Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

Lafferty on Fire

Just saw a vine of the second, he took it well.He looks a totally different player when playing for NI.

he never got played in his best position at CR, and he possibly could have done a fair job filling the injured Grabban''s shoes - but that is history now and I can''t see him ever playing here again......

[quote user="damn that Ralph Coates"]he never got played in his best position at CR, and he possibly could have done a fair job filling the injured Grabban''s shoes - but that is history now and I can''t see him ever playing here again......[/quote]I too have wondered if we''ll see him back.Really the more you think about it, he was an odd purchase.

It is an odd one. I thought it was a very cute signing, in part based on having seen Lafferty play well for Burnley as a wide-left attacker. I suspect what happened was that Adams found himself with more strikers than he knew what to do with, was aware that Lafferty had played widesish left, and so "solved" the problem  by sticking him out there.But I imagine there is a difference between playing as a wide-left striker and a wide-left midfielder-cum-striker, and Lafferty ended up as neither one thing nor the other. With his game suffering as a consequence. Whether Neil wants Lafferty back next season is a question, but I would imagine that if we got promoted the player might be keen enough to return.

[quote user="damn that Ralph Coates"]sounded like an inspired purchase initially as international goals are a good indication he could have done it in Championship - but a left winger he is not.[/quote]Perhaps it would have made more sense had we been able to offload Becchio.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It is an odd one. I thought it was a very cute signing, in part based on having seen Lafferty play well for Burnley as a wide-left attacker. I suspect what happened was that Adams found himself with more strikers than he knew what to do with, was aware that Lafferty had played widesish left, and so "solved" the problem  by sticking him out there.But I imagine there is a difference between playing as a wide-left striker and a wide-left midfielder-cum-striker, and Lafferty ended up as neither one thing nor the other. With his game suffering as a consequence. Whether Neil wants Lafferty back next season is a question, but I would imagine that if we got promoted the player might be keen enough to return.[/quote]

My impression is that he is a good player with valuable experience of  european football.  He did well at first and looked to be a quality signing at the time, with several whole hearted performances and some good strikes on goal from the left.  His form suffered with the team''s - it was just he that lost his way a bit and it looked at the time that he was the scapegoat because he was dropped, but Grabban - who was also not at his best - carried on being picked.   Out of favour, he looked out of sorts when he did get a chance after that - headless chicken springs to mind - which showed his focus and maybe some confidence had gone.

I think there was one game where he came on from the bench and was played up front - the result was him trying too hard and he nearly got sent off.   Subsequently he rarely got a chance, even from the bench.    In Alex Neil''s squad, maybe there was just no opening for him to break through as a left sided player with Johnson in there - so maybe the genuine truth is that he went away purely for game time.  

He was never going to be an out and out front man at this level either, because his heading ability is poor - but on the left - where he has spent a lot of his career - he may have a future with us.   However, the  fact that he went abroad again for his loan suggests that he may feel his future is there, rather than this country, where apart from anything else, he gets abuse for his perceived private life.

Does he train well? By that he came with a bit of a reputation off the pitch and usually with that comes a lackadaisical approach to training - which might not impress managers. Training doesn''t necessarily involve proving yourself at international level either - it''s just about learning the tactics - if you''re a front man you just need to be in the right place. He hasn''t set the world alight in Turkey either has he. Maybe we just let play out down the bars all week and then use him as a lump up front at weekends?

just to confirm that as an international "loan" he is contracted to his turkish team until the end of the season (rather than the more traditional local "emergency" loan) and no recall condition can be inserted/applied.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]just to confirm that as an international "loan" he is contracted to his turkish team until the end of the season (rather than the more traditional local "emergency" loan) and no recall condition can be inserted/applied.[/quote]So by all accounts possibly a blunder by our manager.

I imagine Neil sent Lafferty out as he probably demands 100% effort on the training ground at the very minimum and we''ve all heard about Laffertys reputation.

Think I read somewhere that AN had said that Lafferty wanted guarantees about playing and he wasn''t prepared to give them to him, hence sending him out on loan.

Proper Charlie wrote the following post at 30/03/2015 9:02 AM:

Think I read somewhere that AN had said that Lafferty wanted guarantees about playing and he wasn''t prepared to give them to him, hence sending him out on loan.

If that''s true Charlie, which I doubt in those terms, then he would have displayed an extreme lack of judgement.

I was at the match yesterday and can confirm that big Lafferty was indeed on fire! Two great goals despite being nowhere near 100% fit - he was busted after an hour!

He is very much a confidence player and has stated himself that Michael O''Neill has been inspirational in getting the best out of him. I would agree with those who allude that he isn''t the greatest trainer and I don''t think this has helped his cause at club level. At international level however, he thrives on playing up top with two pacey wide players firing crosses at him, although he holds the ball up well and brings others into play. I really cannot fathom why anyone would want to stick him on the wing.

Anyway, hopefully his international form will bring him back into contention next season or at least help us recoup decent money for him.

Link below to his goals last night (shot on a 2001 Nokia, by the looks of it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g90Q-UgyZu4

(clicky link please someone)

Just perusing the internet and found that he personally said that "limited opportunities" at City were the reason for him wanting to move.

Hasn''t exactly been starring or even starting for them over there, so doesn''t look like bad judgement by AN in my opinion.

[quote user="Proper Charlie"]Just perusing the internet and found that

he personally said that "limited opportunities" at City were the reason

for him wanting to move.

Hasn''t exactly been starring or even starting for them over there, so

doesn''t look like bad judgement by AN in my opinion.[/quote]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g90Q-UgyZu4Well taken goals without a doubt, but if he says he wants more opportunities at a club in this country, he will probably need to go to a more lowly club to get them and then work his way up.   The daft thing is he was given the number 9 shirt at Norwich, then virtually never used up front.  

I have to agree LDC, I''m not slating the guy in any way shape or form, I like his passion and commitment and the way he plays, but unfortunately for him we do have other strikers ahead of him in the pecking order.