Sign in to follow this  
?

Best Player to Never Win POTS

Following on from a discussion in the pub after the game yesterday, i thought it''d be interesting to see the opinions of people on here.So, as the title says, who''s the best ever Norwich player to never win The Barry Butler Memorial Trophy?Predictably, this all came up after someone suggested Wes. He''s certainly a good shout for me, but the seasons of the early to mid 90s must hold some candidates. Fox or Robins, maybe? A little later, but Bellamy?My knowledge is hazy of the pre-80s, having not been born, but i daresay there''d be some suggestions from some of the older fans.

[quote user=""]Following on from a discussion in the pub after the game yesterday, i thought it''d be interesting to see the opinions of people on here.So, as the title says, who''s the best ever Norwich player to never win The Barry Butler Memorial Trophy?Predictably, this all came up after someone suggested Wes. He''s certainly a good shout for me, but the seasons of the early to mid 90s must hold some candidates. Fox or Robins, maybe? A little later, but Bellamy?My knowledge is hazy of the pre-80s, having not been born, but i daresay there''d be some suggestions from some of the older fans.[/quote]Bellamy was probably on target to that season Muscat finished it early for him.Heres a list of winners.Clicky linky.

Crook is a great shout.Thanks for the link, Morty.

[quote user=""]Crook is a great shout.Thanks for the link, Morty.[/quote]Aye, agree with Crook. Even though he was in a great side, its surprising.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Paul Haylock - what were people thinking?[/quote]Could say the same about Lee Croft lol.Perhaps a measure of how far we had sunk at the time.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Paul Haylock - what were people thinking?[/quote]Could say the same about Lee Croft lol.Perhaps a measure of how far we had sunk at the time.[/quote]Was probably for the goal in the derby. 

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Paul Haylock - what were people thinking?[/quote]Could say the same about Lee Croft lol.Perhaps a measure of how far we had sunk at the time.[/quote]Was probably for the goal in the derby. 

[/quote]You''re probably right.But it shows how much of a misnomer "Player of the season" actually is.You only have to look at this season, and a fine case in example is Bradley Johnson. Roundly slagged by many, but scores a few goals and he''s sliced bread.I think it can be summed up by the phrase "Fans are fickle" lol.

Undoubtedly so, Morty, but i''m not sure Johnson is a good example of it.Might just be my experiences, but aside from a vociferous few on this forum, i''ve always got the impression most City fans appreciate Johnson''s qualities. It''s just that this season, with the addition of his goals, those people have become more vocal in their praise, in turn.Crofts, on the other hand, is a prime example of it. POTS for essentially one goal... But that said, there wasn''t a whole lot of competition in that utterly abysmal season. Even reading the squad list makes me wince.Back on topic, i was only young but i remember Dave Phillips being brilliant. Surprised he never won it, reading that Wiki link.

Why was there no voting in 1980?

Justin Fashanu must surely have come close to winning it? If not for the 79/80 (goal of the season) season, but for the following season (80/81).

[quote user=""]Undoubtedly so, Morty, but i''m not sure Johnson is a good example of it.Might just be my experiences, but aside from a vociferous few on this forum, i''ve always got the impression most City fans appreciate Johnson''s qualities. It''s just that this season, with the addition of his goals, those people have become more vocal in their praise, in turn.Crofts, on the other hand, is a prime example of it. POTS for essentially one goal... But that said, there wasn''t a whole lot of competition in that utterly abysmal season. Even reading the squad list makes me wince.Back on topic, i was only young but i remember Dave Phillips being brilliant. Surprised he never won it, reading that Wiki link.[/quote]I''m not so sure, and I don''t mean to be demeaning about our fanbase, but your example shows people are dazzled by goals.People who know a bit more appreciate a player like Johnson, or a previous favourite of mine, Gary Holt.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Why was there no voting in 1980?

Justin Fashanu must surely have come close to winning it? If not for the 79/80 (goal of the season) season, but for the following season (80/81).[/quote]Remember its wiki, its open source. Its only as good as what people type on it.

[quote user="morty"]You only have to look at this season, and a fine case in example is Bradley Johnson. Roundly slagged by many, but scores a few goals and he''s sliced bread.I think it can be summed up by the phrase "Fans are fickle" lol.[/quote]Johnson has always had his good and his bad points, his shift out to the left has helped with the good stuff and made the bad stuff less important. He was never the most consistent passer and his reading of the game was no way good enough to be a Premier League defensive midfielder, it''s not too hard to understand why people would get on his back when he''s passing to the opposition in bad areas and then fouling to try and win it back. Was Johnson anywhere near POTS in previous seasons...nope.

[quote user="morty"]I''m not so sure, and I don''t mean to be demeaning about our fanbase, but your example shows people are dazzled by goals.People who know a bit more appreciate a player like Johnson, or a previous favourite of mine, Gary Holt.[/quote]Agree with that, but you have to admit, goals stand out. They''re what people remember, weeks or months after the majority of the game has faded from memory. It''s only understandable that people will take them into consideration more than other features of play when deciding who''s been ''best'' over the course of a season.Hence why the majority of journalist admiration is directed at forwards, i guess.I don''t think it''s any coincidence that Bradley has seemingly become a better player since Holt rejoined the club.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If goals is key, it will be interesting to see where (likely) 20+ league goals Jerome comes in the voting.[/quote]It will.I honestly believe people make their mind up in the last half dozen games of the season.

morty wrote the following post at 22/03/2015

"I honestly believe people make their mind up in the last half dozen games of the season."

I think a lot of the time that''s right, it''s what people have most recently be impressed by that looms big in their minds and has a greater influence on their decision making.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]morty wrote the following post at 22/03/2015

"I honestly believe people make their mind up in the last half dozen games of the season."

I think a lot of the time that''s right, it''s what people have most recently be impressed by that looms big in their minds and has a greater influence on their decision making.[/quote]Kinda short sighted though, but the amazing flip flopping of opinion shown on this forum bears out the behaviour pattern I guess.