Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Jack Butland England Call-up

I don''t want this to come across as a biased petition to get John Ruddy an England call-up, but I don''t understand how Jack Butland keeps getting called up to the National squad!

What has he done in his short career to suggest that he has earned the right to play international football?

A quick google search will show you that he has only managed to make 3 appearances in the Premier League and has been shipped out on loan, with mixed results, to mainly average Championship sides.

I''m sure he has a reputation as a promising young keeper, and people will say that the experience being around the squad will be good for him, but our national team has a problem with fast-tracking young players into the first team squad before they''ve proven anything. It builds up their ego and makes them think that they''ve ''made it''.

These players need to do the same as everyone else - work their nuts off and earn the right to be at the top.

Perhaps he''s in good form for his club and doesn''t spill every easy shot that comes his way, can kick straight and doesn''t fumble crosses into his own net in a laughable fashion.

Just a thought.

Who really cares. Ruddy will never ever be england number 1 but potentially Jack Butland could be in 5 years time so why not get him in around the squad. Hart and Forster are so far ahead of Ruddy now. Ruddy is not the keeper he was 2 years ago.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Sorry, that wasn''t meant for you CJRV.

I would like him to prove his worth to the squad; it''s too easy for him.[/quote]I would prefer him to prove his worth for those who pay him. We are entering a very defining time for the club, players do not need meaningless distractions at this stage.

Of course Butland doesn''t fumble crosses into his own net, because he never gets a game-a perfect choice for the England squad because Hodgson will never play anyone other than Joe Hart.

[quote user="STFU"]Of course Butland doesn''t fumble crosses into his own net, because he never gets a game-a perfect choice for the England squad because Hodgson will never play anyone other than Joe Hart.[/quote]

If Ruddy wants to get back into the England squad he has to join a different team. I think he is a good enough keeper, but he won''t get picked again playing for Norwich. If he went to a top 8 PL side and never played, he would be in the squad because he would be training and around better players and would become a better player.

I hope that Ruddy prefers to actually play every week and stays with us. But he won''t get better.

I doubt Ruddy will get another look in under Hodgson, no matter who he plays for or how well he plays.I imagine he burned his bridges when he told Hodgson how he felt when being excluded from the World Cup squad at the expense of one of his favourites who previously turned his back on England.When Hodgson is replaced perhaps Ruddy will be still good enough and young enough to return.