. There was no midfield yesterday and that is quite worrying and just highlights the weakness of the quad if we have to play Charlton there. The same thing was apparant last season where we couldn''t retain posession and put immense pressure on the defence.

Francis needs to be replaced and fast as I can''t see many goals coming from midfield this season. As for the club saying they have the best fans, that may be but fans will only put up with so much and can no longer be expected to be just ''little old Norwich'' when it comes to spending money on players.

Yes ncfc4prem, but sometimes these things happen don''t they?

Surely you haven''t forgotten getting thumped 4-0 by Millwall, then beating Man City the next week and going on to the play-off final? Our players need to gel - it will take time, but hopefully not too long.

And don''t forget where Crystal Palace were at Christmas 2003. Nearer the bottom than the top of the division, I seem to remember.

It will definitely take a while for the midfield to settle. Huckerby was the only midfielder on saturday to have played there last season. We can''t expect to field two new signings and a left back in midfield and it to gel straight away! I do wonder at the wisdom of getting rid of Holt, Mulryne and Francis! Perhaps holding onto one would have been a good plan! I don''t think we''re going to see much of Safri this season so that just leaves Hughes and Jarrett. Jarrett looked good against Inter but he is injury prone! I think we need to spend some of the Francis money on real quality!

I haven''t forgotten the 4-0 defeat at Millwall etc but that was 4 years ago with a far weaker team. Things have moved on a great deal since then and with that comes greater expectation. I certainly don''t expect us to walk the league but I would expect us to have a bit of quality in our play. There was none of that yesterday but I''m hopeful the Francis money will be spent before Aug 31st. It certainly needs to be.

i agree the way we played on sat was not good enough and i did not boo. i would like worthy to think ok that did not work and play shackell and colin as centre halfs and charlton and jason jarrett in the centre of mid-field.i thought charlton was my man of the match nice to see someone in the middle of the park who did not give the ball away. i know it is only one game but hughes just kicked it away to anyone not inpressed.i know the side will be short of experience but lets not forget crewe are a young side.

anyone agree with me?

[quote]i agree the way we played on sat was not good enough and i did not boo. i would like worthy to think ok that did not work and play shackell and colin as centre halfs and charlton and jason jarrett in ...[/quote]

I agree that Shackell should start at centre back but I don''t agree with playing Colin there! I don''t see how people can be calling for Colin to play at CB already when we haven''t even seen him play at right back (except 45 mins against Inter) which is his favoured position! I think we need to try and stick with players in their favoured positions. I''m all for trying Colin in the team but lets try him in his best position!!!

I don''t think it does to be too pessimistic after just one game but there were some worrying themes to emerge:

1) Lack of sqaud depth. We have 2 injuries in the midfield and we''re having to resort to playing a centre half in the centre. That''s not good at all. Suggests the squad is very very thin in places

2) Nige''s selection of Doherty. Was it Shackell''s mumps keeping him out? or was it Nige making another "interesting" squad selection? I don''t know, but the defence looked poor, and that''s an ominous sign.

3) Again, the total inability to alter the team either tactically or with a substitution, given that we were largely under the kosh during the 2nd half until Coventry scored. Then bringing people on for 5 minutes.

There were positive things too - I appear to be in a minority as I quite liked Hughes (He was covering so many holes, because he was playing with Charlton, he really was given a herculean task), Marney can cross a ball and is combative, and erm... I had a kit kat at half time which was nice. But overall Saturday exposed quite a few weaknesses that need dealing with.

I also don''t buy comparisons to the championship season, yes in our first game there we gifted away a 2 goal lead and drew at Bradford, but a quarter of the way through that season, we improved the team beyond measure via the loans and signing of Huckerby. That''s not going to happen this year. And as for 4-0''s at Millwall, we really shouldn''t be in a position where we''re looking to emulate that season and squeak into the playoffs by one goal.