Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

New season, different league, same rubbish

I''d love to disagree but you''re spot on, I know it''s only the first game but the midfield was as shocking as it was for the majority of last season and if you can''t control a midfield then you won''t win anything

Worthy spouting the same script on the radio again. Hard working. Good performance. Good passing...where was that then?

We need to beat teams like these, especially at home. As I''ve mentioned on another message board, 2 seasons ago Carrow Road was a fortress - remember the 100% record going into November? I know we got a point, but it feels like a loss - Coventry dominated for long periods - I guess that just shows the expectation levels.

And ncfc4prem, I agree - the way I see it, we have no midfield, and playing a defender in there just shows desperation and incompetance.

What I witnessed this afternoon was verging on depressing

A complete lack of quality in midfield plus alack of service to Hucks left us huffing and puffing and playing the game that Coventry wanted us to play.

As for the substitutions, I give up.  Why not Brennan on on the left, and move Hucks to the right and keep waht width we did have so that we at least had an opportunity to break them down.

Oh, I nearly forgot the masterstroke of bringing a player on with 4 minutes to go

Socks need pulling up on the pitch after today''s performance.  Apart from Ashton''s goal, McKenzie''s near miss and a couple of hits on the bar, no other shots were made.  Midfield is a shambles and why the hell is Doherty in over Shackell?

Midfield was always going to be a problem , we have just sold the best one we had and dont feel the need to replace him. Time for  Worthy to spend some of that money we were supposed to be re-investing  in the team or its going to be a long season, £500,000 on Hughes and £263,000 on Colin is just not good enough if we are serious about going up.

[quote]Socks need pulling up on the pitch after today''s performance. Apart from Ashton''s goal, McKenzie''s near miss and a couple of hits on the bar, no other shots were made. Midfield is a shambles and why...[/quote]

Time to ditch Flem IMO and try Doc/Shacks or Colin/Shacks in defence on Tuesday night.

But of course, we know this won''t happen.

[quote]Hmmm. First match''s are always strange. I feel a long, hard season ahead of us. We ain''t gunna walk it.[/quote]

I think the above quote by "shrub" says it all! this is going to be a very long and hard worked season, and any one who things otherwise should go and support chelsea.

There are going to be results like todays all through the season, and once again the reliance on hucks and ashton is eventually going to take its tall.

One down FORTY FIVE to go!!!!!! 

One wrong result and here they go!. Its a marathon not a sprint this league, as you scurvy dogs should know all too well.

I''m all for Captain Worthy and his gallant crew, and he''s premiership bound I tell ye, the man has a keen eye for the fight and we must back him.......to the hilt.

And I''ll keelhaul the next swab who puts him down!.

Savvy?.

First half we looked pretty good.  I thought we got going ok, something we certainly didn''t do last year.  However, we weren''t clinical enough.  We should''ve had the game sown up by half time.  It''s too hard to judge after just one game

It''s the first game of the season and we played 5 or 6 new signings.

It''s going to take time for the team to gel thats why there was no real cohesion, give it time, with a few more games under their belt the performances will begin to pick up!!

I agree Deano,

In this league there will always be dodgy results (witness Palace yesterday).  Given we played with a defender and 2 new boys in midfield the result is not entirely unexpected.  Now I know there should be arguments to cover this (more midfielders, earlier signings etc etc) this is bad luck.  Arguably our first choice central pair were injured and another potential candidate was sold a couple of days ago.  We will improve and adapt and be up there...(insert cheesy "one swallow doesn''t make a summer" type line as desired) 

[quote]Time to ditch Flem IMO and try Doc/Shacks or Colin/Shacks in defence on Tuesday night. But of course, we know this won''t happen.[/quote]

So, Flemmo was the problem was he?  Were you at the game?  If you were, you would not be having a go at Flemmo, but would realise what a truly awful player Doherty is.

I think there were some very valid points made there.

Personally I think that this might be a very good result for us.
It''s handed us all a very timely reminder that this league is far from easy, and the players are going to have to try and avoid being overconfident.
Luckily we''ve still got 45 games left to get it right.

The team is far from the finished article and many of the problems we''ve had for years are still there.
The main problem in my opinion is the lack of a creative midfielder. I hope Jarret can be the man to spray the ball around and get us passing, but I really think we need to buy a proven playmaker.

We''ve got the necessary cash, so come on Worthy, find the right man for the job.

I think a lot of arrogance on this board with sign off''s like ''NCFC Champions 05/06'' will come back to haunt so many people.  Lots of fans on here have been saying how we will walk this league with an apparent disrespect to all the other clubs who apparently were just going to fall apart when they played us.  Today showed that this is not going to happen.  There are not many teams that go straight back up after being relegated.  Yes we have a good forward line but that is only one third of the pitch covered with the midfield and defence having also to do their bit.  A long hard season is ahead of us and I for one have not been taking it for granted that we will walk this league.  There are a lot of other teams who will beg to differ. 

Yep, we''re doomed.

Two points lost and only 135 points left to play for.

And let''s face it, things never change from the first day of the season, like when we lost 4-0 to Millwall in ''01 and ended up getting to the play-off final...

come on people get a grip,lets try taking some positives from today,we have a point on the board,and are unbeaten at home. im sure against crewe things will start to click into gear and we will have another three!! cant believe shacks didnt play,worthy seems to forget he was our best defender last season.on tuesday we should get behind them from minute one,this may stop the lads being so nervous to begin with.althouth i find it amazing worthy says he is totally happy with the squad,we should definately spend some damo cash on a central defender.come on you yelluz.

The management have not learnt much from last season have they. Same old rubbish, same useless midfield, same unfathomable team selection and use of subs. Surely its time the coaching staff and Worthington were told to get it right or else. 

Well negative Nigel has told the fans this was the wake up call it won''t be easy this season. Well with Worthington in charge it won''t be easy;where was Shackell our best defender at the end of last season, why play Huckerby wide on the left when he so much more effective playing through the middle, why are we so predictable - high ball to Ashton, why do we only play two midfielders Huckerby is not a midfielder. If Jarret is not fully fit why only give him four minutes surely he is more likely to damage his hamstring again with such a short run out.

We are in desperate need of new ideas in the coaching department if we are to make progress. I was totally dejected leaving the ground today oh any comments on the referee perhaps the worst we have seen.

Worthy''s been saying all week that teams will come here this season to defend for a point, and that''s what happened today. Credit has to be given to Coventry, but we played EXACTLY the way they wanted, hoofing aimless long balls up front and comitting silly fouls. Every home match will be like this and we need a bit of creativity and to get the ball down and pass it to break teams down. 

Agreed Deano. We drew 1-1 (I think?) with Coventry at home in our title winning season, who says this game is a disaster? If we dont beat crewe then maybe!

Its not as if any of our main rivals for this season won (Although Leeds look as though they going to take the 3 points)

What does baffle me is we agreed to swap the games over so we didnt have to play the game in a neutral stadium. Surely one home and one neutral is better than one home and one away? Is it just a case of us being too nice again? Or am I just annoyed that I had made plans for this weekend and had to miss the game as I thought we would be away! BAH!

The season is a marathon not a sprint, but the first game was very disappointing. At least we know the central pairing will chnage when jarrett & safri are fit.

However, there is no excuse for the defence who look awful. Where is the Shack? Where is the love?

Worthy: sort your substitutions out - they''re dreadful.

Roll on tuesday so we can get a win - ashton must score past his old club.

[quote]So, Flemmo was the problem was he? Were you at the game? If you were, you would not be having a go at Flemmo, but would realise what a truly awful player Doherty is.[/quote]

From where I was sitting, Flemming was just as bad as Doc. Complete lack of awareness and was constantly caught out of posession. Both were extremely poor. I''m assuming that''s why Charlton decided to go and play in defence with them...

[quote]So, Flemmo was the problem was he? Were you at the game? If you were, you would not be having a go at Flemmo, but would realise what a truly awful player Doherty is.[/quote]

I take it you are Flem or something? As I can''t see any other possible reason for sticking up for him all the time.

I didn''t have to be at the game yesterday to know that our defence sounded shoddy. I also never said Doherty was a brilliant player. Fleming has done well for this club and served us well but a time has to come when the management should consider other options - he was given 38 games last year in which he did nothing to prove he is upto it - so that time is NOW. Preferably before Tuesday''s game.

Watch Flem play all 46 games this season then resurrect this thread in May to say it was "not flemmo''s fault"

Dicky, I love the way you respond to the knee-jerk, blinkered Flem-haters with some knee-jerk, blinkered Doc-hating.

Two wrongs don''t make a right!

Flem has had 39 consecutive competitive games to get his positioning and tackling right, the Doc has only had a handful. No, he has NOT played particularly well, but give him a bit more time. I am sure he will turn out to be a valuable player for us.

[quote]Dicky, I love the way you respond to the knee-jerk, blinkered Flem-haters with some knee-jerk, blinkered Doc-hating. Two wrongs don''t make a right! Flem has had 39 consecutive competitive games to g...[/quote]

Sorry, but Doherty is awful.  How many fowls did he give away in dangerous areas?  Spurs fans we bumped into at Victoria before the Fulham game told us he is the worst player they have witnessed in a Spurs shirt (and there has been some stiff competition).

By the way "Ginger Pele" is a p!ss take, in case you had not realised.

Didn''t go to the game, so I can''t comment. But I know a few Spurs fans, and the more intelligent ones told me not to believe all the nonsense about Doc, that he was awesome for them for a while, and had the makings of a quality defender.

He definitely needs to improve, but don''t all our players?

I am just aware that careers can be made or broken by the way the fans treat the players - if Doherty has the makings of a great player, let''s allow him to do that here rather than ship him out and replace him with someone who may struggle too.