Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Metro: Akpom set to sign

Also no, Hooper hasn''t been playing CAM. He''s been a withdrawn striker, yes, but he''s been FAR FAR higher up the field than Wes has at any point and has pretty clearly 100% been playing striker. So try again, it will be hilarious.

Well I agree with you on the De Laet point, he gave away so many penalties and cost us so many points.

On the Hooper front,his job is to link play up, like Hoolahan, however personally I don''t think this is his best position. I''d play him as a poacher because that''s where most of his goals have come from when playing for other clubs; being up top. However, like I say he''s still managed to score a lot of goals from the games he''s played despite playing this role. Saying that, I wouldn''t drop Jerome, he''s in the form of his life. I wouldn''t mind seeing a diamond v Brighton:

----------------Ruddy-----------------

Whiits--Martin--Basson--Olsson

----------------Tettey-------------------

----Howson----------Johnson-----

-------------Hoolahan---------------

-------Hooper-------Jerome-------

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Well I agree with you on the De Laet point, he gave away so many penalties and cost us so many points.

On the Hooper front,his job is to link play up, like Hoolahan, however personally I don''t think this is his best position. I''d play him as a poacher because that''s where most of his goals have come from when playing for other clubs; being up top. However, like I say he''s still managed to score a lot of goals from the games he''s played despite playing this role. Saying that, I wouldn''t drop Jerome, he''s in the form of his life. I wouldn''t mind seeing a diamond v Brighton:

----------------Ruddy-----------------

Whiits--Martin--Basson--Olsson

----------------Tettey-------------------

----Howson----------Johnson-----

-------------Hoolahan---------------

-------Hooper-------Jerome-------[/quote]

Fair enough, and I''ll stop. Jerome has indeed been a pleasant surprise, and far and away our best striker. Ultimately whoever helps this team perform to the best of it''s ability deserves to be on the field.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 23/03/2015 4:08 PM:

Bl00dy hell, you''re a changed man.

I think his mum has hacked his account

To stick with the original thread, the view from Arsenal is he will need a full season out on loan at a prem club (missed the opportunity for this season), and with Wellbeck, Giroud, Wallcot and Sanchez to name but a few, there is a way to go for this young man, taking him on loan now could benefit us next season also ?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Mr Jenkins wrote the following post at 23/03/2015 4:15 PM:

I think his mum has hacked his account

-------------

lol[/quote]

Well done.

Also +1 to LC

Although this isn''t an option now (or probably in the future) if we did go up next year and were looking for a young loan striker option, I''d rather it be a guy like Bamford than Akpom. they are very different players with different positives, but at the PL level a guy like Bamford is much more ready.

That said, for the situation now Akpom is a guy I''d like to have on a team. Wouldn''t expect him to blow people away, but he''d add a lot of energy as well as some strength and skill.

Akpom was offered a new contract earlier this season in favour of keeping Joel Campbell, who was farmed out to Villarreal on loan after having such a good World Cup for Costa Rica. I think that gives an indication into how good Wenger thinks he is.

Or Campbell, who also signed a contract extension this year, was used as a sweetener with Villarreal for Arsenal''s signing of Gabriel Paulista.

Slightly off topic but a player who is expected to improve enormously next season is Charltons Ventokele. Done far better and played far more games than expected this season and expected to get better.

As a player with a real seasons experience under his belt I will be watching his development with interest.

I''d have thought Akpom is a step behind Campbell.

Campbell needed to be playing first team football as he is far too good for the reserves. Akpom is still young and it isn''t as vital for him to be getting senior football at the moment.

Jaemae2 - every time you post on here, it is to slag Gary Hooper off, do you talk about anything else? Are you his ex partner or something?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I''d have thought Akpom is a step behind Campbell.

Campbell needed to be playing first team football as he is far too good for the reserves. Akpom is still young and it isn''t as vital for him to be getting senior football at the moment.

Jaemae2 - every time you post on here, it is to slag Gary Hooper off, do you talk about anything else? Are you his ex partner or something?[/quote]

pretty sure I talked about something else in this very thread. Reading comprehension is difficult, I know...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I''d have thought Akpom is a step behind Campbell.

Jaemae2 - every time you post on here, it is to slag Gary Hooper off, do you talk about anything else? Are you his ex partner or something?[/quote]

Clearly not because he just warms Villarreal''s bench instead of Arsenals. Wenger preferred Akpom over Campbell.

No De Laet played a few games under Lambert at CB, i remember him not being very good. He fell well down the pecking order behind Ward, Whitbread, Barnett, R.Bennett & Ayala.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Yes Loza may be a similar type of player but Loza has flattered to deceive on a few loan stints at a lower level (generally starting well then fading) so still has much to do to prove himself and a scrambled tap in at Hudds does not change that. Relying on him to come on and change games at this level would be a risk.[/quote]

Strange comment about Loza''s goal Jim. And also strange that you now feel we need to replace Grabban while he''s injured yet earlier in trhe season you wanted him dropped and replaced by Hooper. That option is still there by the way.

I believe you''re right that we need cover for Grabban. But that shouldn''t devalue anything our own youngsters have done this season. Your comment about Loza''s goal is totally ungracious and uncalled for. By your reckoning Hoops had been on the pitch for 78 mins without being able to achieve a "scrambled tap in" whilst Loza came on for 10 mins and got one. I would gamble that if the roles were reversed you''d have been extolling Hooper''s ability to have come on and save a point with his natural strikers ability to score goals.

[/quote]

Not devaluing his goal Nutty but by the same token many of our fans do get a bit carried away when one of our youth products does something, probably because we are all keen to see them do well. I like Loza and think he shows some promise. Hope he fulfils it but I''m not convinced he''s ready to play regularly for us yet and that goal (hit his leg initially then he reacted well) doesn''t prove that he is.

We will get the best from Hooper if we play him as a striker and with Wes behind him. If we don''t then we won''t.

Grabban should have been rested when went 4-4-2 earlier in the season but if we play the 4-2-3-1 then he''s the best in that role.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Its about the type of player we need to add to the squad I think as much as anything else. Without Grabban, we lack a mobile, quick striker who makes runs down the channels so hopefully this chap will give us that option. Jerome does get in behind defenses at times but he''s a different type of player who stays more central. As we have 4 away games then I would think this is in particular with half an eye on being able to hit teams on the break.

Yes Loza may be a similar type of player but Loza has flattered to deceive on a few loan stints at a lower level (generally starting well then fading) so still has much to do to prove himself and a scrambled tap in at Hudds does not change that. Relying on him to come on and change games at this level would be a risk.[/quote]

Strange comment about Loza''s goal Jim. And also strange that you now feel we need to replace Grabban while he''s injured yet earlier in trhe season you wanted him dropped and replaced by Hooper. That option is still there by the way.

I believe you''re right that we need cover for Grabban. But that shouldn''t devalue anything our own youngsters have done this season. Your comment about Loza''s goal is totally ungracious and uncalled for. By your reckoning Hoops had been on the pitch for 78 mins without being able to achieve a "scrambled tap in" whilst Loza came on for 10 mins and got one. I would gamble that if the roles were reversed you''d have been extolling Hooper''s ability to have come on and save a point with his natural strikers ability to score goals.

[/quote]

Not devaluing his goal Nutty but by the same token many of our fans do get a bit carried away when one of our youth products does something, probably because we are all keen to see them do well. I like Loza and think he shows some promise. Hope he fulfils it but I''m not convinced he''s ready to play regularly for us yet and that goal (hit his leg initially then he reacted well) doesn''t prove that he is.

We will get the best from Hooper if we play him as a striker and with Wes behind him. If we don''t then we won''t.

Grabban should have been rested when went 4-4-2 earlier in the season but if we play the 4-2-3-1 then he''s the best in that role.[/quote]

That Hooper and Wes combination has happened and Hooper''s gone shotless in a couple of them. yep, truly the best out of him... The excuses are hilariously pathetic.

Everything seems to have gone quiet on this, when is the deadline to sign, this Thursday?

Yep, Thursday. Wilson would be an amazing signing, McClaren''s United links should seal that deal though.

If AN not going to play 2 up front at home to Wigan - he will not start with 2 upfront against anyone

AN appears to go out to control midfield & then build on that - even when Hooper does play it is in the Wes role

Looks like we may have been beaten to the loan of Akpom by Ipswich - "@Stuart_Watson

Told that #itfc had lined up @Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom for a loan, but Varney/Wood form means may decide against before Thurs deadline."

No one has agreed a loan deal with Akpom yet as the player and more importantly the club are assessing the options before agreeing to let him play for anyone.

Arsenal were planning to not loan him out this season but with all their first choice strikers now fit and no more Champion''s League there is less chance for him to get minutes on the pitch.

Ipswich must just be telling reporters they have lined him up, but might not go ahead with it to make it look like they made the choice, rather than the player/Arsenal preferring to send him elsewhere.