Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Are we protecting Ruddy well enough

After the Derby game, I like a few others I''m sure took particular interest in how we set up in defending corners. On every occasion no defender stood near to Ruddy or even on the goal line.

I then observed a few games played over the weekend on the TV and on nearly every occasion a team that was defending a corner protected it''s keeper with a player right beside him pushing the attacker away.

I also noticed that most Premership keepers stood with their hands in the air so that they could not be trapped in the way that Ruddy''s arm was clearly held in the build up to the goal v Derby.

What do others think?

[quote user="Mutley"]After the Derby game, I like a few others I''m sure took particular interest in how we set up in defending corners. On every occasion no defender stood near to Ruddy or even on the goal line.

I then observed a few games played over the weekend on the TV and on nearly every occasion a team that was defending a corner protected it''s keeper with a player right beside him pushing the attacker away.

I also noticed that most Premership keepers stood with their hands in the air so that they could not be trapped in the way that Ruddy''s arm was clearly held in the build up to the goal v Derby.

What do others think?[/quote]First and foremost this shows that Ruddy should have had his hands in the air too.Yeah I saw the nonsense that went on in the Hull - Chelsea game at some of the corners and it needs sorting out, as its getting worse. And having a player at the keepers side to push other players away, when did this become part of the game?Players deliberately impeding keepers, with no intention of ever playing the ball, its just ridiculous. Perhaps another official behind the goal could help?

It all started with Stoke under Pulis.  He started the whole ''prevent the goal keeper from coming for the ball'' at set pieces.  Jon Walters did it all the time, other teams have seen how successful it is, and now they all do it - us included. 

So much goes on at corners, its impossible to see who''s fouling who, but 9 times out of 10, if a foul is given, it''ll be for the defending team.  When was the last time you saw a penalty given for a foul by a keeper from a corner?  Most keepers can - and should - give the striker a big shove to get them out of the way, or as Mutley says, get another player to do the same.

Or you do what Ruddy did to Drogba a few years ago - he didn''t try to crowd him out after he got pole-axed by him, did he!!