Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Metro: Akpom set to sign

Even if Loza''s and Morris''s sensibilities are upset (which I doubt would be the case) by the introduction of a 19 year old striker from Arsenal, the challenge right now is to secure promotion so if our manager deems it to be a good move then I fully support him. Failing that, the pacey O J Koroma is still plying his trade in England !

Loza and Morris ain''t good enough to fill that role we need at the moment. Becchio certainly ain''t either.

So bringing in this kid is better than doing nothing.

If he doesn''t do anything then it will be just a waste of a little bit of money.

Gets a couple of goals then it''s well worth it.

Think a few of you should remember the gambles pulled by Hughton with ''going with what we''ve got after the January transfer window'' really didn''t pay off did it.

I agree with AJ - this will be a great temporary signing to replace Grabban, and not Loza, Morris etc.  Their time will come if their progress continues. Akpom should fit in for the remaining 7 (or 9) games then goes back to Arsenal and Grabban returns for us for the new season.

Only watched Youtube clips of him but he appears to prefer playing down the left channel even though he is right footed. I appreciate that BJ is has more to his game but he is a definite replacement for the attacking half of Bradleys game with a shuffle in midfield to accommodate the defensive side. Bradleys one booking away from a suspension and we lack left sided options.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Only watched Youtube clips of him but he appears to prefer playing down the left channel even though he is right footed. I appreciate that BJ is has more to his game but he is a definite replacement for the attacking half of Bradleys game with a shuffle in midfield to accommodate the defensive side. Bradleys one booking away from a suspension and we lack left sided options.[/quote]

Don''t think so.  He''ll be a direct alternative or partner for Jerome.   If Bradley gets booked, we have alternatives there already - Dorrans is more than capable on the left.

If your on arsenals books from the age of 9 and you get offered a pro contract your not a bad footballer. I''m sure most on here would take afobe now he''s doing well at wolves? There''s still such a gulf in youth quality, I always use redmond & the murphys as a comparison, all good footballers but redmond is streaks ahead. Alex neil said he thought josh was one of the best on the training pitch when he turned up, so why isn''t he involved? Hopefully his loan can benefit us.

End of the day we need a squad, were lacking depth up top now lafferty and grabban aren''t available. Neil made a good point about the Prem clubs needing to keep hold of established forwards, if akpom and come off the bench and cause problems, 6 ft strong and quick. Id much prefer that than to end up paying £10 million or something at end of the season for a McCormack/Rhodes loan to perm deal, when in reality we could get much better in the summer with that cash if that does happen

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]If your on arsenals books from the age of 9 and you get offered a pro contract your not a bad footballer. I''m sure most on here would take afobe now he''s doing well at wolves? There''s still such a gulf in youth quality, I always use redmond & the murphys as a comparison, all good footballers but redmond is streaks ahead. Alex neil said he thought josh was one of the best on the training pitch when he turned up, so why isn''t he involved? Hopefully his loan can benefit us.

End of the day we need a squad, were lacking depth up top now lafferty and grabban aren''t available. Neil made a good point about the Prem clubs needing to keep hold of established forwards, if akpom and come off the bench and cause problems, 6 ft strong and quick. Id much prefer that than to end up paying £10 million or something at end of the season for a McCormack/Rhodes loan to perm deal, when in reality we could get much better in the summer with that cash if that does happen[/quote]

I think the clue with Josh is in the statement from AN, "when he turns up", hopefully his stint at Wigan will do him good and he will come back better for it.

Don''t understand the negativity to this potential signing from a select few. With Grabban out and Becchio deemed surplus to requirements another option is needed for a promotion push.

Admittedly I haven''t seen an awful lot of him but like someone mentioned earlier he''s been on the books at Arsenal for a long time and appears to be highly rated so can''t see this as anything else but a positive.

I''d also much rather us have him than one of our rivals taking him on loan. Forest seem to be one of the other teams strongly linked with him.

BJ''s Left Foot said : Bradley Johnson''s left foot"]Don''t understand the negativity to this potential signing from a select few. With Grabban out and Becchio deemed surplus to requirements another option is needed for a promotion push.

Admittedly I haven''t seen an awful lot of him but like someone mentioned earlier he''s been on the books at Arsenal for a long time and appears to be highly rated so can''t see this as anything else but a positive.

I''d also much rather us have him than one of our rivals taking him on loan. Forest seem to be one of the other teams strongly linked with him.

Forest aren''t a threat to us and Akpom joining them would be the next best thing to him coming to Norwich as Forest still have to play : Wolves, Brentford Watford and Ipswich

Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Yes Loza may be a similar type of player but Loza has flattered to deceive on a few loan stints at a lower level (generally starting well then fading) so still has much to do to prove himself and a scrambled tap in at Hudds does not change that. Relying on him to come on and change games at this level would be a risk.

I''m not against the loan market, far from it in fact and I''m not against Akpom. But that doesn''t change my stance.

There is a big difference comparing Akpom with Bent, Ince & Bamford. Namely that these 3 had all shown that they could actually perform at first team level.

One rather appropriate comparison would indeed be Bamford with regards to his League One loan to MK Dons a couple of years ago. Bamford was 18/19 when at MK and he played nearly a full season scoring 18 goals (a goal every other game). Akpom of the same age as Bamford was at the time, was on loan at Brentford and Coventry in League One last season and didn''t do anything.

Akpom could indeed be the next big thing. But likewise we have also seen the supposed next big thing plying their trade down leagues a couple of years later, so many times.

Harry Kane was labelled as a massive talent when he came to us and so it has been proven this season. But when with us, he added zero.

However you try and dress it up, Akpom hasn''t done anything at first team level. Akpom didn''t do it last year in League One, yet would be required to do a job this year at the top end of the Championship. Comments like he is highly rated, looks good on youtube etc etc mean very little in this regard.

Could Akpom be a ''success'', well of course he could. But what we are essentially doing is showing that we are prepared to take a gamble on another team''s youngster rather than taking a gamble on one of our own.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Yes Loza may be a similar type of player but Loza has flattered to deceive on a few loan stints at a lower level (generally starting well then fading) so still has much to do to prove himself and a scrambled tap in at Hudds does not change that. Relying on him to come on and change games at this level would be a risk.[/quote]

But no more a risk than relying on Akpom.

Gambling on Akpom doesn''t stop Norwich gambling on Loza or Morris - those players will still be at the club and will still have a chance if they can prove themselves. 95% of what a player does is in training, if Loza and Morris can show they are better there than Akpom then they will get further chances at the first team.

I would argue that the fact AN has given them both game time and still wants to bring a player in on loan suggests that he was prepared to gamble on them but hasn''t seen enough to warrant not bringing someone in.

Bringing in one short term loan for Norwich isn''t going to be detrimental to the promotion push, and can only be a benefit if Akpom can show what all the hype at Arsenal (and Liverpool who tried to sign him) is about.

It will also be a kick up the backside to Hooper who still seems to play like he is coasting through games.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Yes Loza may be a similar type of player but Loza has flattered to deceive on a few loan stints at a lower level (generally starting well then fading) so still has much to do to prove himself and a scrambled tap in at Hudds does not change that. Relying on him to come on and change games at this level would be a risk.[/quote]

But no more a risk than relying on Akpom.[/quote]

I also wouldn''t call Loza''s goal at Huddersfield a scrambled tap in.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

But no more a risk than relying on Akpom.[/quote]

I also wouldn''t call Loza''s goal at Huddersfield a scrambled tap in.[/quote]

A goal is a goal and Loza deserves the credit for it, but it is a fact that a youth player at Arsenal will have had better players around him and an experience beyond what we can offer young players.   That isn''t to decry what a good youth set up there is at Norwich, but being around a squad of top quality premiership players for quite a few years will have given Akpom an extra edge compared to our players, to go along with his already undeniable talent.

Agree with LDC - Arsenal lad step up from our 2 but wish we could have gone for someone with bit more experience

Surely Palace dont still need all there 4 x forwards now that they are safe - what about Gayle or Murray ?

Akpom isn''t going to be the best loan signing ever, he''s only being signed to cover Grabbans Injury. We don''t need better than Jerome and Hooper, the quality is there. Akpom would add a lot of pace for the closing stages of games, he''s also an unknown quantity and therefore hard to defend against. He''s highly rated at Arsenal and just like Murphy earlier in the season could be a good option off the bench

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I also wouldn''t call Loza''s goal at Huddersfield a scrambled tap in.[/quote]
[Y]
It was a well taken goal in a high pressure situation, he had to control the ball that was going behind him, turn and shoot with Hudds players bearing down on him.
It is only one goal but let''s give the lad the praise he deserves, reminding me a bit of the way Earnshaw played.

I openly admit I know nothing of Akpom bar is titi reputation.   However our manager sees loza & morris every day and in u21 fixtures,  has given them chances in the first team and still decides that it may be worth signing Akpom?    That tells me all I need to know (and backs up my concerns about the pair) - if Akpom with his pace and power joins I can only trust the judgement of our management team & will welcome him.

Personally I would be wanting to balance the experienced side a bit more (Akpom has 10 games on league 1 loan,  no goals),   both L&M are inexperienced and adding a third inexperienced player feels like a risk.  Who isnt playing elsewhere?   Lambert @ liverpool may be a step too far but he is a variation and knows whats needed to get promoted.  

However I think the reality is Neil is just giving himself options;  the transfer window closes shortly,  its unknown whether Grabban will regain fitness in time   One more injury (jeromes calf already needed resting) and the options become very limited.    I think its future planning,  thats all. 

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Strange comment about Loza''s goal Jim. And also strange that you now feel we need to replace Grabban while he''s injured yet earlier in trhe season you wanted him dropped and replaced by Hooper. That option is still there by the way.

I believe you''re right that we need cover for Grabban. But that shouldn''t devalue anything our own youngsters have done this season. Your comment about Loza''s goal is totally ungracious and uncalled for. By your reckoning Hoops had been on the pitch for 78 mins without being able to achieve a "scrambled tap in" whilst Loza came on for 10 mins and got one. I would gamble that if the roles were reversed you''d have been extolling Hooper''s ability to have come on and save a point with his natural strikers ability to score goals.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]But what we are essentially doing is showing that we are prepared to take a gamble on another team''s youngster rather than taking a gamble on one of our own.[/quote]

Halle-bleedin''-lujah!Take a seat at the top of the class that man!

Wouldn''t you rather taken a gamble on arsenal''s highly rated youngster than our own? Imagine if we had kane playing like he this season when we went down.

Better him than no-one

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Hmmmm.... De Laet a ''fantastic loan signing'' MM? Really?[/quote]

Consider the source with that one... Hooper was going to "score bags of goals" in this league, as he was "such a proven goalscorer at this level"...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Akpom is super, super raw but there is a huge amount of talent in there.

As mentioned he is lightening fast and strong, so will add an extra dimension to Norwich''s attacking options.

Seems strange people comparing him to the Murphys when they are wingers and he is a striker. Is his potential arrive going to potential get in the way of Loza''s and Morris''s development? Yes - but if he is a better player and scores the goals to get Norwich promoted should we really care?

Pretty much all of Norwich''s main rivals have used the loan market to great effect - Derby and Boro would be much further down the table if it wasn''t for Ince, Bent and Bamford respectively.

Also, it seems a host of Championship clubs want Akpom - getting him might mean he doesn''t go to Derby or Bournemouth. Which is reason enough to bring him in.[/quote]

All of this. I like Akpom as a player. Does what he needs to to have an impact, other than scoring goals. Kid works hard, and helps his team. I don''t see him as quite adept in front of net yet, he doesn''t have a lot of composure. Maybe he''ll surprise, but he''s better than what we have right now and by far much much better.

To be fair Jerome''s done unexpectedly well and is scoring for fun.

Grabban 22(10)= 12 goals

Hooper 15 (8) = 10 goals

(source= who scored.com)

Hooper''s been playing as a CAM. Although I''d prefer Hooper up top, when having to play behind the striker he''s still scoring (how much has wes got when playing in the same position? 5 maybe?). Classic Jaemae, are you related to $hitster by any chance?

I was assuming that Grabbs was out for the season hence the need to get cover just in case Hoops/Jerome got badly injured and if Alex felt that it was too big a step up or too much pressure for Loza/Morris. 
So  the big question is does anyone know how long Grabbs is out for , some rumours say all season, some say as it was non invasive surgery he could be back soon, hasn''t been any updates from the club has there?

We''ll soon find out about AN''s plans with him. As he is a replacement for Grabban, perhaps the idea is to start Jerome from the bench again as before Grabban''s injury, and let Akpom run defences ragged, harrass them and wear them down before Jerome enters the scene. If young Chuba manages to score in the process - even better... We''ll see.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]To be fair Jerome''s done unexpectedly well and is scoring for fun.

Grabban 22(10)= 12 goals

Hooper 15 (8) = 10 goals

(source= who scored.com)

Hooper''s been playing as a CAM. Although I''d prefer Hooper up top, when having to play behind the striker he''s still scoring (how much has wes got when playing in the same position? 5 maybe?). Classic Jaemae, are you related to $hitster by any chance?[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Hilarious. Hooper has scored more than half of his goals against teams that would be relegated from League 1 (in fact EXACTLY HALF OF THEM CAME FROM 2 GAMES) Then he''s scored 3 penalties HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH. Would you like to know how many other goals he''s scored from the 23 other games he''s played in? Go on, give it a go, it''s not hard.