Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Congrats to Alex Neil

We needed a manager and a manager is what we got. He''s been a revelation since he''s been here. We were 11 points off the automatics, we''re now 2. Hopefully he can continue to pull us over the line.

Today was just an example of how he''s managed to turn us around.

Neil has obviously done his homework on an in-form Forest. They counter attack with pace and power; they have had little possession since Freedman has taken control of the club, yet have won so many games recently countering the opposition; today tactically was no different from them.

Whereas before, we''d have all our midfield moving up together, getting caught on the counter with sloppy goals at home. Neil uses Tettey how he should; he''s a defensive midfielder and should be used as so, shielding the back four.

The Forrest players needed moving out of their positions, defending for their lives; space needed to be created on the pitch. Therefore the clever idea of leaving Redmond out despite his good performance against Huddersfield turned out to be a masterstroke. Because we were playing centre midfielders (howson and Johnson) on the wings, they drew the Forrest wingers infield with them, leaving space for Whittaker and Olsson to bomb on and create a real impact, which they did, Olsson providing an assist, as well as getting the penalty (if my memory is correct).

We played at the right pace, not committing too many people forward and losing the ball and trying to create space by making the pitch wide, but playing the centre backs closer together. All round, a fantastic tactical display. So glad we''re finally playing smart playing with a defensive mid.

Congrats to AN. Nearly there.

[quote user="mrs miggins"] Congrats AN. Nearly there.[/quote]

No we''re not.  Not by a long chalk.  It is going to be one heck of a battle/struggle to get the points we need.  Every match is going to be incredibly pressurised - there are no easy games and no points are a given.  We can do it, but it will take a big, big effort.   AN has done well - is doing well - but I''d save the "Congrats to AN" myself - until we actually achieve something. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="mrs miggins"] Congrats AN. Nearly there.[/quote]

No we''re not.  Not by a long chalk.  It is going to be one heck of a battle/struggle to get the points we need.  Every match is going to be incredibly pressurised - there are no easy games and no points are a given.  We can do it, but it will take a big, big effort.   AN has done well - is doing well - but I''d save the "Congrats to AN" myself - until we actually achieve something. 

[/quote]so you didn''t congratulate AN on winning MOM for February award on the basis that ''he hasnt acheived anything yet?''

[quote user="mrs miggins"]so you wouldn''t congratulate him on his tactical nous today then LDC?[/quote]

Yes, but your "nearly there" afterwards suggested the congrats were because we were "nearly there" - but I just don''t think we are nearly there.........long way to go yet - or that''s what it feels like to me.

See what you mean ldc, personally, I don''t think there is a long way to go. We''ve got 7 games left, whoever holds their nerve the best will win this league. There will be ups and downs, but he''s got us into a fantastic position to achieve promotion.

Forrest post match interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3-3GDZygA&feature=youtu.be

I love his honesty in the post match interview, one thing is certain, everybody in that squad will know exactly where they stand with our manager.

seen him win promotion with accies via the play offs last season in a two leg final v hibs .he is a fighter .

[quote user="lake district canary"]but I just don''t think we are nearly there.........long way to go yet - or that''s what it feels like to me.[/quote]Having spent two years bigging Chris Hughton UP you now try to put a downer on AN.You really are a strange chap.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]but I just don''t think we are nearly there.........long way to go yet - or that''s what it feels like to me.[/quote]Having spent two years bigging Chris Hughton UP you now try to put a downer on AN.You really are a strange chap.[/quote]

Who said I''m putting a downer on AN??    I think he is fantastic.   I just don''t like to see people getting ahead of themselves thinking that promotion is almost there.........there is a long way to go yet.  Deciding who gets promoted will probably go to the last game of the season.

Dundee is like a goldfish bowl everyone knows somebody that knows ya ..and the rivalry between the two teams is just banter we all drink together before games .

Jeez LDC, the inference, and massive clue, was in the ''nearly there'' comment. Nothing said that the job had been done etc

I for one, am enjoying the win tonight, and will do, until the next game. I am not going to wait until after the Fulham game to (hopefully) enjoy the season, and praise AN, and all that he has produced since he has been here

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Jeez LDC, the inference, and massive clue, was in the ''nearly there'' comment. [/quote]

You can only go on what people write.  "Nearly there" has an inference that doesn''t sit comfortably with me.  As for AN, I''ve said many times I think he is fantastic for us.  But the goal is promotion, not just a win today - fantastic as it was.  "Praise?" - yes.  "Congratulations?" yes.......when we win promotion.

Come on LDC. You are not stupid, so please don''t split hairs

The nearly there comment, is because we are 2 points off the automatic places, with only a handful of games to go. No one has said that the work has been done. the congratulations was for the great work AN has done, as at the 21st Mar 2015.

Like I said, I am going to enjoy the moment, you can sit there staying as calm as you like, that is your perogative

We''re nearly there tonight. Last week we could kiss it goodbye. I''m just thankful I''m a yellow & green specs wearing happy clapper. Every week I can see positives. ;)

MOM, deserves praise, having us knocking on the door deserves praise, for keeping our season well and truly alive deserves praise, if carlsberg did football managers....................

Nearly there means we are close but not yet there. Which is exactly what he meant. Nobody said AN can take the rest of the season off. But, it is 80% done, or in other words, NEARLY over.

Lighten up, LDC. It was a good point for all non tight ahsses to enjoy the ride rather than refuse to until it''s finished.

Congratulations on finally realising Pepe le Peu isn''t good enough for this league. Give him back to the no mark team we got him from.