Move Klose

Changes For Forest

Ruddy

Whittaker Bennett Bassong Olsson

Redmond Tettey Dorrans Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Rudd Martin Howson Vadis Andreu Hooper Loza

Hmmm - if you are changing the defence (that has recently been pretty decent up to last night), IMO it would be by bringing RB back and switching RM for Whitts. Otherwise, I''d go for the formation and personnel that played Derby.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Think martin has been poor last 2 games. Think Whittakers done ok as of late.[/quote]I agree with this.I love Martin, but his form pretty much since the new year has not been great.On the contrary, since the infamous Brentford game - where is was discovered that Whittaker is not a midfielder - I think Whittaker''s actually been one of our better players.

By my calculations since the New Year RM has played 12 games at CB and Whitts 12 at RB and in those games we have conceded 9 goals and that includes last night, when it appears most of the team weren''t up to their ''normal'' standard. That is 0.75 goals per game or 34.50 for a full season (there is only one team with less goals conceded than 34.50 now, Middlesborough) as far as I am concerned that''s pretty damn good and I think the pairing of RM and SB has played a big part in our recent success.

Perhaps we should look at how often we miss so called ''sitters'' rather than criticise the defence. We all know defensive errors can cost us dear and strikers seem to be lambasted less for their errors but if we could tot up the number of defensive errors, by our defense, and compare that with the number of errors by our attackers, I suspect the defence would win hands down.

This is almost impossible to do of course, is a defender palying an attacker onside equal to an attacker being caught offside, it all depends on individual circumstances, is a miss hit shot on goal as bad as a miss timed clearance which goes directly to a strker who scores, again individual circumstnce, but IMO our defence is doing OK with the odd error yet on quite a few occasions I''ve buried my head in my hands at a chance gone begging.

CJRV - You have Dorrans in the team ahead of Howson. As these 2 players are the closest in terms playing style - can you explain the reason for your decision ?

I know you have always championed Dorrans regardless of performance and I''m not interested in form - because both have similar form at the moment so it''s not a case of Dorrans having a better game against Huddersfield than Howson.

What I am particularly interested in is what you perceive as the difference between the two players. Are you able to break down what you think the difference in skills that separates them and places Dorrans in front of Howson ?

I really rate Howson in fact one of my favourite just think hes been pretty ineffective in last few games. Maybe a game out will do him some good. Just my opinion.

Quite agree with Ray - I''d personally be inclined to leave the defence alone. Hudd''s second came when we were clearly pushing for a winner, and whilst losing defensive shape isn''t necessarily ''acceptable'', it does happen to all sides when chasing the game

I would agree with that CJRV.

Howson hasn''t been influencing the game and putting his stamp on the games as much as he can. Perhaps he needs a rest or a kick. Dorrans on the other hand has looked classy in the last 2 games and if pushed further up the field with Tettey back, could make an impact. Hoolahan is hard to leave out in his current form. He has an urgency and creativity in his game that we miss when he is not there. Redmond had a good game, so hopefully he can continue to play that way.

The only question mark for me would be whether Bennett is 100% ready and better than an under performing / not quite good enough Martin. AN needs to decide between Bennett, Cuellar and Martin. There isn''t much in it, but if Bennett is fit, I would be inclined to pick him ahead of the other two. The arm band should go to Dorrans, Johnson or Bassong.

We have to win at all costs.

It''s a puzzle to me why Odjidja hasn''t played in the U21 games and yet until last night he hadn''t been given a place on the bench. If he isn''t being used at all why doesn''t he play for the U21s? Surely he needs match play. Hopefully we will see what he can do from the bench before too long.

----------------------------Ruddy----------------------------------

---Whits--------Martin----------Bassong----------Ollson---

------------------Tettey----------Dorrans-----------------------

-----Redmond----------Hooper-----------Hoolahan---------

---------------------------Jerome----------------------------------

I think Johnson could possibly do with a rest- had a

relatively quiet game against Derby and apparently poor last night. He’s also

on the brink of suspension so may want to hold him back.

To play the above we’d need 2 disciplined midfielders to

counter balance the front 4 who aren’t going to be the most useful defensively!

Tettey is one and I see Dorrans being the best option from those available. He

was deployed in a holding role alone last night when we were chasing the game

and it’s obviously, whilst not being his ideal position, a role where he can do

a decent enough job.

I really think we are yet to see the best of Hooper and, as

previously pointed out, he is usually complimented greatly by Hoolahan’s

presence alongside him.

Redmond was our main threat last night and he hasn’t had a

start for a while so I would like to see him on the right please!

Players must be picked who are playing well.  If Johnson didn''t do well last night, maybe he should make way - Dorrans can play on the left, as can Redmond.   What I do hope is that Tettey returns as a strict single defensive midfielder and not as a conventional midfield  two with Dorrans as appeared to be the case against Derby.    I really think in a disciplined role like that there is no-one better at our club and we look much better defensively as well as going forward with him there, as it frees up other players to get forwards.                   RuddyWhittaker Martin Bassong Ollson                  TetteyRedmond  Howson Wes  Dorrans                   Jerome

Whittaker has performed solidly and done nothing to warrant being dropped. 

The case against Martin is stronger,   but, for me,  overall not enough to drop him.   Interesting to see that Bennett is seen as the alternative;   IF a CB change is made I can only think the preference will be for cuellar - and that would be my preference too.   Bring back the rested Wessi for hooper.   I would also bring back Tettey,   but am unsure whether to drop redmond (played well last night), Howson (quiet in the last couple of games) or BJ (subbed after an below par performance).   

I think my preference is 

Ruddy

Whittaker      Martin   Bassong   Olsson

Tettey

Redmond       Howson    Wessi        Dorrans    

Jerome  

4-3-2-1

GK. Ruddy

LB. Olsson

CB. Bennett

CB. Bassong

RB. Martin

LM. Johnson

CM. Tettey

RM. Redmond

AM. Hoolahan

AM. Hooper

ST. Jerome

---------------Ruddy------------

Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson

---------------Tettey----------------

-----Howson--------Johnson

Redmond---------------Hoolahan

-------------Jerome------------

I don''t want to see a 442 again, it doesn''t work anymore and having two strikers playing is not more attacking(!!!!!!) Forest under Freedman are going to come to attack, that team should have the pace and power to counter well while still having Wes in the side to try to unlock them when we''re building play. I so wish we had Grabban though, his movement and work rate opens up so much space! I genuinely think that injury could''ve cost us the auto''s this year

The way things stand and with the lack of imagination and daring that so many managers seem to lack these days, I''d go with a 3-5-2 including fresh blood with something to prove:

Ruddy - gk

Russell Martin- (would''ve been Turner) - rcb

Bassong - cb

Miquel - lcb

Tettey - dmr

Johnson - dml

Dorrans - wbr

Olsson - wbl

Hoolahan - ofm

Jerome - f

Hooper - f

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Whittaker has performed solidly and done nothing to warrant being dropped. 

The case against Martin is stronger,   but, for me,  overall not enough to drop him.   Interesting to see that Bennett is seen as the alternative;   IF a CB change is made I can only think the preference will be for cuellar - and that would be my preference too.   Bring back the rested Wessi for hooper.   I would also bring back Tettey,   but am unsure whether to drop redmond (played well last night), Howson (quiet in the last couple of games) or BJ (subbed after an below par performance).   

I think my preference is 

Ruddy

Whittaker      Martin   Bassong   Olsson

Tettey

Redmond       Howson    Wessi        Dorrans    

Jerome  

[/quote]

Think I have to agree with everything you''ve said there, ZLF.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Is that the same Miquel who hasn''t played for us all season? And you''d want him to be exposed in a back 3.[/quote]

Better than that Miggins, in fact Miquel played at Preston and was awful, he could not do simple things like find a yellow shirt he had no positional sense and could not trap / control a ball, the whole team were poor that day, he was awful !

This is a fairly defensive formation with the option of bringing Hoolahan on for Dorrans or Jonno later on. Forest beat Rotherham in midweek and will have their eye on the playoffs, so we should outfox them by sitting back and looking to exploit any holes. They''ll be hoping to hit us on the break or get past us if we press too high.When unable to attack we should look to keep possession and be patient. We want to avoid trying to break down a compressed midfield and defence should they sit back, because eventually they''ll have to come forward. Knock it round the midfield and defence with the express intent to tease them out.Wes can come on later as he''s not best suited to the gameplan we ought to be starting with. Only one striker is required.                  RuddyWhitts  Martin  Bassong  Olsson                  TetteyRedders Howson Jonno Dorrans                 Jerome

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Not starting Hoolahan at home. You having a laugh ???[/quote]Lose the game and we''re almost certainly limited to the playoffs. If Forest lose the game then their season is virtually over. Hence we need to be ultra tight and frustrate Forest which won''t suit Hoolahan. He often tires late in a game, so we want to save some ammo for later on.

My team would be
 ------------------- Ruddy---------------
------Whitts  Martin  Bassong  Olsson----
 --------------------Tettey------------------                
 ------   Johnson -- Howson -- Dorrans-------
----------------------Wessie----------------                 
---------------------Jerome------------------- 

[quote user="cityangel"]
My team would be
 ------------------- Ruddy---------------
------Whitts  Martin  Bassong  Olsson----
 --------------------Tettey------------------                
 ------   Johnson -- Howson -- Dorrans-------
----------------------Wessie----------------                 
---------------------Jerome------------------- 

[/quote]

I like that team, an on form Redmond offers a real threat going forward though.  As others have said, Forest will see it as a season-defining game, if they win, they''ll still have an eye on playoffs (at our or Ipswich''s expense), if we win, we keep our eyes looking upwards at the top 2.  Forest are a good team, who are on form, so we need to be tight but positive.  A performance like the Wolves home game would be excellent.  As a home season ticket holder, that''s the best I''ve seen us play this season against one of the better teams in this division.

CJRV 2014 response to 93vintage original lineup

Not starting Hoolahan at home. You having a laugh ???

93vintage wrote:

Lose the game and we''re almost certainly limited to the playoffs. If Forest lose the game then their season is virtually over. Hence we need to be ultra tight and frustrate Forest which won''t suit Hoolahan.

......................................................................................

Who are you ? - Frank Spencer !

Frank Spencer''s GRAND FINALE - bring Hoolahan on after we are chasing the game and the opposition has the momentum.

Surely Wigan & Huddersfield should have taught you something ??!!

[quote user="Six Pack"]Surely Wigan & Huddersfield should have taught you something ??!![/quote]Yes, those sorts of disappointing results seem to encourage complete bell ends like you into taking a break from Football Manager in order to post on here.