Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Johnson's "handball"

Ricky,

You asked for us to; "Remember that and give them some serious abuse if they ever officiate at CR."

Got to say, I fail to see how that will help our cause?

Perhaps better to welcome with open arms and say we understand the difficulties of being a ref and know it is a thankless task, but we appreciate all you guys do.

Maybe, just maybe we might get a decsion or two go our way?

I can recall one or two dodgy decisions going for us this year, maybe three, but I can also recall countless decisions going against us. Things do not even themselves out over the course of a season or even 10. As an unfashionable club, that has often employed mild mannered managers we''re seen as an easy target for officials to have a bit of fun with and to get some TV exposure. I watch a lot of football, an unhealthy amount to be honest and taking my yellow and green specks off I''ve never known a team to be on the wrong end of as many dodgy decisions as us, it''s absolutely farcical!

Whether it''s because ref''s know they won''t suffer any reprocussions for cheating us, they don''t like traveling all the way to Norfolk, they enjoy helping the underdogs or in the Prem don''t want to suffer more established name managers wrath there is something very wrong with how we''ve been treated by officials for a very long time and I''m utterly sick of it! I pay to watch two teams compete, not to watch some weak minded, self important insufferable, egotistical failed footballer with all manner of insecurity issues try to affect a game as they see fit because they think they''re part of the matchday experience!

Ricky, while you say you are taking your yellow and green specs off.....you don''t really mean that. None of us do. It''s virtually impossible to be objective regarding our own team. I watch a lot of football too and see many calls go the wrong way. However, in the grand scheme of things it''s probably a very small percentage, and needs to be. If we wanted to offer objective input on whether there was unfairness going on over the course of a season we would need to watch all ( or a goodly number ) games of a neutral team and make an assessment. Even then, we are not as well equipped as the officials to make the calls.

Ray is correct in his remarks. The smart way is to respect the officials and not "get on their case" at every call that goes against us.

Watch any of the season highlights from our PL seasons and then tell me the dubious decisions evened out in any of them; take this as your evidence if you like. It is far from looking at things just from our perspective and forgetting the things that have gone our way - I remember at the time a league ref commenting on the line of poor decisions that we were getting against us.

But at the end of the day it is what it is, decisions are made good and bad, you have to hope they are in good faith and we just have to put up with them; as in cricket, they say look in the scorebook: that''s the only record that matters.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Watch any of the season highlights from our PL seasons and then tell me the dubious decisions evened out in any of them; take this as your evidence if you like. [/quote]

Unfortunately that''s not enough.

Yes, we may not have had the rub of the green in our PL seasons but, like I said, these things even themselves out over time even if that''s decades. You can''t just take one season or even several seasons together as a package. Thats cherry-picking.

The '' evidence '' if you like goes right back to 1902 when the Club was formed so of course there''s no way of proving it one way or the other.

I still think it evens itself out in the end.

Jeez, those goalposts have moved some if we''re now talking about decisions made over a 100+ year period! You would like to think it were the case that things even out, but given how the last few seasons have been we must be in an era where we are making up for several decades in which a heck of lot must have gone our way!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Watch any of the season highlights from our PL seasons and then tell me the dubious decisions evened out in any of them; take this as your evidence if you like. It is far from looking at things just from our perspective and forgetting the things that have gone our way - I remember at the time a league ref commenting on the line of poor decisions that we were getting against us.

But at the end of the day it is what it is, decisions are made good and bad, you have to hope they are in good faith and we just have to put up with them; as in cricket, they say look in the scorebook: that''s the only record that matters.[/quote]
Highlights are, by their very nature, cherry-picked. Who compiles these highlights? Are they really going to pick all the moments that illustrate where incorrect decisions favoured us? To get a more accurate perception you would have to watch every minute of every match, then compare it with every minute of every other match played that season to see whether we suffer from them more than other teams. And even then it would still just be your, inevitably biased, perception.

Yankee

I understand what you mean, but I don''t let my love of NCFC cloud my judgement. I believe I''m fully capable of looking at things objectively, I''ve slated and praised our team and clubs decisions in rougly equal measure over the years and I fervently believe we''ve been very unfairly treated by officials over the years. For example I''ve also noticed Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs and Chelsea get way more than they deserve but Arsenal and Everton are regularly screwed by officials by comparison. It appears a select few clubs are favoured and some are regularly derided. I can''t explain why beyond my flimsy ramblings in my last post but there is favouritism amoungst the ref''s and some clubs (like us) seem to constantly be on the wrong end of decisions.

I''ve noted that a few clubs, including us, just inexplicably never get the rub of the green. There has to be more to it than bad luck. My uninformed guess is that the authorities don''t want us in the PL because CR is a pain in the arse to get to and as we''re a sensible, well run club, we don''t generate much media attention and therefore don''t make much money for the media

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]..... You would like to think it were the case that things even out, but given how the last few seasons have been we must be in an era where we are making up for several decades in which a heck of lot must have gone our way![/quote]

Exactly.

No, not really:- highlights show key moments such as penalty decisions given or otherwise, goals given or disallowed, which are the moments we''re talking about. If you watch any of our PL DVDs I feel you may be surprised.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Webbo118"]That old chestnut - "things even themselves out". ..... It is a fallacy and there is no evidence for the statement. [/quote]

Fallacy ?

Recent decisions that went our way : Handball in the build-up to our second goal at Derby. Wes''s dive at Watford

Decisions that didn''t : Foul on Ruddy last weekend. Johnson''s disallowed goal on Tue.

Obviously there may be a long sequence of good or bad decisions but I''ll bet they do even themselves out in the end.[/quote]

Bottom line is you have no evidence for the statement. It is just what you think after hearing numerous other people spouting the same thing. Sheep mentality.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Tim Dawson"]Video evidence my ar5e its not allowed its not rugby, and that 4th official must have bl00dy good eyesight, they bowed to pressure from players and the crowd so stop spouting rubbish, some of you idiots on here are beyond belief !!![/quote]

Have to agree with you Tom.  Even if a fourth official had a brilliant view on a monitor - which I doubt, as there has been no video angle I''ve seen that is conclusive - then there are no rules that allow him to use that as a help to influence decisions.   Handball it probably was, but the decision making process was completely wrong.  The right outcome maybe, but there are no reasons that any other official than the ref or the linesman(woman) that the decision could or should have been changed.    Crowd influence, player intimidating, maybe the fourth official saw it clearly in real life from the half way line, who knows, but an explanation of the decision  and how it was made would have been interesting.

[/quote]

I''m afraid you need to wake up and enter the real world. Whether there are rules to allow it or not, fourth officials are using monitors to watch certain incidents and relaying information to the referee. How many times have we been told "he is taking a lot of time to consider the decision?". That is because he is waiting for his mate on the touchline to tell him what to do. If you really believe this doesn''t happen you are extremely naïve.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Video evidence my ar5e its not allowed its not rugby, and that 4th official must have bl00dy good eyesight, they bowed to pressure from players and the crowd so stop spouting rubbish, some of you idiots on here are beyond belief !!![/quote]

It really is rich in the extreme - you calling other people idiots !!

So many in the Prem refs favour the big teams and in the Championship refs favour the small teams?

Confirmation bias at work.