Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

How big is your club?

The Daily Mail has produced a list of the top 50 clubs from the 59 to have played in the top flight based on the categories of crowds, global fanbase, trophies, average league finish, player quality and income.

City rank 23rd and the scum rank 37th. By the individual categories the rankings are;

crowds NCFC 25th ITFC 37th

fanbase NCFC 18th ITFC 44th

trophies NCFC 28th ITFC 25th

league finish NCFC 35th ITFC 27th

player quality NCFC 29th ITFC 38th

income NCFC 18th ITFC 28th

The non-premiership clubs to be above us in the list are Wolves and Leeds 13th=, Blackburn 17th,Sheff Wed 18th, Bolton 19th, Nottm forest 20th and derby 22nd.

What is that "Crowds" bit on about? Only Derby get more to their ground than us yet Wolves, Leeds, Bolton and Forest are above us. We only get what we get because we can''t fit more in as well. Too much emphasis on "Historic Gates" there.

Then Leeds rank below us on global fanbase? Do me a favour!

How are we 29th on player quality as well? The last 5 seasons we have been one of the best 20 teams in the land on player quality.

Ahh, so because we don''t have some random Hondurans playing for us, we lost out on player quality. Give me Cameron Jerome over Ramon Nunez any day of the week!

The list is based on the top flight that is the old First Division as well as the premiership. Bolton score better than us for crowds, trophies, average league finish and player quality over the history of the top division.

Wednesday out score us on crowds, trophies, average league finish and player quality.

what a load of tosh, if was measured since the advent of all seat stadiums whole picture will change, doing a report like this is very subjective and if was done on season tickets v capacity, trophy''s won and international caps, would be more meaningful, and show has been clubs for what size they really are.

FFS, the list is based on the history of the top flight. Clubs like Bolton have a longer top flight history than we do so historically they will have had bigger crowds, better players and the potential to have won more trophies.

Crowds is based on current pulling power and historical gates.

Global fan base is based on the number of followers on social media as every club has official accounts.

Trophies score 10 for European cup/champions league, 8 for top flight titles, 5 for FA cup and other European trophies won and 3 points for the League Cup. No points are scored for one off trophies like the Charity Shield. Losing finalists score O points.

Average league finish is since 1888/1889.

Player quality is based on number of players to have played for England and for countries in the 2014 World Cup as an aggregate.

Of course it is subjective although attempts to be objective are clearly apparent.

On the basis of this listing the top 6 are Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea,Man City and equal 6th Everton and Tottenham. This would suggest that the list is not that unreasonable.

It does show that, for all the binners harping on about their supposed trophy-ridden history, they are only 3 places above us for that score. The simple fact is that neither of us have won a lot - and if you really want to go down that road, sides like Huddersfield have won more than either of us.

A quick survey shows that 11 of the 22 clubs above us in that Daily Mail table have in the last 25 years or so spent time in the third tier of English football. A total of 28 seasons between them. They are Aston Villa, Man City, Sunderland, West Brom, Wolves, Leeds, Southampton, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Leicester City. Some names there that are unarguably bigger, historically and now, than Norwich City.It rather into perspective the view often expressed here that our one season in League One was some uniquely awful and unforgiveable crime against football.It hardly needs saying that many of the clubs below us have also spent time in the third and even fourth tiers of English football.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]A quick survey shows that 11 of the 22 clubs above us in that Daily Mail table have in the last 25 years or so spent time in the third tier of English football. A total of 28 seasons between them. They are Aston Villa, Man City, Sunderland, West Brom, Wolves, Leeds, Southampton, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Leicester City. Some names there that are unarguably bigger, historically and now, than Norwich City.It rather into perspective the view often expressed here that our one season in League One was some uniquely awful and unforgiveable crime against football.It hardly needs saying that many of the clubs below us have also spent time in the third and even fourth tiers of English football.[/quote]
I don''t think Aston Villa have been in the third tier since the 1970s over 40 years ago. They''ve only been relegated once in 40 years and were promoted the next season. Not sure their inclusion on that list is quite accurate or right for the point you are trying to make.
Not saying your point isn''t valid, just that trying to use Aston Villa with it doesn''t work in my view.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]A quick survey shows that 11 of the 22 clubs above us in that Daily Mail table have in the last 25 years or so spent time in the third tier of English football. A total of 28 seasons between them. They are Aston Villa, Man City, Sunderland, West Brom, Wolves, Leeds, Southampton, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Leicester City. Some names there that are unarguably bigger, historically and now, than Norwich City.It rather into perspective the view often expressed here that our one season in League One was some uniquely awful and unforgiveable crime against football.It hardly needs saying that many of the clubs below us have also spent time in the third and even fourth tiers of English football.[/quote]
I don''t think Aston Villa have been in the third tier since the 1970s over 40 years ago. They''ve only been relegated once in 40 years and were promoted the next season. Not sure their inclusion on that list is quite accurate or right for the point you are trying to make.
Not saying your point isn''t valid, just that trying to use Aston Villa with it doesn''t work in my view.
[/quote]You''re right, Ginja. Looking again, it was more than 40 years ago. I did say it was a quick survey![:$] But I think all the other clubs I mention have been in the third tier in the last three decades, and the six clubs immediately below us in the Daily Mail table have been. The general point remains, I think.